WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Images

Might be a good alternative site for all those who abuse WhiteBlaze (a place for AT enthusiasts) by posting non-AT stuff and those who engage in pissing contests (oops, that new place says they won't allow that!)?

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 04-17-2006 at 12:51.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    Might be a good alternative site for all those who abuse WhiteBlaze (a place for AT enthusiasts) by posting non-AT stuff ....
    If the owners of this BBS have forums for non-AT stuff, then it is not abuse. Is it?

Don't like non-AT stuff...don't read it. Never understand why you kvetch so much about non-AT forums when you have a choice about reading them or not.

Since the owners of this site have setup serveral forums for non-AT issues, I would tihnk it is quite fine to post in the non-AT areas and not "abuse" as you say.

This site is for AT enthusiasts...not exclusively for the Appalachian Trail.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    If the owners of this BBS have forums for non-AT stuff, then it is not abuse. Is it?

Don't like non-AT stuff...don't read it. Never understand why you kvetch so much about non-AT forums when you have a choice about reading them or not.

Since the owners of this site have setup serveral forums for non-AT issues, I would tihnk it is quite fine to post in the non-AT areas and not "abuse" as you say.

This site is for AT enthusiasts...not exclusively for the Appalachian Trail.
    Now, this would never have gotten by the admin at PBF.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    Might be a good alternative site for all those who abuse WhiteBlaze (a place for AT enthusiasts) by posting non-AT stuff and those who engage in pissing contests (oops, that new place says they won't allow that!)?

RainMan

Like you just did?

What about whiners?

Journal Entries
    Images

Here is another site that has been up for a while now that never took off either. It looks to be a good well thought out site too.
    www.thruhikes.net
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Personally, I don't see a problem with new sites springing up. The new site under discussion has an entirely different feel than this forum and may become a place for those who choose a less 'wide-open / pretty much anything goes' environment for sharing hiking information to post & read.

WhiteBlaze is an older site and has evolved to where it is via trial and error. It strives to accommodate the entire hiking community. This new site, if it survives, will do the same over time. For now, it is small enough that the moderators can manage to keep a lot of the negativity that plagues all large sites - regardless of their topic area - off the site. I find that refreshing. The members generally get to know each other more deeply on smaller sites than on sites with thousands of members - that is both a good and a bad thing. Obviously, the number of people reading and commenting on smaller sites is smaller, but this is somewhat offset by the fact that people tend to respond with more depth on smaller sites.

SgtRock & ATTroll do an excellent job of administering this site and I know it isn't easy. I help administer a couple of sites (not about hiking) with similar-sized membership to WhiteBlaze and the problems are constant.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Think this could be the guy?
    http://www.berniewilt.com/blog/about.php
    That is the guy.

The new Practicalbackpacking forum doesn't seem to be doing very well - it dwindled down to just a handful of people discussing their hiking and gear preferences among themselves. It is far too heavily moderated for my taste - made me appreciate this place much more.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
    That is the guy.

The new Practicalbackpacking forum doesn't seem to be doing very well - it dwindled down to just a handful of people discussing their hiking and gear preferences among themselves. It is far too heavily moderated for my taste - made me appreciate this place much more.
    I signed up in order to be allowed to scan the member profiles and get a feel for the folks who make up the membership. No dice. I still wasn't allowed to view the profiles. I've lost interest in it as a result.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
    That is the guy.

"too heavily moderated"? I'll say so....

I posted a couple of times and got prompt private e-mails back admonishing me for the error of my ways. My transgression? I posted an URL incorrectly! My post was edited and "fixed" by the Moderator in Chief. Later I responded to a post that apparently had drifted "off topic." The second e-mail to me on posting something off topic was entitled "Gentle Nudge." The thread was locked after my post. I accepted the "Gentle Nudge" picked up my marbles and went home.

I thanked them, promised to be a good little boy and skedaddled back to Whiteblaze.net where I am free to be an idiot. Word to the wise, if you decide to post on their site, learn the rules, study up, and for heaven's sake, don't go off topic.

