WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Wood's Hole Shelter

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Wood's Hole Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Woods Hole Shelter

Nice and newer of the GA shelters. Single level and sleeps about 6-7 hikers comfortable. Overhang roof on bed of gravel in front of shelter with picnic tables. Shelves on outer frame of shelter.
    Water source is about 3/4 of the way from the trail to the shelter and it "iffy". This is the last shelter northbound before Blood Mountain and there is no water on Blood. So, either get some before you get to Woods Hole or take your chances.
    In 2001 the forest service installed a new bear cable out in front of the shelter because of some bear "incidents". Have personally never seen a bear there but wouldn't take any chances hanging food inside the shelter with that history.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Toot's advice re. water availability at Woodshole is 100% correct.

About halfway up Blood Mountain is Slaughter Gap. I camped there about 2 years ago and there was a good spring there. It's only about 50 yards off of the trail, but I really don't remember that there were blue blazes to it. I just looked in the Data Book and it does show both camping and water at Slaughter Gap. There were a lot of backpackers there, as it is a large area, with many tent sites.

Scorpion

I seem to remember this shelter being about 1/3 mile or so from the trail. The water source was flowing very well-but so was every other source that day. The sign for the shelter was missing, and I know a lot of people almost passed it up. This shelter is well maintained and had nice construction. It is worth staying in over and over again.

-Squirrel

Default Wood's Hole shelter

Was at Wood's Hole shelter today and noticed there was not a shelter register there. I didn't see anything that looked suitable to serve as a container for a register. How are registers placed at shelters? Rock on!

Usually in a big Ziplock bag.

Another nice shelter in GA. This shelter was great ! With high winds on the night we spent there this shelter saved us from freezing to death. 5/3/04. Temp was 30 degrees at 6:30 am. Winds were about 25 to 30 mph. Had no mice problems.

Section Hiker

Default woods hole update

Woods Hole shelter now has bear cables and a privy. With all the rain we've had in GA this year (2004), the spring you pass on the way to the shelter is fully charged. However, this is not the last water before Blood Mtn. The AT has been rerouted and no longer passes through Slaughter Gap (due to severe over use, the gap is now closed to camping). There is a reliable spring right where the new trail section turns right to start the climb up to Blood Mtn. (the old trail section continued on a level route past the spring). About 200 yards above the spring are several new tent pads, just off trail - a nice spot amongst trees, facing Southwest with a view into Blood Mtn cove - usually something of a breeze here. In winter you can easily see Slaughter Mtn. to the N, which is only slightly shorter than Blood Mtn. If you want solitude, camp on the new pads (but not a good spot with strong N winds). If you prefer crowds, go on up to Blood Mtn. - always a crowd on weekends. The old CCC shelter there has a privy in the woods about 100 yds. N of the shelter, down in the woods E of the AT. Be forewarned that the entire Blood Mtn. Wilderness Area is a No Burn Zone, due to numerous forest fires over the years.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Exclamation No!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    About halfway up Blood Mountain is Slaughter Gap. I camped there about 2 years ago and there was a good spring there. It's only about 50 yards off of the trail, but I really don't remember that there were blue blazes to it. I just looked in the Data Book and it does show both camping and water at Slaughter Gap. There were a lot of backpackers there, as it is a large area, with many tent sites.

Scorpion
    Be advised that the AT has been rerouted to avoid Slaughter Gap, making the northbound ascent of Blood shorter (mercifully). Water & tent pads available at/near old intersection of AT & new Slaughter Gap trail on south side of Blood.

Spent last night, 9/14, at Woods Hole. Very nice shleter, great water supply and the privy was exceptional. This is the first shelter I have stayed at in 14 years. Probably will not stay at another hopefully in another 14 years. Even though the shelter is really nice, there were a couple of shelter mice that drove my nuts all night long. Wish I had brough a tent. For those that love shelters this one is great. Espically if it is raining.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Valmet
    Spent last night, 9/14, at Woods Hole. Very nice shleter, great water supply and the privy was exceptional. This is the first shelter I have stayed at in 14 years. Probably will not stay at another hopefully in another 14 years. Even though the shelter is really nice, there were a couple of shelter mice that drove my nuts all night long. Wish I had brough a tent. For those that love shelters this one is great. Espically if it is raining.
    Be aware that the water supply isn't so great in dry years. Did you like the "window" on the privy? There used to be a patch of oregano growing right beside the privy, I've no idea who planted it or if it's still there, it's been awhile since I last looked.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Does anyone know if this shelter is still open? It is not listed in the GA-AT Club's trail description.

Peace,
    Joe

Images

It's open. New privy with no "window" as well.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Toot's advice re. water availability at Woodshole is 100% correct.
    Yeah, this Autumn it was a tiny, tiny trickle. It was also full of baby salamanders!

Here's hoping that it looks better next week...
    Just hike.

Why did I think Woods Hole was Ms Tillys place?

Section Hiker - 900 miles TooTall's Avatar

It is Tilly's place. The shelter was named to honor her place (also cause she might have donated the funds for the shelter?).

Too Tall Paul
    "He who knows others is learned; he who knows himself is wise." - Tao Te Ching

O K Thanks TooTall

Images

Default Her and her husband

Quote Originally Posted by TooTall
    It is Tilly's place. The shelter was named to honor her place (also cause she might have donated the funds for the shelter?).

Too Tall Paul
    Here's a photo of why the shelter is named in their honor.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...ig/cat//sort/1
    Uncle Wayne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++