WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is mid-June too Early for the Hundred-Mile Wilderness?

My question considers things like mud, creek crossings, services (resupply), or black flies. I'm hoping to finish my AT section hike this year, and wondered if the second half of June was a possibility here.

Its early, there are no services to speak of unless you want to get a package dropped off near Gulf Hagas. The big issue is black flies and mosquitoes. its prime breeding territory for both and they can drive people out of the woods. If you insist on going bring a bug suit that covers every inch of your skin. You will need a tent with big netting.

A midway resupply and a shuttle are the particular services I would need.

My options for the section this year, are either to finish before July 9th or start after September 10th.

Rain and mud can happen either of those times. Bugs will almost certainly be better in Sept.

Either Shaw’s or AT Hostel can do a food drop midway for you. (I find it odd that it seems to work fine there to drop buckets of food covered by nothing more than a tarp).

Trail was much quieter in June ‘21, when I SOBO’d than August ‘23 when I did that section with my daughter. I had no bugs in June, but I think I was lucky.

You'll have company, and meet NoBos and SoBos. A little buggy, but nothing a head net, DEET, and a tent won't handle.
    Spot a car at the end you're hiking to.
    Use the AT Hostel and Outfitter for a drop if you're heading south, or Shaws if you're heading north.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

i've done it in early june. so many mosquitoes i wouldn't stop...i'd pee while walking.

When Phil Pepin ran the 100 Mile Wilderness Adventures (hostel, shuttle), he had two resupply boxes in the HMW. For a fee (of course) one could provide him a resupply and he would stash it. He provided directions (it was maybe 50 yards off trail but one needed to know exactly where) and the combination for the lock. I know Phil sold the place but I suppose one could check with the new owners.

You won't be alone out there Expect mud and bugs; you won't be disappointed that way. Netting for the bugs, gaiters for the mud will help you manage the suffering.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

The old joke goes that I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you... works the same with bugs. Just bring a friend that the skeeters and blackflies like better than you.

And treat your clothes with permethrin - it really helps.

Yea I wouldn't trust or be ok with somebody leaving my food in a bucket covered by a tarp for 5 minutes. If a locking box isn't an option I would see about actually meeting someone there, even if it means getting there early and waiting to make sure I don't miss it. You would have enough cell coverage to be able to contact within a day or 2 of when you would get to the drop location for timing. I would also rather walk a few miles off trail to get the resupply then having it sit in a bucket. This is really a thing they do?

+1 on treating with permethrin, I swear by that stuff.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Sorry for the double post but get the 10% permethrin so you could make your own solutions as strong as you want/need. It is so much cheaper that way to.
    NoDoz
    -

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    Yea I wouldn't trust or be ok with somebody leaving my food in a bucket covered by a tarp for 5 minutes. If a locking box isn't an option I would see about actually meeting someone there, even if it means getting there early and waiting to make sure I don't miss it. You would have enough cell coverage to be able to contact within a day or 2 of when you would get to the drop location for timing. I would also rather walk a few miles off trail to get the resupply then having it sit in a bucket. This is really a thing they do?
    Yes. Shaws meets hikers at a road crossing, AT Lodge (now AT Hostel and Outfitters) has a cache site. Have never heard of any problems.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    Yes. Shaws meets hikers at a road crossing, AT Lodge (now AT Hostel and Outfitters) has a cache site. Have never heard of any problems.
    Teej

BTW, it is a beautiful section. Enjoy it whenever you go.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

Four out of five mosquitos surveyed recommend hiking this time of year. You will be among many of them. A few years ago I hiked Baxter Park about then and was eaten alive. Glad I had my headnet and bug dope.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

-

june is possible, july better, IMO august ideal

After due consideration, I think the mid-September start would be best as I'm bothered more than average by insects.

Thank you for your help!

Granted 2018 was one of the best foliage years (according to locals) when I went through, I would still shoot for early October if I did it gain. It was so beautiful. It also got cold at nights and had a couple big, cold rain storms during my trek through. Katahdin also had snow on it before I finished so it may not be all beautiful in October but it was about as good as I could have imagined for me.
    NoDoz
    -

My long term experience is head into the Maine woods the week after Labor Day, yes the bubble will still be there but the youth groups and college kids will not be on the trail. The weather is usually hard to beat. As you get towards the end of September the weather can change to cold and wet. These days, those cold and wet events are pushing into early October but it varies year by year.

-

black flies vary a lot even a week out is difficult to determine the level of misery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++