Say, Frolickers, and this is way off topic, I saw a great bumper sticker the other day and thought of you guys. "We stop at all dinosaur crossings."

Now I will wait to see if our folks at Whiteblaze have learned anything and will call in an air strike for posting off topic.

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana "Where Seldom is Heard a Discouraging Word."

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Yea, Forum....

WHAT FORUM?

KZ@
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Here is another site that has been up for a while now that never took off either. It looks to be a good well thought out site too.
    www.thruhikes.net
    It may be due to the fact they have a special hammock section

Yep - my whole thread got deleted b/c I asked about the copyright notice...in the PBF Help forum. It's pretty heavily moderated but at least it stays on topic. I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

The whole secrecy thing over how many posts you need to "earn" certain privelages is kinda irritating, though. I had to have so many posts before I could create a poll, and I'm guessing that viewing the profiles is the same way. Why should this be secret?

But it's his forum - I'll play nice as long as it's useful.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    The whole secrecy thing over how many posts you need to "earn" certain privelages is kinda irritating, though. I had to have so many posts before I could create a poll, and I'm guessing that viewing the profiles is the same way. Why should this be secret?

Maybe he could be persuaded to participate in a "forum reciprocity program" whereby WB posts( or a percentage thereof ) transfer like college credits.

Nahh! He probaby developed his "forum moderation philosophy" as a result of reading our threads on White Blaze. Different Strokes......
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Default Geez, enough already

There are internet Trail Forums that in my opinion aren't moderated ENOUGH.
    There are others that are obviously moderated too much. And we sure don't need any more overbearing ones.

For folks seeking nuts and bolts information about the Trail, especially those planning their first long-distance backpacking trip, there are, in my opinion, sufficient forums already; there may in fact be TOO many for most folks to keep up with. When information is too widely dispersed, it means that most folks will never see it.

If Whiteblaze folk want to go check out new forums, that's fine, but keep in mind that WB has become, in a few short years, THE best place to share and exchange information on the the A.T. If you want your message heard and read, and if you're really interested in sharing stuff with folks and helping the new guys, THIS is the best place to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    ...WB has become, in a few short years, THE best place to share and exchange information on the the A.T. If you want your message heard and read, and if you're really interested in sharing stuff with folks and helping the new guys, THIS is the best place to do it...
    Agree. But that one isn't just about the AT, and for us folks who no longer live near the AT it's nice to have a forum that's not focused on the East Coast. I know there are "Other Trails" forums here, too, but it's still nice to have a forum where I'm not in the minority (except as a hammocker ).

I wonder how long it'll take for PCT-L to migrate to a WB-style board. The format now is too cumbersome to me to bother with.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff

The secrecy thing plus several 'gentle nudges' were the deal breakers for me. I wish Ma Huasheng would post here. His post were among the best I'd seen anywhere, but he left that site.

Yeah - I got a not so gentle nudge about that thread. Really came across as "who are you to question me?"

Images

Default good news/bad news

I like that it's not about the AT, and that it's not full of silly, nasty name calling and such.

I don't like just how much of a control freak he is. But I can see how it's sorta the best way to keep the silly nasty stuff out. On the other hand, going off topic, or asking how things work there seems harmless, or a fair subject.

I bet the priveleges thing is meant to encourage you to put up a lot of posts so the site will grow. Just a guess.

Just goes to show how hard it is to run and grow a really good forum.

Geezer

If you want to try a good AT forum, consider

http://appalachiantrailservices.com/

It has forums, not overused yet. And the planning section is great. Every road crossing has a web page, and had information about everything a thruhiker could possibly want.

In fact, I think I'll post what they do have in its own thread
    Frosty

I was curious and had to check it out as well. Some things are that forum are annoying. I think Mr. Bernie is a control freak. Every WB should at least visit the other forum so they will realize how damn good we have it on WB!!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++