WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

terrapin_too nailed it on the head... Great post tt and THANKS to everyone for sharing your experiences!!!

bigben, You can carry as much as you want to, it is no sweat off my back. I’m sure plenty of hikers have carried 50# or more all the way to (or from) ME (reread my final thought on post #1). I’m just posting ‘observations’ and trying to encourage prospective ‘thru-hikers’ to thoroughly research gear options prior to making that ‘final’ decision. And, then, to seriously rethink some of the items they intend to carry (reread items 5-10 on post #1) prior to hitting the trail for a long distance trek.

If someone hasn’t done any gear research prior to starting a ‘thru-hike’ in GA, and simply intends to start off with what they have used on other backpacking trips, they will likely be surprised on Day ONE. Gear envy might start at the shelter that night (if not sooner). By the time they make it to Neels Gap, they will have plenty of ideas of how to lighten their own load. Some hikers wont do anything except resupply and continue hiking. Some hikers will only need to mail something home, but many others will purchase new gear. There is nothing wrong with that, but wouldn’t you rather be prepared ahead of time and not worry about unintended purchases on Day FOUR.

As I’ve posted, take a trip to Mountain Crossings during ‘thru-hiker’ season. It will be an eye-opener. Per their webpage, they mail home over 3000# of stuff per year. ATC’s webpage states that just over 1000 hikers made it to Neels Gap last year. That is 3# per person. That is alot of stuff. Draw your own conclusions.

Again, you and everyone else can (and does) carry what they want to. But, remember, just because you physically can, that doesn’t mean that you should. I just hope that someone might benefit from others experiences and lighten their load in some way...

See you on the trail (& at Trail Days),
    mt squid

My pack is a Gregory Shasta in large.

Don't get me wrong, I don't and won't carry 50 lbs just because I can. And I have made some good gear choices: Golite Doze bag(3#3oz and I actually fit in it), SD Clip Flashlight tent(1 man tents just don't do it for me and I don't like bug bites or tarp camping if I can help it which I can), Snowpeak Giga stove and Ti 1L pot, etc. I actually buy lightweight stuff and both use and love it. But 5 days of food for me is a GOOD 12 lbs and I carry a minimum of 2 liters, usually 3 liters as I start each day, of water. Right there is 18-20 lbs. Why? I'm big(6'3" 285lbs) so I eat a lot and I sweat like a prostitute in church, so I drink a lot. I carry a larger than normal 1st aid kit(cause I'm a paramedic and can use all that stuff if I came across a hiker in peril - you'd thank me for carrying it if you were hurt), I filter my water and I won't budge on the MSR Miniworks, and I won't carry less of a sleeping pad than my Prolite 4 large. I don't overdo it on clothes, I carry Crocs, Frog Togg jacket. My clothes ARE all 2X or 3 X so they do weigh more.

I section hike and train with 50 lbs. If I was or could thru-hike, I'd think harder about lightening the load. But big miles aren't what I do right now. My AT hikes are VACATION, so I shoot for 10 mile days in 1-2 week shots. That's plenty for me right now.

Bigben

This whole thread can be summarized in 2 bullet points.

1. A lighter pack is easier to carry than a heavier pack. Duh.

2. Anyone who says that you can't do a thru carrying a 50 pound pack is just flat out wrong. Waay wrong.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    This whole thread can be summarized in 2 bullet points.

1. A lighter pack is easier to carry than a heavier pack. Duh.

2. Anyone who says that you can't do a thru carrying a 50 pound pack is just flat out wrong. Waay wrong.
    That is about it.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

Some stats from this year (3/29/08 – 4/7/08):

226 with the intent of going all the way to Katahdin
    95 going to somewhere in between
    149 started from fs42
    40 WhiteBlazers (I’m sure I missed a few)
    36 thrus and 10 sectioners started on April Fools Day
    1 bear torn-up backpack at Three Forks (if you plan to camp there, be aware…)
    3 flat tires (one was mine – DOH!!!)
    2 days of sunshine (hikers still managed to get sun burned)
    8 days of fog, wind and rain (could barely see the other side of the parking lot at times)

As of 4/6/08 (and since 2/29/08), Many Sleeps had counted 594 going all the way (I’m not sure if 3/1/08 was the busiest day, but he said he counted 51). As of 4/3/08, 548 had signed in at Amicalola Falls SP. As of 4/7/08, Neels Gap was over 500+ (I don’t remember exact #).

Although, the weather was rather lousy, still had a great time. At least there weren’t many bugs (actually the days of sunshine brought the gnats out with a vengeance). Hopefully everyone is still doing well out there. See you when you make it up here to TN or at Trail Days or Hard Core or somewhere further North…

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    As of 4/3/08, 548 had signed in at Amicalola Falls SP.
    When I did the Approach Trail a couple weeks ago I was told to sign in "since I was leaving the park and not coming back". My wife was picking me up at FS42.

