WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

This is a great thread,I started on Febuarary 14 on all three of my Thru-Hikes, ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 ), my pack on all three weighed 30lbs and it took me three days from AFSP and yes it's cold at first but i would rather beat the Crowds the heat of mid summer and the bugs, I think a mail drop at Neel's Gap would be better than buying your food their. When i do it again i think i would start at the same time.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Some stats from this year (3/30/13 - 4/8/13):

58 hikers started on April Fools Day not including 34 section hikers
    I imagine 92 hikers would overcrowd a shelter or two. Good lord.
    Apparently they never heard to start mid-week.

Great data. Thanks.
    How do you get this , do you live in FS42 parking lot?

Perhaps the "real" unemployment rate , which is due to the large # of people that gave up looking, is partly responsible for this.

One way to look at it:
    Assuming half started from Amicalola, and half from FS42
    Also assuming the average distance covered was 10 miles, and everyone started between 7-1pm or so, they would be spread out over a potential 15 mile stretch or so.

Thats a hiker every 150 yds, for 15 miles.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-09-2013 at 22:06.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    One way to look at it:
    Assuming half started from Amicalola, and half from FS42
    Also assuming the average distance covered was 10 miles, and everyone started between 7-1pm or so, they would be spread out over a potential 15 mile stretch or so.

Thats a hiker every 150 yds, for 15 miles.
    Paraphrasing... "The Rocky mountains are calling and I must go."

280px-Mount_Robson_08122005.jpg

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Would you run a marathon without training?

Of course not.

Why would anyone consider embarking on a thru hike of the AT without training?

I've seen it too, a newby dragging 75 lbs up the approach trail.

Get out & hike before you start your thru. Give yourself a fighting chance to finish. You need experience, fitness, and mental preparation to keep your ass alive and on the trail.

My 2 cents
    Do people seriously thru hike the AT as their first backpacking experience? I'm a novice backpacker (experienced car camper), and can't fathom that.

Yes every year their are people that thru-hike the AT with no experience what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Do people seriously thru hike the AT as their first backpacking experience? I'm a novice backpacker (experienced car camper), and can't fathom that.
    I've seen this one kid from LA often over the past week that had never heard of the AT, nor backpacked, until 6 weeks before his start. Still going strong at Erwin.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Yup. My year it was 20 something female who maybe weighed 110 pounds soaking weight. Showed up at Springer with a 50 pound pack; made some adjustments at Neels Gap, and off she went. Cute girl; didn't suffer from lack of attention lol.

Images

Do people seriously thru hike the AT as their first backpacking experience?
    Yes, there are always some who do this. It's not a marathon, it's just walking interspersed with camping. Humans have been doing that since the dawn of human history.

Not sure there is any significant difference in the completion rates for raw noobs versus hikers with some backpacking experience.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Do people seriously thru hike the AT as their first backpacking experience?
    Yep.
    And for many of them , even successful ones, its also their last and only.
    Go figure

MS sorry I missed you this year. Observations over the last four years confirm your facts and opinions. I would emphasize that pack weight is the single most factor to determine if you make it out of Georgia. Of course it is different for each individual and their is no standard. As far as numbers go,a trend to earlier starts is happening every year( 3-1 through 3-7 has been a hugh week until this year,because of teen temps). Also there are more waves on leaving created by the festivals and special dates (ie-soltice and 3-1). Thanks for your yearly support at the start .

Journal Entries
    Images

Hi Razor. Hope you are not having to haul out too much abandoned stuff, but you probably are . . . (I did convince someone not to carry a camp chair at the trailhead, so at least you didn't have to haul that out . . . )

Razor is one of two GA Ridgerunners, Nachita is the other. Unfortunately many hikers that start off with heavy packs, decide that they don't want to carry something. That something might be left in a shelter or tossed to the side of the trail. Someone has to haul that stuff off the trail and Razor and Nachita usually do that. Not to forget the trash also . . . for some reason some hikers don't want to carry their own trash either . . . Thanks for all the hard work, Razor and Nachita!

Pack it in, Pack it out everyone!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos

Journal Entries
    Images

Some stats from this year (3/29/14-4/6/14):

430 hikers currently on their way to ME with 198 starting from FS42
    275 hikers heading to places in between with 101 starting from FS42
    65 hikers started on Tuesday, April Fools Day (the most I had counted on any one day . . . . until Thursday . . . when I counted 71 hikers!!)
    18 WhiteBlazers
    18 four-legged companions

5 yellow taxis
    5 returners
    4 hand axes incl 2 that started together (I guess they don't share hatchets)
    2 lost wallets and 1 lost phone
    2 families
    2 blind hikers (one on the BMT who did the AT in 2008)
    1 75 pound pack, but was able to get into town and return with a 45# pack
    1 5 pound pack*
    1 seabag/duffel bag (no waist belt)
    1 camp chair
    1 hiker who has hiked from Key West
    1 hiker who forgot a tent . . . but is having it sent to Neel Gap
    1 bear sighting for the season, so far

Quite a few Germans, as well as hikers from Canada, Nova Scotia, England, China, Russia, Korea and Switzerland (also saw some locals from TN - 2 from Johnson City and 1 from Kingsport!).

It was 27f on Sunday morning (3/30) and all the trees were ice covered, as well as numerous tents I am sure. The rest of the week, the weather was pretty good, so there were numerous burned hikers . . . all it takes is one full day in the sun . . . OUCH!! Don't forget the sunscreen!

The 'preferred' route to FS42 parking area was in worse condition than recent years. There were quite a few potholes to maneuver around. I did see 2 Prius', a Yaris and a Mini-Cooper though, so it is manageable. Just drive slowly!

Amicalola Falls State Park had 1029 signed in as of 4/6.

Hope everyone is still having Fun!! Good Luck!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

* She was 7 and carrying probably the cutest little cuben fiber pack you'll ever see!

Kudos to the one person who hiked from Key West for he truly did the Approach Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Joe View Post
    Kudos to the one person who hiked from Key West for he truly did the Approach Trail.
    I think I might have met this guy while he was still on the Florida Trail in February. A hiker with that plan was hiking with Acorn when I brought her some pizzas.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Ah the Seabag duffle, the ultimate newbie gear.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Ah the Seabag duffle, the ultimate newbie gear.
    I had a hard time walking through an airport with my fully loaded seabag back in the stone age. Can't imagine carrying one of them for miles, especially if it starts raining and it gets wet.

Journal Entries
    Images

I also saw several Alice Packs . . . . but the seabag definitely has to be just about the worst for carrying anything for any length of time. I reckon, if your shoulders get too sore, you can at least use the handle and carry it that way . . .

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

norovirus awareness

I had never backpacked before deciding to thru hike. But I had spent plenty of times outdoors hunting, fishing, camping, etc. so I was comfortable being outside. I would say after 2 weeks the routine is pretty well figured out and I made some tweaks to my gear along the way which is easy enough (but a bit pricey) because you pass by an outfitter every few days it seems, especially if hiking NOBO. It wasn't a big deal (however, adapting physically to the trail was challenging).

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    When I did the Approach Trail a couple weeks ago I was told to sign in "since I was leaving the park and not coming back". My wife was picking me up at FS42.
    I also signed in on my section hike to Neel Gap last year. Four days of rain!!!! I also had to write in my destination.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    * She was 7 and carrying probably the cutest little cuben fiber pack you'll ever see!
    hmmm I wonder who has the 5# pack? (see the picture)

They seem to be having fun! (mostly)

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++