WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default WhiteHouse landing

What kind of supplies does the White House Landing carry. Enough food to make it to Katahdin, or just minimal supplies?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i dont remember them carrying much stuff that you could buy, except fresh foods like hamburgers...but the 1-pounder may provide enough to get all the way to katahdin!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

My information is dated since my thru was in 2003 but they had a little table and cabinet back then with some stuff ...and then there was the hiker box. Quite frankly I ended up getting what I needed from the hiker box.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by abales01
    What kind of supplies does the White House Landing carry. Enough food to make it to Katahdin, or just minimal supplies?
    I was there last September. I was impressed with their selection. They had a variety of food, fuel (alcohol, white gas, and cannister), and a few drug store items.

And, like someone else said, they have an active hiker box. They are just the right distance from Abol that southbounders can figure out what they brought and don't need. I dumped enough food in the hiker box to get at least three northbounders to Katahdin.

The primary complaint I heard from northbounders was the prices. Certainly, White House Landing is more expensive than WalMart. Personally, I thought their prices were reasonable considering where they are located.

The second complaint I have heard is that Bill isn't very friendly to hikers who come to White House Landing and don't spend any money. That wasn't my observation. While I was there, a hiker came in who was almost out of money. He got some food out of the hiker box for himself and his dog. I think he may have bought some noodles out of the food pantry, but I don't think he bought anything else. As far as I could see, he was treated nicely.
    Shutterbug

i left the trail in 2003 at whites landing and will be starting there on may 13 this year... bill was ok didnt see him a lot was only two of us there then on about june 20th he was building a new cabin. i have talked to him on picking me up in town and found that he wants me to stay a night there due to the cost of the trip to town.. asked if he will drop me across the lake where the trail starts not at the horn.. he said he might consider it, they used to but he said gas cost more now.. will be nice to just get to the trail and get started again georgia or bust

Images

Default Another Store

Don't forget that you can buy more food at the store at Abol Bridge when you come out of the wilderness. Be Safe

Default Plenty

There was plenty there at the end of August in 2005 to get you to katahdyn. No problems for us... We also really enjoyed our stay and Bill was quite nice to us.

Gravity and Danger

Just to be clear, since this is under "mail drops" - there are no mail drops at WHL any more. Bill sells some supplies, and of course fresh food, enough to get you N to Linda's Store at Abol Bridge where you'll find plenty of eats. If a food drop is in your plans, contact WB member Boarstone who can arrange a cache for you in the 100 Mile.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Default White House Scam

After 3 thru hikes I finally stopped at the Landing for the first time, against the advice of several buddies with previous thru-hikes. (August 2007)
    Woodstock and I were doing Rangley to the K and stopped for a burger.
    After a budwieser, a burger, and hiker food for one day (to get to Abol early morning) my tab came to 39 bucks.
    I was equally unimpressed with Bill who barked at his family while he cooked ur lunch. After being asked about the history of the Landing, Bill unabashedly explained that his camp, originally designed to cater to fisherman and snowmobilers was a bust and that he turned to the hikers in order to make ends meet.
    "Without the hikers we wouldn't be here." ,he told me.
    In a single day he cut an illegal trail across private paper company land and posted signs illegally on the AT. Then he blazed the trail blue and asked questions later.
    It is obvious that Bill is not simpathetic to the plight of the hiker. He is interested in the bottom line and nothing else.
    I understand that there is a fine line between business and charity, but the girls at Shaws in Monson have figured out how to create both.
    My experiences at each place could not be more opposite.
    On another level, the concept of being shuttled accross the lake on the boat leaves the hiker stranded from the trail and at the mercy of Bill.
    It was extremely uncomfortable and myself and 6 other hikers basically sat in silence until our food was ready. Then we devoured it and left the lodge quickly.
    Never again.
    Traildog

Last year there was a sign on the hiker box saying that it was for overnight guests only.

The whole family was very nice to us and the food was great. We did not stay overnight but went inside the cabin and it was quite clean.

They did go a little wild with the blue paint, I figured maybe the kid did it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thompsoniac View Post
    After 3 thru hikes I finally stopped at the Landing for the first time, against the advice of several buddies with previous thru-hikes. (August 2007)
    Woodstock and I were doing Rangley to the K and stopped for a burger.
    After a budwieser, a burger, and hiker food for one day (to get to Abol early morning) my tab came to 39 bucks.
    I was equally unimpressed with Bill who barked at his family while he cooked ur lunch. After being asked about the history of the Landing, Bill unabashedly explained that his camp, originally designed to cater to fisherman and snowmobilers was a bust and that he turned to the hikers in order to make ends meet.
    "Without the hikers we wouldn't be here." ,he told me.
    In a single day he cut an illegal trail across private paper company land and posted signs illegally on the AT. Then he blazed the trail blue and asked questions later.
    It is obvious that Bill is not simpathetic to the plight of the hiker. He is interested in the bottom line and nothing else.
    I understand that there is a fine line between business and charity, but the girls at Shaws in Monson have figured out how to create both.
    My experiences at each place could not be more opposite.
    On another level, the concept of being shuttled accross the lake on the boat leaves the hiker stranded from the trail and at the mercy of Bill.
    It was extremely uncomfortable and myself and 6 other hikers basically sat in silence until our food was ready. Then we devoured it and left the lodge quickly.
    Never again.
    Traildog
    Your first post is to get on here and bash Bill and his family? Get a real man. I mean where do you think your at out there in the wilderness? You forgot to mention the cost it takes to get supplies into Whites Landing. Sometimes it is even flown in.

