WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Whadya think of new forum?

I stumbled across this new backpacking forum. He doesn't say much of anything that I can see about why he started it, or what's different about it.

Anyone got any ideas, or opinions on it?
    http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums/index.php

I would be interested in knowing who the webmaster is and what the mission of their website is.

While we may not agree with all the decisions that Attroll and Rock make, we know who they are and have a pretty good sense of their core beliefs. They do not hide behind a trail name.

Why is this important? Long time members will recall that when this site first started the "thru hiking experts" were 2 moderators who both failed in their attempts. One made it to Gatlinburg, the other a bit past Damascus. How much was their expert "advice" worth?

I happen to be a moderator on the above-mentioned forum. Many people would ask the same questions you do; especially when there are so many other forums out there out already. I can't speak for the administrator but maybe I can shed some light on why I think it's a good idea and why I joined up.

Many of the new subscribers say that the reason they joined was because they recognised the names. This means we are attracting high-quality people who have a lot of innovative ideas to contribute.

PBF offers more sophisticated user control. In many other forums out there, you can't PM, post a picture in your thread, post a profile picture, etc. Even more "established" forums like BPL and backpacker.com are low tech in comparison.

Even though there are threads that are "more established", the activity is ridiculous. For instance, I've waited for days while a thread went untouched on BPL. This shows a lack of community, creativity, and enthusiasm. In the few short weeks that PB has been around, It's already proven itself (in my opinion). I just like the tech features and people we tend to attract. I'm not saying the other forums are bad. I'll always continue to participate in them, but it's time for something fresh and new.

Our forum is
    BackpackFlyfishing.com
    Tight lines, light packs!

Gear Talk with Jason Klass
    There is no such thing as having too many sporks!

Images

Default Jason...

Good points. I guess I just found it weird that the moderator (owner?) says zero about who he is or what his mission statement is. Makes me a little suspicious of his motives.

I tried starting a thread over there at PB asking him about this and he deleted it. Though he did PM me to say there's nothing mysterious about it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sierraDoug
    Good points. I guess I just found it weird that the moderator (owner?) says zero about who he is or what his mission statement is. Makes me a little suspicious of his motives.

I tried starting a thread over there at PB asking him about this and he deleted it. Though he did PM me to say there's nothing mysterious about it.
    I thought the same thing. They have a "Tell us about yourself forum" but he has not posted about himself. It is no big deal it will all come out in the wash sooner or later. Hopefully he has nothing to hide that way it will not work against the site later. I don't think that is the case though. I think it is just someone starting a new forum hoping for success and I am sure it is someone we know that wants to stay low right now. I hope them great success.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I say no big deal. I encourage the effort, as long as the forum establishes a good persona. He is right; there are a lot of forums out there. I personally like this on the best, because of the sheer number of knowledgeable offerings here, but even some of the posts on this one turn pretty silly sometimes.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Quick scan indicates the forum is in its infancy....did notice that beside the lack of mission statement and forum ownership that the for sale section requires all posting to be prior approved...also that you can not create a signature until you post number is up...but I didn't see the minimum post number stated...Personally this seems like forum to check each week or month to see if it develops....will put it on the lurk list....wait and see.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Looks like it is strictly backpacking - no politics or other topics not related. I wonder (and I have not searched) where the topic of the proposed I-3 would be over there? Perhaps a mission statement is in the works and will clearly define the sites purpose.
    So be it.
    --John

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sierraDoug
    I stumbled across this new backpacking forum. He doesn't say much of anything that I can see about why he started it, or what's different about it.

Anyone got any ideas, or opinions on it?
    http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums/index.php
    no hammock forum huh neo

I don't understand everyones need to see a mission statement on a backpacking forum. lol Maybe I'm not the expert online-hiiker that some are, but what's to know?

It's a forum on hiking. What devious ulterior motives could they have? If you like it, simply join the discussion.

