WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Solar Charging

Default Solar Charging

I have been thinking about electronics, batteries, recharging etc. and am wondering if bringing a solar charger would be worth it. I've heard that maybe there's too much shade on most of the trail to get much charge from a small solar panel. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are especially those who have hiked the AT before. I could definitely strap the panel to the back of my pack so it could be exposed pretty much all day while I'm hiking. My thought is that that could probably be worthwhile but maybe not.

I'm (hopefully) going to be travelling rather quickly and likely won't be sticking around in towns too much so I'm hoping this might work so I don't have to plug in to an outlet. Obviously I'll bring an external battery but if the solar might work then I'll probably bring a much smaller battery.

Thanks all for your advice/input/experience!

-Frank

solar isn't going to work. get a "fast" wall charger and a good battery bank.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

***Compatible with LightSaver accessories, NOT standard PowerFilm accessories (RA-7, RA-13, ETC.)***
    The PowerFilm LightSaver USB solar panel provides maximum portability in a solar powered cellphone charger. Charge your phone or other device with solar power even when the sun isn't shining. The LightSaver rollable solar charger features a built-in, lithium ion battery to provide power to your device anytime.
    The battery can be recharged either from solar power (in about 6 hours of full sunlight) or by using the included USB micro cable (in about 3 hours). Simply unroll the thin-film solar panel to recharge the battery, wrap it up and take with you. You'll then be able to use solar power to charge your device on-the-go.
    The LightSaver’s flexible solar module wraps around the outside of the core taking up minimal space in your pack, pocket, or bag. When you're ready to recharge the LightSaver, unroll the panel to expose it to the sun. Four attachments points located at each corner allow for easy mounting to a variety of surfaces.

<strong>

42 watt

https://solarmade.com/products/r-42?...pr_seq=uniform

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    solar isn't going to work. get a "fast" wall charger and a good battery bank.
    Ditto on this. Solar not worth it.

If you were a long distance boater, solar makes sense as the panel can be large and oriented towards the sun. If you were a desert night hiker and slept during the day, setting up a panel while you were sleeping also would make sense but the problem is for a typical hiker unless the panel is on top of your head facing upwards, the vast majority of the time the panel is not optimally oriented to the sun so its output is minimal.

Better to reduce battery drain.
    Airplane mode, and turn off WiFi, Bluetooth.
    Go into (on iPhone) location services and set most apps to never.
    Use old timey wired ear buds for music.
    Only turn on GPS on Farout when you need it.

Images

Solar panels work great out west. Attach it to the top of your pack while you hike, run a cord and keep the battery inside your pack so it stays cool. Charge your device at night from the battery. On the AT, solar panels are not at all useful.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Better to reduce battery drain.
    Airplane mode, and turn off WiFi, Bluetooth.
    Go into (on iPhone) location services and set most apps to never.
    Use old timey wired ear buds for music.
    Only turn on GPS on Farout when you need it.

this is the first step. Use the phone for photos and GPS only. And even then only turn it on when you are actually using it. You should get five days or a week. If you need more then consider solar charging to a battery bank. You likely won’t get enough to recharge every day. But maybe once a week is doable.

you’re gonna pay the weight tax however.

Ditto... I carried a 10000mah battery pack and 3 port QC charger and cables for my Samsung phone and Garmin Inreach. Leaving town with everything charged, I could easily go 7 days using both devices.

My phone was kept in airplane mode with GPS on and used for FarOut mapping, photos and keeping a journal. The Inreach was set to 10 minute waypoints and I sent SMS every night to check in. Both devices off at night. I occasionally took it out of airplane mode when I got near my next stop to reserve a room or order a pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    Ditto... I carried a 10000mah battery pack and 3 port QC charger and cables for my Samsung phone and Garmin Inreach. Leaving town with everything charged, I could easily go 7 days using both devices.

My phone was kept in airplane mode with GPS on and used for FarOut mapping, photos and keeping a journal. The Inreach was set to 10 minute waypoints and I sent SMS every night to check in. Both devices off at night. I occasionally took it out of airplane mode when I got near my next stop to reserve a room or order a pizza.
    I also used a 10k pack and all was charged headed out. Was tighter on use during the day, with GPS mostly off. But didn’t turn phone off at night, as I used it for alarm. I could squeeze out 7 days, but it was tough. But must confess I would sometimes turn on cell data and surf news a bit.

Images

I have been using a solar charger for many years now, and it has always worked at keeping the batteries charged. I once received a laugh from a fellow hiker at Elk Garden who couldn't believe I would carry a few extra ounces of something totally useless as a solar panel. He managed a thank you when I charged his phone for him at the next shelter. Hike your own hike, and don't forget to share.

Comeback Jack
    sooner or later there comes a time

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

When I researched solar chargers for a JMT thru hike, reviews said you need something that can provide at least 10 watts of power, and THATS for sunny trials like the JMT in California.
    Given the amount of leaf cover along the AT, I would think it would require a solar panel that probably weights far too much to be of service for the few periods direct sunlight is available.

Why carry something else? I go to the hostel or hotel for rechange. Thus saving weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    Why carry something else? I go to the hostel or hotel for rechange. Thus saving weight.
    sometimes you are out for awhile and town is not an option. And it’s good to have other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    OP implied they’d be moving fast and not sticking around town. Here is an article with so good info, esp about wall chargers and cables. https://thetrek.co/the-ultimate-guid...g-electronics/

Also you do come across outlets at odd places on the trail. You’ll find them. They won’t cover the whole need by any means, but they’ll help. Best recharge on the trail is Bellvale Creamery near Greenwood Lake. Okay, .1 off trail. Great ice cream to recharge a hiker and watts for your electronics that are smart enough to eat ice cream.

++ New Posts ++