WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The inventor of a hiker favorite has passed

https://www.yahoo.com/news/creator-o...050118754.html

I rarely if ever eat them other than when camping of backpacking, but must admit they are just the thing on a trip. The PITA is that they are so much better when warmed up and there just is no great way to do so in the backcountry although I have tried.

BTW, the brown sugar cinnamon is my least favorite.

Thanks for sharing! Brown sugar cinnamon is my all time favorite!! The new flavors, now those are awful.

It may be a hiker favorite but it's still one of the unhealthiest backpacking choices!
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Bob Moore, the founder of Bob's Red Mill, also passed away recently. My normal hiking breakfast food was based on that company's muesli, augmented with dried fruit and nuts. It still is a breakfast staple for me.

Pop-Tarts are just empty calories.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/13/b...smid=url-share

After months on the trail, Pop tarts were no longer a part of my mornings, but a store in NY sold a special edition of pumpkin flavor . . . . thought I was in heaven.

Images

Pop-tarts are Shugs favorite morning edibles; In his latest video he says: well of course I'd rather have a peanutbutter pop tart

Journal Entries

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — Breakfast pastry lovers around the globe held a moment of silence today after news broke that Bill Post, inventor of the Pop-Tart, had passed away at the age of 96. Post's surviving family announced that he would be laid to rest by being lowered vertically into a thin slot in the ground.
    "He would've wanted it this way," said gathered loved ones with a mixture of sadness and appreciation for the man who invented the world's foremost pre-made, packaged breakfast food. The touching ceremony followed Post's expressed wish for his remains to be kept warm and toasty below the earth's surface.
    "He had such a delicious personality," said one close friend. "Once you got past his crusty exterior and he warmed up to you, he was really sweet. You could always count on him, he was never too flaky. Whenever things got heated, it only made him even better. We're all going to miss the happiness he would bring to our lives every morning he was around."

Post's long-time coworkers agreed with the kind sentiments. "We all made a toast to Bill this morning when we heard the news," said a man who worked closely with Post for years. "Working with him was wonderful. Sometimes he would be a little too hot to handle at first, but after he had time to cool off, he was always enjoyable."

At publishing time, the finishing touches were being made to Posts's custom-made toaster-themed gravestone. Bill Post is survived by his wife, children, and his twin, who remains alive and will be kept in a foil wrapper and saved for later.
    Babylon Bee

in thousands of miles walkin', i never ate pop tarts or snickers

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Bob Moore, the founder of Bob's Red Mill, also passed away recently. My normal hiking breakfast food was based on that company's muesli, augmented with dried fruit and nuts. It still is a breakfast staple for me.

All calories are empty, as is life. Might as well enjoy both.

Pop-Tarts are a functional tool on trail despite being kids food at home. Indestructible package of carbs whether intact from a bear can or totally crushed. I eat them as part of my post dinner / pre overnight recovery calorie festival.

As for flavors, I used to buy huge boxes for the discount which meant having to deal with way too many S'mores and Brown Sugar Cinnamon. Now I say spend the money and eat only the flavors you like. Unfrosted Blueberry are always nice, but I won't turn down the chocolate ones
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

The US military produces First Strike Rations (FSRs)for folks at or behind the front lines. Soldiers were field stripping MRES to get rid of extra weight and packaging so the military came out with FSRs which require zero prep, rip open and eat). Each FSR is 2500 calories and the majority of the items in the FSRs are commercially available long shelf life products including pop tarts, jerky and corn nuts. The only difference is that almost everything is repackaged in heavy foil wrapping. Plenty of flour, palm oil and sugar based food, like very dense pastries, and sandwiches. They do have some specialties like First Strike Energy bars (some caffeinated) sweetened with dextrose, Zapplesauce (apple sauce sweetened with dextrose) and my favorite caffeinated chocolate pudding. The closest thing to healthy is packs of peanuts and almonds. They may be empty calories but that is what the food scientists at the military food labs figure they need to supply folks who are fighting wars.

If I have a choice I eat the non sugar coated strawberry pop tarts.

I have Bob's Muesli for breakfast every morning (with pomegranates and plain, whole-milk, non-strained yogurt). Not many stores in my area carry it. Most will have dozens of types of granola to choose from, but no muesli. It is very annoying. For hiking I just add hot water to it to make a mix that is way better than instant oatmeal (actually, just about anything is better than instant oatmeal).

Pop Tarts may be empty calories, but they are really good empty calories. I also bring French's fried onions to eat while hiking. They are also "empty calories", but as they have onions, I call them a "vegetable", the same way you can call a strawberry Pop Tart a "fruit". But the plastic tubs that the onions come in make good tubs to carry pop tarts in to keep them from getting crushed in your food bag.

Images

I never got sick of eating any food on the trail, short and long distance hikes.
    Pop tarts were almost always a staple, then I Hadn’t bought any pot tarts for a good while not thinking about it until after a long time, eventually I tried them twice and they were horrid.
    It was like after Quiting smoking for a long time then trying one(a cig).
    Like my body was screaming “I thought we dealt with not eating these non pastry pastries all ready!!!”

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/creator-o...050118754.html

The PITA is that they are so much better when warmed up and there just is no great way to do so in the backcountry although I have tried.

Well when you desire to carry a stove, you’ll be able to heat some up. Directly over the flame or on top of pot or inside your warming oatmeal cozy. Over a fire.
    Or if you happen by a tin roof getting sun, and sunny rocks can work as well.

Images

I love me some empty calories......man oh man they taste soooo good them Pop-Tarts...... whoooobuddy

++ New Posts ++