WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shin Splints Are a Pain

After 5k miles of walking I have finally earned myself a god case of the shin splints. I have been dealing with them for 2-3ish weeks now, but only in the left leg, no pain at all in right leg.

How do I rid myself of this terrible ailment?
    I have a hike this weekend to finish up the foothills trail, only 28 miles for the weekend so I can take it real slow if needed, but after that I currently don't have any hiking plans scheduled for July or august but would like to do some extensive road walking during these months, possibly kickoff the Natchez Trace walk....

I have read that activity is not the answer for this to heal, and then once healed to work on building those area's muscle up...

The stretch goal is I would like to return to the CDT next May for a month hike, and I want to be able to crush miles (25-30's). I have always been solid for a week or 2 of 20's but its time to step it up to 30's and in order to do that I have got to get rid of these shin splints...All help is appreciated!
    Trail Miles: 5,154.2
    AT Map 1:
    ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(17%)
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

It’s in the same chapter as plantar fasciitis. Rest is the only thing that got me back up. I never really iced or compressed or elevated. I am guessing you’re the same go-getter mentality. If you can’t not walk or hike for whatever reason compression socks would probably help, or some sort of ace bandage wrap?

Stretching. It will take time and stretching several times a day.

For Plantar Fasciitis, my doctor recommended a "Night Splint". You sleep with it. And stretch a few times a day and within about a week or 10 days, mine was much improved. Just one example is below.
    https://www.amazon.com/BraceAbility-..._source=1&th=1
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Never had shin splints, thankfully, but I recently dealt with what I think was “Crepitus” or basically tendinitis of the shin, lower shin/upper ankle for me. I felt rubbing and could almost hear it creaking. The symptoms are similar to shin splints. Rest was the only thing that fixed it for me, only took a week of rest, no leisurely walking no walking the dog nothing, and the symptoms went away. I bring this up because others have recommended stretching for shin splints and that did not help with the Crepitus, so be sure to confirm what it actually is you’re experiencing.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

Has this been diagnosed by a doctor, or speculative trail physicians and a google search? If this is shin splints, it is something you can't just walk off slowly and will take a while to heal up to avoid serious problems like stress fractures. If you've not seen a doctor yet, do so at first convenience for a legitimate diagnosis and to start self treatment. The MD may suggest a physical therapist which I would do quickly to better ensure by late summer you will be back in the groove again.

Having some considerable experience with "over-use" injuries, it really needs a formal diagnosis to be sure it's not a tendon tear or other problem. I have been through two serious shin splint problems twice, once because I rushed the finish and started running again way too soon. The second time I actually followed the doctor's instructions, got to a therapist, and did all the exercises religiously. This is really the only way to "cure" shin splints so you can return to the hills.

My hope for you is it's a soft tissue injury of some type, but if not, don't shortcut the expert advice and good luck!

Frin experience inadequate nutrition in the short range 12 -24 hours has something to do with this. Bad nutrition and pressing on helps set this in motion for me. I could be misatributing but I dont think so. I can also get knee pain from not enough calories so I think I'm on the right track. Superman needs calories too and i think calorie deficiency is right up there with list of causes even though you wont see it it this link - https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints

Last year, I had a rathe sudden case of these that lasted one day but was gone the next, I felt real fortunate because I know this can continue. Turn it down a notch. Stretch, eat right.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints

Update: I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but I put a tendon strap just below my knee cap on the problem leg Thursday evening for about 4 hours and since that I have not felt any more pain. I did a 30 mile hike this weekend and it gave me 10% or less of an issue in regards to what it WAS giving me. I could feel that I had HAD an issue in that leg, but the sharp pains were gone and have stayed gone.
    Trail Miles: 5,154.2
    AT Map 1:
    ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(17%)
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Update: I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but I put a tendon strap just below my knee cap on the problem leg Thursday evening for about 4 hours and since that I have not felt any more pain. I did a 30 mile hike this weekend and it gave me 10% or less of an issue in regards to what it WAS giving me. I could feel that I had HAD an issue in that leg, but the sharp pains were gone and have stayed gone.
    Good to hear you found some relief.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

++ New Posts ++