WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Anything Besides TrailJournals?

I know TrailJournals is more hiker specific and gets a hiker more attention, but I don't like that I can't post to the journal through e-mail. So, I'm using Blogger instead.

What do you use? What do you like or not like about it?

I like Blogger, not only for the e-mail postings, but I can customize the way it looks. I can also leave audio messages through the phone with AudioBlogger.

On the other hand, I like the stats that TrailJournals keep and the way they host your photos.

Post your journals, if you don't mind. I love reading them (and stalking the gear lists).

Mine is: http://jenstrailjournal.blogspot.com/

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default 'it crosses 6 national parks' eh??????

name them please.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Default Sure

Six National Park units including, Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, C & O Canal National Historical Park, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, Shenandoah National Park, Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Images

Default hmmmmm

i dont think national historic parks or
    national recreation areas
    are national parks
    neither are national monuments
    or national historic sites
    or national battlefields
    a national park is specifically defined as are the above mentioned entities.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Default fine for the lazy....

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan
    are national parks
    or national battlefields
    They are all "national parks" (defined as "run by the National Park Service" as opposed to "run by the National Forest Service") though obviously they are not all "National Parks" ....

I'm... confused. What?

Images

Default maybe 'units', i'll give you that

not that it matters, in fact i've visited/hiked/paddled 235 Units so far, they are all outstanding in their unique ways.....now here is the question-
    Is the Appalachian Trail a National Park?

Journal Entries
    Images

wbdent Blogger software has its disadvantages. I have looked into using that for our site here and it is just not feasible at all. The main reason is the inability to insert a past entry and put it in the proper chronological order. Let us say you want to type in the journals for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. But you left out Wednesday. Well now you can not insert Wednesday where it is suppose to be with blogger software. Another problem with blogger software is the advertisements that you have to deal with all over the page and the popups that come up. I am not putting down your blog because it looks like you have put a lot of work into it, but the advertisements are annoying. But that is the price people have to pay for free blogger software.

wbdent There are other things that need to be thought out when looking into creating journals software too but I am not going to get into an in depth listing all that. But there is more to it then meets the eye.

wbdent At this time the only software out there for hiking journals that I know of that are any good is trailjournlas.com. So I would have to say hands down that it is the best only because it is the only one out there. Maybe someday someone else will come along with some more thru hiking journal software that will be better. Only time will tell.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I will be using spaces by MSN, check out the link below, this is much better than trailjournals. I love the email publishing, if I was good at HTML I could do all sort of fancy things. Of course, The fact that you can pretty much post what you want, no big brother is gonna come around and delete your entry, is always good.

2. I do believe the AT is a national park, the nps has ultimate control and decision making authority over the AT. The only two Police officers dedicated to the AT are NPS Rangers.

Geezer

are national parks
    or national battlefields
    If you go to the National Parks Service website

http://www.nps.gov/parks.html

and click on view all parks, you get to see all the National Parks as defined by the National Parks Service.
    Frosty

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I guess there are national parks (all lower case) and National Parks (caps & lower case). The former would include all "units" of the NPS, while the latter would include those units classified as "real" National Parks. Sure doesn't mean they aren't all good, and deserve ongoing public support.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Blogger software has its disadvantages. I have looked into using that for our site here and it is just not feasible at all. The main reason is the inability to insert a past entry and put it in the proper chronological order. Let us say you want to type in the journals for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. But you left out Wednesday. Well now you can not insert Wednesday where it is suppose to be with blogger software. Another problem with blogger software is the advertisements that you have to deal with all over the page and the popups that come up. I am not putting down your blog because it looks like you have put a lot of work into it, but the advertisements are annoying. But that is the price people have to pay for free blogger software.
    I'm not sure what advertisements you're talking about. Do you mean the little strip along the top? I know that people can choose to put ads on their site using ad-sense, but they get paid for doing that and it's optional.

I don't get any pop-ups when I open it. If other people get pop-ups when they open my site, I'll consider changing services.

And yeah, the chronological thing does kinda suck.

I wasn't trying to say that Blogger was the be all of blog services. I just wanted to see what other software was out there. I didn't meant to ruffle your e-feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef2000
    I will be using spaces by MSN, check out the link below, this is much better than trailjournals. I love the email publishing, if I was good at HTML I could do all sort of fancy things. Of course, The fact that you can pretty much post what you want, no big brother is gonna come around and delete your entry, is always good.
    Wow. I didn't know MSN had this. Was it easier to configure? I love that slide show.

And I wasn't aware that TrailJournals deleted entries...

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Blogger software has its disadvantages. I have looked into using that for our site here and it is just not feasible at all. The main reason is the inability to insert a past entry and put it in the proper chronological order. Let us say you want to type in the journals for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. But you left out Wednesday. Well now you can not insert Wednesday where it is suppose to be with blogger software. Another problem with blogger software is the advertisements that you have to deal with all over the page and the popups that come up. I am not putting down your blog because it looks like you have put a lot of work into it, but the advertisements are annoying. But that is the price people have to pay for free blogger software.
    I just figured out you can change the date and time of your post so that they will be chronological. See the picture here: http://www.personal.ecu.edu/jbj0419/DateChange.jpg

You have to click Post and Comment Options. I knew that I had seen that before, but I couldn't find it again, so I took your word for it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 20Something
    I'm not sure what advertisements you're talking about. Do you mean the little strip along the top? I know that people can choose to put ads on their site using ad-sense, but they get paid for doing that and it's optional.

I don't get any pop-ups when I open it. If other people get pop-ups when they open my site, I'll consider changing services.

And yeah, the chronological thing does kinda suck.

I wasn't trying to say that Blogger was the be all of blog services. I just wanted to see what other software was out there. I didn't meant to ruffle your e-feathers.
    When I was commenting I was not referring to your sitre only. I was referrring to all blogger sites. Your site does not have popups but some do.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Is the Appalachian Trail a National Park?
    I believe (and dont quote me on this!) that its proper title is Appalachian National Scenic Trail.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

20something, I don't know if anyone has said so, but I think your blog looks pretty good.

I share attroll's problems with blogs in general and I'm actually in the process of doing something about it for my own site. I still have the dream of doing a thru-hike (I did 1,400 miles in 2000). I recently began a project which was originally intended to be a blog built on top of a forum application, but I decided to move it to more of a hikers' journal instead.

Here's what I have now: http://www.bayloafer.com/journals

You can see, it's basically a simple blog as it stands now. It didn't generate much interest in the online community it was targeted for (though some are using it), but if there is sufficient interest from real hikers, I will do the modification necessay to include features to make it hiker specific. Some input as to what hikers want/need might actually motivate me. Feedback is most important.

Images

Nicely set up...I love looking at gear lists to see new ideas.
    I also use MySpaces with MSN and I like how you can change things with this Blogger one you shared...Thanks

Images

Default Yes you are right

Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal
    I believe (and dont quote me on this!) that its proper title is Appalachian National Scenic Trail.
    yes that's it!

It's a fine blog!

I've always loved that Mark Twain quote, the man sure could write.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++