WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Pancake dough?

Default Pancake dough?

I've made bannock bread on a stick a few times, and after watching the wife make pancakes the other day, it got me to wondering about pancakes on a stick.

I've googled it, went to YouTube, and searched everywhere, but they are all the same... Pancake on a stick, but with a sausage link inside...

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to make just pancake on a stick, and if there is a way to make the mix a doughy like substance.

I haven't tried anything on my own yet, but wondered if anyone knows if it can be done before I waste my time(and pancake mix).

Thanks!

Use less liquid, so it is similar in consistency to bannock bread dough.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Never considered that way.

Images

Form a shallow tray using nonstick aluminum foil to hold the batter. Support the tray with a forked twig. It's a variation of sorts:-)

Images

I'm going to try using 2 egg whites, teaspoon of sugar and 1 cup room Temp water to see if that will work.

This side of the dirt
    Images

Krusteaz make a pancake mix that uses only water and like @gpburdelljr said just mix it thick - not sure how it will taste
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Mac View Post
    Krusteaz make a pancake mix that uses only water and like @gpburdelljr said just mix it thick - not sure how it will taste
    I have a box of Krusteaz so I'll experiment tomorrow.

Images

I used 1 cup Krusteaz and 1/4 cup water. Mixed it with a spoon till all water was absorbed. I then picked up the chunks of dough with bare hands and tried to make it into a ball...........the dough stuck to my hands big time. I then scrapped off the dough and put it back in the bowl. Washed my hands and then while my hands were wet I tried again to work the dough and was successful to get it into the shape as seen in the photos. I then put the paper bowl of dough into the microwave and zapped it for 1 min. That was long enough to bake it thoroughly. I proceeded to eat it with butter and syrup. It had the taste of a pancake. This evening I'll try again and roast one on a stick. I will try using butter on my hands instead of water to roll it into a rope. Hoping for the best

Edit to say: maybe I'll just put that bratwurst size dough onto a stick and bake it that way
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zelph; 05-28-2024 at 10:57.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I used 1 cup Krusteaz and 1/4 cup water. Mixed it with a spoon till all water was absorbed. I then picked up the chunks of dough with bare hands and tried to make it into a ball...........the dough stuck to my hands big time. I then scrapped off the dough and put it back in the bowl. Washed my hands and then while my hands were wet I tried again to work the dough and was successful to get it into the shape as seen in the photos. I then put the paper bowl of dough into the microwave and zapped it for 1 min. That was long enough to bake it thoroughly. I proceeded to eat it with butter and syrup. It had the taste of a pancake. This evening I'll try again and roast one on a stick. I will try using butter on my hands instead of water to roll it into a rope. Hoping for the best

Edit to say: maybe I'll just put that bratwurst size dough onto a stick and bake it that way
    I might have to try the Krusteaz, never had it before but I'll try it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I will try using butter on my hands instead of water to roll it into a rope. Hoping for the best
    Add a little more dry mix to make it less sticky, or put some flour or dry mix on your hands before handling.

Images

My butter idea didn't work out like I wanted, too messy. I'll use less water and flour up my hands with mix.
    Thanks gpd

You may have been on the right track with the butter.

Way back when I used to work in a place that made pizza dough we would encourage it not to stick to the mixing bowl with lots and lots of vegetable oil. Once the dough was mixed we kept pouring the oil into the bowl until the dough would ball up on itself and could be lifted out of the bowl. We then let the dough sit in a heavily oiled pan covered with plastic until it was risen.

The only time we used flour was when feeding the dough through the rollers.

Images

Thank you Mikerfixit. I tried using less water and it worked. I used 2 fingers to knead the dough till it got into a rough shaped log and then I picked it up with my
    hands and finished shaping it without sticking to my hands. I proceeded to zap it in the microwave for 1 min. It cooked thoroughly. I'm not certain I could have rolled
    it into a rope to put it on a stick. I feel it needs to have something added to make it roll into a rope. Maybe melted butter added to the mix. The Krusteaz mix has a sweetness to it. More testing needed.

++ New Posts ++