WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Noisy Airpad - problem solved

In preparation for the upcoming trip tp Portugal, I putting all our stuff together and do a quick testrun of several items.

Me and my wife will bring my MSR Hubba Hubba NX, and an Exped sleeping pad each.
    I've got a Downmat, and she's got a normal inflatable without down, both the same size&mummy-shape.
    They fit exactly into the tent, if we place them head-to-toe (we will still sleep with our heads at the same end, no worry).

One problem we found out: The pads placed inside the tent are extremely noisy, creaky&squeaky no end.

Now I thought of Tipi Walter who insists to place the groundsheet inside the tent, instead of outside.
    I have a groundsheet cut to shape for this tent, made of housewrap (not exactly Tyvec, but similar).

Well, I placed the groundsheet inside the tent, and the sleepingpads atop of it:
    Silence! No noise at all, whatever we move around on the pads.

I did not know that Tipi Walter suggests this but it is what I do as well with great results. I intent personally in doing so is due to hiking with a dog in part, every morning the last thing to come out is the ground sheet which transports the large majority of debris directly out of the tent. But I can see how it reduces noise as well. Secondly I put my pad inside a sea to summit expander liner, its like a stretchy cotton like material that makes the pad feel more like home.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

we will still sleep with our heads at the same end, no worry).

Seems like that takes all the fun out of it…

Now I'm not sure whether my explanation used the wrong wording, or I didnt get your joke, or it was no joke at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Now I'm not sure whether my explanation used the wrong wording, or I didnt get your joke, or it was no joke at all?
    I was making a little risqué innuendo. About a position where spouses have their heads at opposite ends being rather enjoyable.

Got you.
    Yes, we know how to enjoy each other...

++ New Posts ++