WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Gold fillings?

Default Gold fillings?

My dentist estimates I have about 40g of gold fillings.

I could replace them with about 12g of resin fillings she thinks.

She also thinks I would get about $1000 for the gold, she’d charge $600 for the job in total.

So I’d save an oz of worn weight and have enough for new lighter pack.

My friends think this sounds like a lot of work and pain, but they don’t hike.

Any thoughts?

Maybe yes for the “lot of work” but not so much the “pain” approach.

Just don’t watch “Little Shop of Horrors” or anything before going in.

That’s a lot of gold!

A local dentist in our hiking group would do work for cash. He somehow got known to be dentist that preppers trusted. They would pay him cash to yank good teeth and have them replaced with gold crowns. Their idea was once the SHTF and they were on their own that there wouldnt be dentists around.

IMHO, there are far better ways to shave ounces. BTW my dentist stated that gold lasted longer than the acrylic based resin systems.

Go For the GOLD !
    Ya only live once

Journal Entries

From what I know gold is about as good as a dental filling as it gets as far as practicality goes. Aesthetics and cost are its biggest drawbacks. Also moee tooth may have to be removed for them, but you are there now. Besides going into a unneeded procedure, you would be taking a downgrade in the process. Also gold often has 2 values, the first is the melt weight, but the second is it's value as it is, which seems to currently far outweigh its melt weight by far in your case. Is if you are reaching to really shave 28 grams just tie 2 helium balloons to your pack, or cut your hair and shave your beard. Happy Trails.

Probably not so much. The gold alloy is only about half gold. And you don't get market gold rate. I turned in a gold crown and got $25 for it.

Have you thought about selling your blood? (just say'in)

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Why replace the fillings? Just pull all the teeth and use the gold to buy all the protein shakes and soft food you need for the trail.

Guys, blood and teeth in full? Love it, assuming I can draw down a pint, that should save me a pound. Great Scott!

Problem is, once the teeth are pulled the desire to string them on a bit of rawhide to adorn one's neck completely eliminates the weight reduction. Nothing screams machismo better than stringing ones own teeth for adornment. <chest thump>

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Problem is, once the teeth are pulled the desire to string them on a bit of rawhide to adorn one's neck completely eliminates the weight reduction. Nothing screams machismo better than stringing ones own teeth for adornment. <chest thump>
    Good point, I’ll have to curb my enthusiasm. Hopefully those aren’t heavy thoughts…

Images

How much does a kidney or appendix weigh? Do you really need those pinky fingers? As long as we are removing things...

Quote Originally Posted by mateozzz View Post
    How much does a kidney or appendix weigh? Do you really need those pinky fingers? As long as we are removing things...
    Now we're talk'in!

-

thought only matty could come up with something like this - maybe he has a 2nd account?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    thought only matty could come up with something like this - maybe he has a 2nd account?
    He sent me one of his special vitamins and I took it. The kidney idea is a good one. Also wondering if I should just donate all my blood too and dehydrate the rest of me.

++ New Posts ++