WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 100 mile Wilderness, How can I get back?

Hello fellow hikers...I'm planning to hike Maine's 100 mile wilderness in late July or early August, and being that I'll be driving from Indiana, I'm unsure where I can park and how I can make it back to my car. A shuttle would be nice if anyone has heard of such a thing for that area. Otherwise I'm stumped. Any suggestions? I'm hiking South to North. Thanks a lot.

Alex

Default Shaws

The old Shaws used to do shuttles. Maybe the new Shaws will do it also. Why not check in with them?

ah yes, the Shaw's of Monson. I've heard of them, but did not know they did shuttles.....any contact information? Thanks

Default Transportation in Maine

Quote Originally Posted by abales01
    Hello fellow hikers...I'm planning to hike Maine's 100 mile wilderness in late July or early August, and being that I'll be driving from Indiana, I'm unsure where I can park and how I can make it back to my car. A shuttle would be nice if anyone has heard of such a thing for that area. Otherwise I'm stumped. Any suggestions? I'm hiking South to North. Thanks a lot.

Alex
    If the new Shaw's isn't available, Minuteman Taxi out of Millinocket will drive you back to Monson.

Minuteman Taxi -- 207-723-2000

It you want to get a feel for the 100 mile wilderness, check out my album -- http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/at/at.html
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 04-14-2006 at 18:07.
    Shutterbug

NE AT 733 of 733 miles & Long Trail End-to-End Tramper Al's Avatar
    Images

Default Fly

When I hiked to 100 Mile last year, I parked at Abol Bridge (free) for the duration. With one other section hiker, I taxied ($20) via Minuteman down to Katadin Air Service about half way into Millinocket on the Golden Road. From there we flew by float plane down to Monson and began the 100 Mile hike.

We chose this approach because the float plane turned out to be less expensive ($85 each) than we would have guessed, particularly when compared to the other alternative, a shuttle by road. And of course flying from just outside of Baxter all the way down over the trail to Monson was just amazing. It made it feel like a bit more like 'Wilderness' to be flown out 100 miles and dropped at a small pond to hike. A little bit of an indulgence, maybe, but totally worth it.
    - Tramper Al

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tramper Al
    When I hiked to 100 Mile last year, I parked at Abol Bridge (free) for the duration. With one other section hiker, I taxied ($20) via Minuteman down to Katadin Air Service about half way into Millinocket on the Golden Road. From there we flew by float plane down to Monson and began the 100 Mile hike.

We chose this approach because the float plane turned out to be less expensive ($85 each) than we would have guessed, particularly when compared to the other alternative, a shuttle by road. And of course flying from just outside of Baxter all the way down over the trail to Monson was just amazing. It made it feel like a bit more like 'Wilderness' to be flown out 100 miles and dropped at a small pond to hike. A little bit of an indulgence, maybe, but totally worth it.
    Now that sounds awesome! I was thinking of this same trip so maybe I'll try this route for getting there!
    So be it.
    --John

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Wow, that's a great option! I can't wait to get up there to do that section.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Shutterbug.....Great pics, I can't wait to see the real thing! It looks splendid. How much was your stay at the White House Landing and did you camp outside? I'd like to go all the way up Katahdin, instead of ending at abol bridge....The walk up Katahdin looks too good to pass up. Thanks for the advice everyone

Shutterbug.....Great pics, I can't wait to see the real thing! It looks splendid. How much was your stay at the White House Landing and did you camp outside? I'd like to go all the way up Katahdin, instead of ending at abol bridge....The walk up Katahdin looks too good to pass up. Thanks for the advice everyone
    My stay at White House Landing wasn't typical. The remains of a hurricane were passing through Maine. Since I wasn't under any time pressure, I decided to sit the hurricane out at White House Landing. I stayed there for three nights in one of their private rooms. With three nights lodging, all of my meals and a generous tip I spent around $250. For those on a tight budget, one can sleep in the bunk house or pitch a tent. Don't skip their famous hamburger.

