WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Iron Mountain/Old AT from Massie Gap crossing over at Rhododendron Gap into Damascus

Few Questions:

1) Is this trail regularly maintained

2) How are the views compared to staying on the AT into Damascus? (which I have done several times)

3) How is the elevation rise and fall compared to staying on the AT into Damascus?

4) Are there plenty of campsites / shelters / water along the way?

Any comments, concerns and information is Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks Everyone!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

It's been 10-15 years but twice I've parked at Beartree Campground and made a loop of the IMT (which is an older route for the AT). This is a standard thing to do and makes a 50 mile loop. I think its more like 80 miles if you loop from Damascus.
    1) Trail is maintained - I don't know how much but my recollection is that a lot of it follows old fire road. There are sections of it that are open to mountain bikes and horses. Also, I'm doing a bit of motorcycling now and I do know that there are times of the year when some of the sections of the IMT (and Va Highlands Horse Trail) are open to moto/off road vehicles. This wouldn't deter me from hiking. If you were really concerned there would be some schedule posted on the forest service web pages.
    2) I don't recall the IMT opening up to views - maybe there is an overlook to three, I'd bet. I do recall it being a very nice ridgeline hike with occasional views.
    3) Typical ridgeline elevation profile. Nothing major.
    4) There is at least one shelter. Camping is easy but not marked. I didn't stay there so I don't know what type of shape it's in. Horse campers were using it. I recall a spring/seep there that had hoof prints all through it. As far as water in general, it's a ridgeline hike so hit or miss depending on conditions. When you get to the AT there is a newer shelter (is it called Hurricane?) that has a year round creek.

For me hiking - I'd skip hiking out of Damascus. Over the years I'm sure I've spent 30 nights up in the Va Highlands. If I were doing the loop again I think it favors going clockwise and I'd make sure to stay at Sacles and at around Mt. Rogers - either that field/gap just past the Mt. Rogers trail or over on Whitetop or Raven Rocks, just to get two nights in the high country.

I haven't had to time to manage it, and my sense is that south of Damascus the IMT might not be as well maintained, but I've always thought it would be cool to park in Damascus and make a figure 8 loop with Damascus as the center point.

++ New Posts ++