Feel free to download my one-page 'book' on this subject at my website below.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Default thanks mtn squid!

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Some stats from this year (3/29/08 – 4/7/08):

95 going to somewhere in between
    149 started from fs42
    40 WhiteBlazers (I’m sure I missed a few)
    2 days of sunshine (hikers still managed to get sun burned)

mt squid
    Hi Mtn. Squid -

1) I ("Paul-from-Scotand") was one of your "going somewhere in between" whom you gave a ride to FS42 on April 2 of this year. Thank you! It's really generous of you to run people up to the trail... it is very much appreciated!

2) I second the recommendation of Josh and Leigh's Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega. Really friendly people - and a wonderful hostel.

3) I agree with your advice concerning pack weight, etc. My pack was heavy (~ 6 lbs empty), although my weight, fully loaded at Neel's gap, was 38 lbs. I'm not able to spend unlimited money on gear, but have ordered a new pack. There were many people out there with heavier loads. Most were bigger guys than me - I'm around 6 foot and weigh around 150. Even with this, my knees were pretty tender on some of those long Georgia mtn descents.

4) I wore relatively sturdy trail runners. I will definitely do this again. 1 lb of the feet is like 5 lbs off the back. I didn't even carry alternative footwear.

5) I met an experienced thru-hiker by the name of "Reststop". He was strong, and his pack didn't look too large. We chatted for a bit. He made an excellent point: thru-hiking isn't the same as backpacking. Although I was only out to do the GA section of the trail, I was on the same pace as a number of thru-hikers. Basically, we were walking 8-10 hours a day. Camping was great, but for most of your active waking hours, you are walking. The great affair is to move... and a light load makes every day easier.

6) At Neel's Gap I bought a waterproof bag for my sleeping bag, and a waterproof bag for hanging my food. Garbage bags didn't cut it in either situation.

Journal Entries
    Images

Some stats from this year (3/28/09 - 4/5/09):

206 heading to Katahdin
    117 going to some place in between
    108 started from fs42
    18 WhiteBlazers
    49 thrus and 21 sectioners started on Sunday, 3/29 (very cold and windy)
    39 thrus and 2 sectioners started on April Fools Day
    alot of Matts and Steves out there needing trailnames

The weather was a little better than last yr, but not by much. Per Many Sleeps, it was 7F on 3/3/09 - that is cold - brrrrrrr. Bear problems reported around Neels Gap. No flat tires this yr (I was prepared with an air compressor, just in case).

Many Sleeps was about 30 over last years #s on 3/28/09. I didn't get an update before leaving, but I am sure he was over 600.

Hope everyone is doing well. It is supposed to be cold and snowy tonight and tomorrow.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Yup, good observations mountain squid... I second every one...
    You can not stop the stink...

Don't know about 4 days to reach Neels Gap, it's only 30 miles, many people reach Neels Gap on day 2.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Don't know about 4 days to reach Neels Gap, it's only 30 miles, many people reach Neels Gap on day 2.
    Many do. Most don't.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Some make it a day hike
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Some make it a day hike
    Then they won't be hanging food at night, will they?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Then they won't be hanging food at night, will they?
    Oops. Wrong thread. Disregard.

But, yeah, some pull marathon mileage righ out of the box. Most don't.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post

Not at the bottom of the approach they don't...

And I don't know many hikers booking it at 15 miles a day starting out.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Great observations Squid, very nice

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Squeaky made it as a day hike in December 2005. Sorry, just wanted to bring Squeaky back up again.

Journal Entries
    Images

Some stats from this year (3/27/10 - 4/5/10):

230 currently on their way to ME
    168 to places in between
    160 started from fs42
    31 WhiteBlazers
    35 thrus and 15 sectioners started on April Fools Day

Except for the first couple of days the weather was great. Saw lots of burnt hikers. Someone here influenced a hiker not to bring sunscreen because it is 'a long green tunnel'. Unfortunately, it is not a long green tunnel until the leaves appear and said hiker was burnt. DOH! I've said it before - Don't forget some sunscreen. .

Forest Service Road 42 is passable, just drive slowly. There are a few times where you might bottom out, but plenty of cars have made the drive.

It might not be a good idea to bring a bird on a long distance hike. You never know, someone else might be bringing a cat (I did not see a cat nor hear of a terrible demise to the bird . . . I'm just saying . . . ) Someone else was carrying a dog though. . .

No flats this year but one drained battery . . . thought I was gonna have to start hiking . . .

Hope everyone is having a great time. Don't let the nice weather fool you. Keep that cold weather gear until into VA.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Looking forward to this years numbers...
    Thanks Mt. Squid

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++