WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wrights Gap/Grassy Gap, NC campsite near NOC?

Me and a buddy are doing the NOC to Fontana stretch over an upcoming weekend, I wanted to dump camp the first evening after we start out NOBO from NOC, I see Wrights Gap about 1.5 miles beyond NOC and Grassy Gap just short of 3 miles. Anyone know if there is a decent place for a couple tents? Typically there is always something near a major road or waypoint like NOC but wanted to check here to plan the rest of the hike from there. Thanks!

Check out this thread.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...outdoor-center

I suspect with increased trail usage, these "sites" have expanded. Too many years ago, I found a very basic trailside cowboy spot say .2 mile N of of NOC. Depending on your arrival don't discount Rufus Morgan shelter one easy mile south of NOC with probably many good legal sites much closer. If the weather is clear and the moon is new, the stars should be amazing on Cheoah Bald. Good camping there. Anybody with newer info??

Good Luck and please give us a trip report.

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    Check out this thread.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...outdoor-center

I suspect with increased trail usage, these "sites" have expanded. Too many years ago, I found a very basic trailside cowboy spot say .2 mile N of of NOC. Depending on your arrival don't discount Rufus Morgan shelter one easy mile south of NOC with probably many good legal sites much closer. If the weather is clear and the moon is new, the stars should be amazing on Cheoah Bald. Good camping there. Anybody with newer info??

Good Luck and please give us a trip report.
    Good stuff here thanks for digging this up, will report back for sure.

++ New Posts ++