WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default White Blaze Pages PDF, use Openstreetmaps instead of Gaia for gps coordinates

As the title states. Has anyone done this? For those who do not know what openstreetmaps are here is the link - www.openstreetmaps.org

Not sure why I can't edit my post.

What I am trying to do ideally is get the GPS coordinates to open in the OSM applicatoin on android. I'm not sure how to do this. I have a partial work around using Librera FD, but it takes a few extra button pushes. I learned how to decompress a pdf it still looks obscure when i open it in a text ediitor. First i need to be able to read this file, or perhaps an advanced editor can help accomplish this task.

I will venture a guess that this is for safety in a winter hike, given your post about crossing the Kennebec in winter. In which case it’s for safety? If so, I would with all due respect to budgeting suggest that you safety is worth investing in the built for purpose Farout app.

Phil Werner on SectionHiker is a big winter hiker, and is thrifty. Perhaps this post will help you save a bit on other items. https://sectionhiker.com/winter-back...king-the-bank/

Apologies if this comes across as patronizing. I have a vegan in my life whom I care greatly for, and was thinking of her while answering you.

If you have a Garmin or other hand held gps unit you can download free topo openstreetmaps for the entire US and then you could enter any coordinates or get them for your current location. I love these maps and they are free, no need to subscribe to anything, download any apps or count on your phone for everything. Also just throwing out suggestions here but I like to keep my phone for calls/text and if I need to check weather or whatever. Might help save phone battery with a separate unit and it will be better then a phone app anyway. You could use these maps in Garmin Basecamp online (all free) to map out your routes and everything before and check all the statistics/tracking after and all that stuff.

https://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/u...-topo-routable
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

sorry for the double post but I meant to include this helpful guide on downloading those maps and getting them on your gps unit.

https://hikingguy.com/hiking-gear/ho...ps-for-hiking/
    NoDoz
    -

Being able to seamlessly open the link in the OSM app offline is what I want to do and yes GAIA needs a subscription so i wish to avoid that. No offense to Outside whatsoever they have some good material and are worth supporting, I would even say get the plus subscription for the magazine but for me I want to be able to be offline I only use the GPS if I get lost or take a long(wrong) turn. I did that on top of Madison, a common mistake from what I see. I do have the workaround now like I said and it mostly works already but I will continue working on this to learn more about pdf's/apps/programming.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    If you have a Garmin or other hand held gps unit you can download free topo openstreetmaps for the entire US and then you could enter any coordinates or get them for your current location. I love these maps and they are free, no need to subscribe to anything, download any apps or count on your phone for everything. Also just throwing out suggestions here but I like to keep my phone for calls/text and if I need to check weather or whatever. Might help save phone battery with a separate unit and it will be better then a phone app anyway. You could use these maps in Garmin Basecamp online (all free) to map out your routes and everything before and check all the statistics/tracking after and all that stuff.

https://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/u...-topo-routable

There is a lot of consideration on choosing which GPS to buy. It means having two devices which is cumbersome but useful in some situations. I'll have to do a lot of considering for that. I prefer open standards and being offline normally so I'm not sure about Garmin. Battery life is a huge consideration It will take me hours to decide on that, I'll take any recommendations on devices.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    I will venture a guess that this is for safety in a winter hike, given your post about crossing the Kennebec in winter. In which case it’s for safety? If so, I would with all due respect to budgeting suggest that you safety is worth investing in the built for purpose Farout app.

Phil Werner on SectionHiker is a big winter hiker, and is thrifty. Perhaps this post will help you save a bit on other items. https://sectionhiker.com/winter-back...king-the-bank/
    Ya, I'm itching to fill the Rangely to Caratunk gap, and would like to go now. Thanks for the link.

I have an older Garmin etrex 30x, it takes 2 double A batteries and has at least 2 full days of battery life. I like that it's not rechargeable and I could just bring more sets of batteries then I think I'll need. I keep it on all day for tracking and that might be under estimating at 2 full days of battery. It's at least that, I can't believe how long they last sometimes. I know it's an extra item but I like keeping the phone off and the Garmin is useful for so much plus I like it just for seeing other surrounding trails and stuff. It's helped me find/see a lot of cool stuff I would of walked by otherwise. Then saving your route on basecamp and being able to map it all out and see everything beforehand. Mark waypoints (coordinates) in the field or at home and transfer to your gps. Creating tracks at home and putting them on your map if bushwhacking or no marked trail on the maps. All this stuff for free with the maps I mentioned above. I really like the detail with the topo and zooming in and out, they have most well known trails, lots of lesser known, all streets and everything.
    NoDoz
    -

There are free navaigation apps that use OSM (I think). I use Mapy.cz on my Android device. It is a free App and you can download maps for off-line use for free. It shows most trails and topographic maps.

++ New Posts ++