Mission statement. What's your mission statement when hiking?
    "That's just like...your opinion, man." - The Dude

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Note that WhiteBlaze didn't have a mission statement or much of any structure for several years after it started, and then only because Sgt. Rock proffered the idea and drafted something. It certainly shouldn't be a prerequisite to start a forum!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    Note that WhiteBlaze didn't have a mission statement or much of any structure for several years after it started, and then only because Sgt. Rock proffered the idea and drafted something. It certainly shouldn't be a prerequisite to start a forum!
    The issue isn't so much the lack of a mission statement as it is the webmaster hiding behind a trail name. Who is s/he? What is their experience? What is their philosophy? Just reminds me of the original webmaster here who attempted to hide behind a trail name until he was discovered.

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Do a whois on the domain name and you might find out who the owner is.
    Papa John

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorkin
    I don't understand everyones need to see a mission statement on a backpacking forum. lol Maybe I'm not the expert online-hiiker that some are, but what's to know?

It's a forum on hiking. What devious ulterior motives could they have? If you like it, simply join the discussion.

Mission statement. What's your mission statement when hiking?
    Well said! I don't know who the administrators of Whiteblaze, Backpacking Lightweight, Club Tread, or Backpacker are and I really don't care. I go to the forums to get and share ideas and that's it. The only site I know the administrator of is Ryan Jordan at BPL and that doesn't really contribute anything to my experience in the forums. I'm sure everyone has their own idea of what they want to get out of a forum. My only interests are if it is active and if the posts are of good quality. But I can understand why some would want to know a little background information about the people running a forum (especially if it's new).

For those who are interested, here is an introduction of the administrator of Practical Backpacking: http://practicalbackpacking.com/foru...=1430#post1430
    BackpackFlyfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjohnd
    Looks like it is strictly backpacking - no politics or other topics not related.
    That's exactly why I like it so much!
    BackpackFlyfishing.com

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jasonklass
    Well said! I don't know who the administrators of Whiteblaze, Backpacking Lightweight, Club Tread, or Backpacker are and I really don't care. I go to the forums to get and share ideas and that's it. The only site I know the administrator of is Ryan Jordan at BPL and that doesn't really contribute anything to my experience in the forums. I'm sure everyone has their own idea of what they want to get out of a forum. My only interests are if it is active and if the posts are of good quality. But I can understand why some would want to know a little background information about the people running a forum (especially if it's new).

For those who are interested, here is an introduction of the administrator of Practical Backpacking: http://practicalbackpacking.com/foru...=1430#post1430
    OK - so maybe mission statement is a bit over the top in vocabulary - but imbedded in the link above we find this:

PBF is here to help myself and others fine-tune their backpacking gear and skills in a friendly, conducive environment. It also affords us a place to share our backpacking experiences and ideas with each other.
    Simple enough for me - someone has started a site to meet his/her needs, and hopefully the needs of others. I'll continue to lurk and maybe even join in. Personally, I like the lack of politics...
    So be it.
    --John

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    Hey get your story straight. I drafter the mission statement for WhiteBlaze. LOL. Not that it really matters who did it. Just want to to step forward.

As everyone else said, a mission statement is not really needed and like Kerosene said WhiteBlaze did not put our mission statement up for a couple of years. We assumed that since it was dealing with the Appalachian Trail that it was self explanatory. I think dealing with backpacking it is also self explanatory.

Woops, I just saw that he has his mission statement up. That tells me that he comes to these forums or he is on these forums or Jackonklass said something to him. LOL
    AT Troll (2010)

Journal Entries
    Images

Think this could be the guy?
    http://www.berniewilt.com/blog/about.php
    AT Troll (2010)

Journal Entries
    Images

Default new forum spot?

i would think if you'd want to ask questions about "practical backpacking"...you'd ask them here!

with that said.......there's always room for information outlets!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

I'll wait and see how it goes - ever since AT Basecamp came and went I have been cautious about investing much effort into a new forum - I use Whiteblaze to keep the dream alive, TT to keep me amused and for the trips, Around the Campfire for my stovie addiction and for the international user base, and TLB rarely for gear questions.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++