One thing you can't tell from the pictures was that I went to the WhiteBlaze Feed at Carratunk a couple of days before I started hiking the 100 Mile Wilderness southbound. So, I met many of the thru hikers at Carratunk, then again as we passed on the trail or at White House Landing.
    Shutterbug

Images

I'd like to go all the way up Katahdin, instead of ending at abol bridge....The walk up Katahdin looks too good to pass up.
    It certainly is! My 100 Mile section hike was followed by a day off and then the climb up Katahdin. You may already know this, but Abol Bridge parking will work for that too. As a 100-Miler, you'd be eligible for 1 night at the Birches, and you can easily loop back to your car on summit day.
    - Tramper Al

We're pretty intermediate hikers, so this section could take us the full 10 days. With Katahdin in mind, it could be 12. That's a lot of food to carry considering I haven't heard of any mail drops in the 100 mile wilderness.

Maybe I could park at Abol Bridge, get shuttled back to Monson, Hike to abol bridge, rest for a day, and hike Katahdin in the morning, looping back to my car.
    The 5 miles from Katahdin Stream Campground to summit seem pretty intense from the map's persepective. Once you reach summit, youve got to hike back down, right? That would be a long 10 miles, plus 9 miles from Abol Bridge to K.S. campground. How do yall do it? haha Thanks a lot
    Also, there is a side trail, Blueberry ledges that knocks off a few miles from abol bridge to the Birches (4.4 vs. 9.8 miles) Maybe I could us this one way, or both. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I haven't heard of any mail drops in the 100 mile wilderness...
    There are no mail drops, but someone posted here a few weeks ago that they would be willing to help with resupply in the 100 mile wilderness. There are several places that resupply is practical if you have someone meet you with your resupply.

Also, Whitehouse Landing keeps a stock of resupply items.
    Shutterbug

That would be great

Images

-----walk-----
    Happy Trails
    THE Mule

is there any way to make Katahdin a day hike after the 100 mile wilderness? My car will be parked at Abol Bridge.

Default Yes, Mt. Katahdin is a day hike.

is there any way to make Katahdin a day hike after the 100 mile wilderness? My car will be parked at Abol Bridge.

Assuming that you want to follow the white blazes up the mountain, get a reservation for the Katahdin Streams Camp Ground. That is the trail head for the Hunt Trail which is the official route of the AT. It took me about six hours to reach the peak. Thru Hikers make it to the top from Katahdin Streams Camp Ground in three to four hours. The trip back down isn't a lot faster. It took me almost five hours, but I was in no hurry. I spent an hour on top, so the entire trip took from 7 a.m. until after 6 p.m.

The hike from Abol Bridge to Katahdin Streams Camp Ground is well worth the hike, but I would save it for another day. There is a good probibility that you will see a moose along the way.

Shutterbug

WBer Boarstone helps with caches in the 100 Mile. See the Southbounder forum or the ATC's Companion Updates page. To day hike Katahdin, drive into the Park and head up from KSC. Only the fittest of hikers in the best weather conditions should attempt a single day round trip from Abol Bridge. You'll have to start before sun-up, and you'll end up night hiking back to AB, it is a long hard haul. Don't stealth camp - you'll be caught and thrown out, and will only cause ill will toward the hikers that will follow you to Baxter Park in the future.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

The 5 miles from Katahdin Stream Campground to summit seem pretty intense from the map's persepective. Once you reach summit, youve got to hike back down, right? That would be a long 10 miles, plus 9 miles from Abol Bridge to K.S. campground. How do yall do it? haha Thanks a lot.
    Hey abales01,
    I think my suggestion on this was missed, so let me try again. Note that I did exactly as you plan and had my car (with more food) parked at Abol Bridge when I walked out of the 100 Mile. From here you have a couple of choices, other that trying to hike the whole way RT from Abol Bridge, which is not necessary.