Whites Landing was one of the best experiences of the whole trail for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here on Whiteblaze who feels this way.

If you hike the wilderness again Whites Landing will be better off without you stopping by, they have been ther for a few years and they probably will do just fine without your stopping by for a few more years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post
    Your first post is to get on here and bash Bill and his family? Get a real man. I mean where do you think your at out there in the wilderness? You forgot to mention the cost it takes to get supplies into Whites Landing. Sometimes it is even flown in.

Whites Landing was one of the best experiences of the whole trail for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here on Whiteblaze who feels this way.

If you hike the wilderness again Whites Landing will be better off without you stopping by, they have been ther for a few years and they probably will do just fine without your stopping by for a few more years.
    Andy gave his honest opinion. He has that right. There are certain hostels/motels/inns that I think totally suck but the majority of hikers think they are glorious. I don't want my azz kissed like most hikers do. I understand where Andy is coming from

Journal Entries
    Images

What's with the capital letters? Get a working keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    What's with the capital letters? Get a working keyboard?
    you're an observant bastard. just feeling unlazy

Images

I just finished a hike through the wilderness and did stop at the White House. Bill was friendly, food was great and did tell me too that the hikers have saved his business sence the snowmobiling had dropped off due to the lack of snow. Which makes me wonder why when two more hikers came in about 6pm he refused to make dinner for them, they ate snacks. You would think if the hikers have saved his business he would add a little more service to his service.
    WalkingStick"75"

Journal Entries
    Images

It is a known fact that Bill illegally created the trail and painted the blue blazes on the trail to get hikers to come to his place to bring in business. This has been an issue that the MATC has confronted him with and he continues to ignore them and keeps the blue blazes on the illegal trail.

It is quite obvious that Bill has not care for anyone else's property. How would you feel if your neighbor hacked a trail a half mile long through your property and put blue blazes on the trail without asking you?
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Andy gave his honest opinion. He has that right. There are certain hostels/motels/inns that I think totally suck but the majority of hikers think they are glorious. I don't want my azz kissed like most hikers do. I understand where Andy is coming from
    Okay then, I agree. But what disappointed me is that his very first post was to come on here slamming Whites Landing. Crap fire!

Everyone has a right to their opinion but when I give my opinion I better get ready to recieve back. And those who know me may respect my opinion enough to let it be, but if I just walk into a new crowd of folk and shoot my trap off I am liable to rile some feathers...........

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    It is a known fact that Bill illegally created the trail and painted the blue blazes on the trail to get hikers to come to his place to bring in business. This has been an issue that the MATC has confronted him with and he continues to ignore them and keeps the blue blazes on the illegal trail.

It is quite obvious that Bill has not care for anyone else's property. How would you feel if your neighbor hacked a trail a half mile long through your property and put blue blazes on the trail without asking you?
    Okay, I didn't know that. But who's land is that out there anyway? The MATC's, the State of Maine's, or perhaps a wood company? Maybe someone told Bill it was okay and that is why Bill has not listened to you guys?

Default re: white house landing

I thru hiked north bound last year (2006). As it was a wet day and I wanted to dry out a bit.. I went to White House Landing and spent the night.

Thompsoniac hit the nail on the head!! They really are only interested in making money... nothing more nothing less.

There is a 0.9 or so mile walk down a blue blaze trail to lake shore where you get picked up by boat. The boat ride is free but nothing else is.

Hikers are bound to be lured in by the 1 POUND hamburgers they sell..you will have heard about this for miles previously! Everything they sell is at premium price. Yes they have to go a long way for supplies. My main gripe with them is that they did not give the feeling they enjoyed what they do there. They did not seem to want to cater to hikers. At most hostels anywhere on the AT you need to partake some enjoyment out of catering to hikers. There just is not sufficient financial reward in porportion to the work involved. It may be different down in Tenesee where there are more hkers still on the trail, but surely not in Maine. If hkers are their main revenue source I don't see how they will remain in buisness long. There are only a few hundred a year going through there.

One thing regardling supplies.. you only need to be supplied to Abol bridge where there is a small store where you can get more. So two days hiking is all you have to supply for. Even so.. prices are high. And you pay extra if you pay by credit card.

Now despite what ever negative feelings I may have.. where I hiking up there again.. and it was raining..it would be hard not to go. But I will simply say this. If by the time you are at White House Landing.. you are low on funds.. walk right on past!

David

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post
    Okay then, I agree. But what disappointed me is that his very first post was to come on here slamming Whites Landing. Crap fire!

Everyone has a right to their opinion but when I give my opinion I better get ready to recieve back. And those who know me may respect my opinion enough to let it be, but if I just walk into a new crowd of folk and shoot my trap off I am liable to rile some feathers...........

Seems to me it's you shooting your trap off. He just reported what he experienced, no reason to believe he is making it up.

And what difference does it make if it's his first post or ten thousandth post?
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++