WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

There were a few companies that made pyramid type tents which were basically 7x7 square with but a single pole up the center..I found you could use your hiking staff in place of this pole thereby carrying only the nylon body of the tent and the fly...Also some of the smaller 1-2 person tents are so light I`d think twice about going to a tarp just to save the .5-1 pound of weight...Just for the record I designed several hammock type tents..hammock/fly designs almost 25 years ago and almost all the major backpacking tent companies laughed at me...I also designed a ground pad/therma-rest pad/bivy tent which was all in one piece they thought was dumb also...My only design that went over was the idea to place 2/3 of the sleeping bag filling on the top of the bag since what was under you got crushed anyway..That way a bag could have the same weight but greater warmth or less weight and equal warmth..I`m not sure who does that now but back when I suggested it no one was doing it that way

Images

Quote Originally Posted by berrym
    How do you handle the bugs in your great state?
    Our trip at the beginning of the month was the first time I'd really used a tarp. We didn't encounter any bugs - just snow and wind. I'll be working on the bug proofing this summer, and I'll probably invest in more durable, lighter (and more expensive) tarps.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    Might be feasible to get two 8x10 or something similar so you have lots more sites. You can always pitch them together when you have a big site.
    so now you've got me thinking... does anyone make a silnylon shelter half? the canvas ones are too heavy, but the concept is great... as i recall, they're only about 4' wide and about 5' long, plus the triangle piece at each end to cover the head and feet. they would therefore be lighter than even a very small tarp... i've spent a few nights in them in the rain, and they didn't leak at the overlapped portion... it was mostly if you touched the canvas... each hiker could use one of their poles for the inside, and carry only 4-5 stakes, plus tieout cord(s).

Check out http://www.trailquest.net/store.html
    I made the ground cloth with foot pocket for tarping trips.
    Pete

Images

Default In the Middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo
    There were a few companies that made pyramid type tents which were basically 7x7 square with but a single pole up the center..I found you could use your hiking staff in place of this pole thereby carrying only the nylon body of the tent and the fly...Also some of the smaller 1-2 person tents are so light I`d think twice about going to a tarp just to save the .5-1 pound of weight...Just for the record I designed several hammock type tents..hammock/fly designs almost 25 years ago and almost all the major backpacking tent companies laughed at me...I also designed a ground pad/therma-rest pad/bivy tent which was all in one piece they thought was dumb also...My only design that went over was the idea to place 2/3 of the sleeping bag filling on the top of the bag since what was under you got crushed anyway..That way a bag could have the same weight but greater warmth or less weight and equal warmth..I`m not sure who does that now but back when I suggested it no one was doing it that way
    Do you find the middle pole or your hiking pole to be in the way...prehaps even knocking it over in the night?
    I was wondering about this with the many of the tarptents and the pyramid designs.

I did make a rather silly looking tent out of my 9 x 9 (used trees no poles) but it worked and I was able to get out of the rain and even cook inside while sitting on a nice Crazy Creek air chair
    I am trying out many different ideas also.

Images
    If I had not been able to periodically renew myself in the mountains...I would be very nearly bughouse. - Wallace Stegner in Wilderness and the Geography of Hope

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hana_Hanger
    Do you find the middle pole or your hiking pole to be in the way...prehaps even knocking it over in the night?
    I was wondering about this with the many of the tarptents and the pyramid designs.
    Usually there was a small circular plastic or aluminum thing in the center of the floor that acted as a pocket to keep the pole from slipping..But it was possible to happen but easy enough to fix

Quote Originally Posted by mnof1000v
    ***Before I begin my post, I'd like to make clear that I'm not in the market for a HH. I'm not a particularly big fan, and this is not a post in search of numerous replies from HH enthusiasts.

I'm currently hiking the AT, and I find that I almost never use my tent. In the 6 weeks I've been out here, I've used it exactly 3 times. I'm looking to switch to some sort of tarp system.

I'd like to make the transition in the MOST INEXPENSIVE, MOST CONVENIENT manner possible. I have never used a tarp before, but I figure since I mostly go shelter to shelter (as I have so far), I'm really looking at a tarp as a "just-in-case" piece of equipment. My tent is just not worth the weight if I'm not using it frequently.

Any suggestions?
    I did a section in GA a few weeks ago - 65 miles over a few days. I took my homemade tarptent and used it twice during the week. Otherwise, I stayed in shelters. For the availability of shelters and the convenience, I say you really can't beat a shelter. But sometimes if the shelters are too full, you gotta have a tarp. At 19 oz. including bug screen, it was a real bonus at night.

Go with the Campmor for a very basic tarp (although I prefer a 10X10 - more versatile). Cheap and functional.

Oware is a company that makes a variety of tarps in different sizes, shapes and material. In tarps 8x10 and larger, putting a hiking pole in the middle works very well, and does not get in the way of two people. Silnylon stretches, the pole takes out sag and deflects run-off further away from the edges. For bug protection, look at tarptents.

http://www.owareusa.com

http://tarptent.com

If you already have a tent with a separate fly, se if the fly can be set up as a stand-alone shelter, eg. Hilleberg Akto.
    Last edited by Rambler; 04-30-2006 at 20:54.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++