1. As I suggested above, you as 100 Mile Wilderness sectioneer have qualified yourself for a 1 night stay at the Birches. So, coming out at Abol Bridge in the morning, you can pick-up whatever new stuff you need from your car (food, daypack, dry footwear) and leave there what you don't need. Just up the trail, you will sign up for the Birches (and know if you have a spot). Then you continue up the AT route to the Birches, just near Katahdin Stream campground. In the morning - leave your overnight gear on the ranger's porch at KS - you can climb the AT to summit and return via the Hunt. Now back at the Birches, yes, your easiest walk back to Abol Bridge is via the Blueberry Ledges. Add up those miles, and I think you'll find it quite moderate for someone who has just survoved the 100 Mile.

2. A minor variation on the above plan works best if you can accurately predict your pace in the 100 Mile, and this is what i did. You can make advanced reservations for a lean-to at Katahdin Stream CG, on the AT. You might even want to give yourself more than 1 night there. Again, when you emerge at Abol Bridge, consider that you have 2 day hikes to do. One is the Abol Br-AT-KS-Blueberry-Abol Br loop, the other is the Hunt Trail to and from the summit from KS. Your camping reservation allows you to drive in to the park anytime diuring the day. So, depending on how the timing went, you coiuld mover your car from Abol Bridge to your lean-to at KS either a) before hiking the AT-Blueberry loop, b) after the loop but before summit day, or c) not at all. If you come out at Abol Bridge a day earlier then planned, as I did, you can switch to plan #1, camp cheap at Abol Bridge, or take a day off in Millinocket (you have your car, remember), before climbing the mountain.

Does this all make sense?
    - Tramper Al

I'm a little confused, but let me see if I can make sense of it all...........

1. hike from abol bridge, camping at the birches. In the morning set out for summit (hunt trail) returning on the blueberry ledges, for a total of maybe 15 miles. Correct? Isn't the climb to summit and back down somewhat excruciating?

2. Make a reservation and stay at Katahdin Stream Campground, drive there, and day hike up and down Katahdin? I don't understand the loop hike using the blueberry trail and where that comes in. I figure parking at Baxter and making a day hike would work best

Images

I'm a little confused, but let me see if I can make sense of it all...........

1. hike from abol bridge, camping at the birches. In the morning set out for summit (hunt trail) returning on the blueberry ledges, for a total of maybe 15 miles. Correct? Isn't the climb to summit and back down somewhat excruciating?
    Well, yes, it is certainly a tougher 15 miles than any 15 miles in the 100 Mile Wilderness, though you will have given up that heavy 100 Mile pack, yes? The tough part is the RT from KS to summit, but you can always get an early start and take your time on it. Removing the Blueberry Ledges return from summit day would make for an easier day, but not by a whole lot. An alternative exists, if you can get a ride along the tote road from Katahdin Stream to the Abol Pond picnic area, then all you have left is a level walk of about a mile back to Abol Bridge parking. Be sure you have a map before you try this late in the day.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...nocket%7cme%7c

2. Make a reservation and stay at Katahdin Stream Campground, drive there, and day hike up and down Katahdin? I don't understand the loop hike using the blueberry trail and where that comes in. I figure parking at Baxter and making a day hike would work best
    I really think this is the best alternative, if you can predict your arrival day, and if you don't mind paying a bit more for your Baxter accomodations. Know that these typically need to be booked well (months) in advance. Unless you are in a hurry to get home, when you get to Baxter you will realize that it is a fantastic place to spend a little extra time. Making your base at KS would make for the shortest possible summit day hike. When I mentioned the Blueberry Ledge loop in this context, I was assuming that you would not wish to skip the 7 or so (very nice) AT miles between Abol Bridge and Katahdin Stream CG. Hiking NOBO on AT and returning via Blueberry Ledges is a nice half day outing, depending.
    - Tramper Al

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++