WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    ...A Walk in the Woods part 2? Are you kidding?
    Reconsider the date ..... and think about it ...

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    177 hikers on april 1

Remember when no one could believe 50

Georgia permits coming
    Yeah, that might be. I don't think too many (if any) of the section hikers pre-registered online and the thru hiker total surpassed the 60 hiker threshold per day (30 on Approach Trail and 30 from FS42). It is also possible that pre-registered thru hikers changed their start date without updating online. Not sure what can be done.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    What the difference between the 353 hikers going somewhere between GA and ME and the 105 section hikers? Oh, I think I just answered my own question, 105 of those 353 started on the 1st.
    You did answer your own question!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    In 2 weeks I'll be down there too. It will be interesting to be following behind 1600 (rounding up a little) people. I wonder how trashed the trail, shelters and privies will be?
    If you're considering 1600 thru hikers, I would say it would be more like 2500-3000. It is almost 50/50 between starting points. So if Amicalola has 1600 starters, almost double that to include starters at FS42. (Some FS42 starters do sign in at Amicalola though.) The Springer Mountain Shelter privy was already pretty nasty ... hopefully it'll be cleaner by then.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. I'm starting NOBO in 1 week and trying to remain positive, but the sheer numbers are overwhelming.
    I suspect it should start to slow down, but clearly there are alot of hikers ahead of you. I know that the ATC Ridgerunners (and probably the GATC Ambassadors, as well) have been hauling out trash and abandoned gear.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    One bad thing that won't apply to those starting now: we kept running into huge (10-20 kids) high school and college groups on spring break doing week-long sections, this added greatly to the crowded mess.
    I did see several Boy Scout groups.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

I saw a post on Facebook a couple of weeks ago about contamination somewhere around Gooch gap. Another post followed up saying it was a hoax. Notes were being signed by a "ridge runner" but the ridge runner for that section said it wasn't them.
    That is what I heard ... and there was no confirmation.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    After reading the most recent of Mountain Squid's hiker updates, I thought I'd go back and look at the first set of numbers reported in 2006. It's a start contrast.
    Very interesting...I hadn't even compared the numbers. Quite the contrast indeed! Thanks for the comparison.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    I suspect it should start to slow down, but clearly there are alot of hikers ahead of you. I know that the ATC Ridgerunners (and probably the GATC Ambassadors, as well) have been hauling out trash and abandoned gear.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid
    Let them know we all appreciate their efforts. And yours.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I started 4/2. It was great to meet Mountain Squid finally. Really great guy!

To clear up the Norovirus issue-I'm currently off trail due to contracting it. Everyone but one in the group of six I'm with is doubled over the toilet right now. I know of an additional 4 people who are in Neel Gap with the same. We all think is was from the trail magic at Woody Gap on Tuesday as that is the only common denominator. Some are saying it was the water buffalo at Cooper Gap but nobody from my group got water from there. I think it's really easy to place blame on water, but I truly believe it was the mass gathering of hikers with dirty hands digging into food and signing their register (interestingly the one person who is not sick did not sign the register).

I have heard what having Norovirus feels like but hopefully you'll never have to experience it. At 3am all I wanted to do was die. It is the worst. It sucks this happened so early into my hike but I'm still pumped to get to Maine. On the plus side, the weather hasn't been ideal so by the time I'm back hiking, it'll be sunny.
    It was great to meet you too!

Sorry you got sick. Being sick on the trail is not fun ... get well soon!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Let them know we all appreciate their efforts. And yours.
    They definitely work hard! Thanks!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    The 105 sections hikers listed starting on 4/1 really does surprise me.
    This number is low. About 75% of those heading to ME are section hikers, they just don't know it yet.
    More walking, less talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Some stats from this year:

441 hikers currently on their way to ME with 148 starting from FS42 (34% - I think the lower % might be because ATC has been encouraging to start from the Approach Trail.)
    401 hikers currently on their way to places between GA and ME with 198 starting from FS42 (49%)
    90 sectioners began 3/31
    63 thrus began 3/25
    25 international hikers (8 Germans, 4 Australians, 3 Swiss, 2 New Zealanders, 2 Swedes, 2 Canadians, and 1 from Bulgaria, Denmark, Norway and England)
    14 hikers got off trail for various reasons (7 on 3/26, Mon - a very cold, windy day)
    2 SOBO Flippers completed their long distance journey
    2 planning to hike CDT after completion
    2 hiked from Key West
    1 barefoot hiker
    1 cart

I have finally seen another hiker with a cart. This hiker made it further than the first one I saw, but I believe he finally got rid of it. It only took him 5 days to do the Approach Trail ...

April 1st was not as busy as I thought it would be, given that it was on a weekend (it was also Easter Sunday so maybe that had something to do with only 55 thrus and 44 sectioners).

I did see lots of orange hang tags from ATC. They were giving them out at the Approach Trail after the hikers registered. ATC was also giving information classes for those beginning their long distance journey. On 3/23 at 1500, 1443 hikers had registered and on 4/2 at 1500, 1823 hikers had registered at Amicalola Falls State Park.

In the past, the Hiker Hostel would drop off 10-15 hikers everyday between 0900-1000. As you may know, they sold it last year and now it is Barefoot Hills resort. I saw them drop off only 6 hikers. I don't think NOBO long distance hikers are their clientele ...

It was another good year with typical weather. Cold, windy, foggy .... the sun made a few brief appearances.Hope everyone's hike is going well ... Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

twitter
    Last edited by mountain squid; 04-04-2018 at 10:38.

squid...thanks for your annual reports. I always look forward to your post because it's one of two things (along with the Masters golf tournament) that (imo) signifies the 'official" start of spring. I had the pleasure of meeting you up there on the mountain when i started my hike a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Hi Razor. Hope you are not having to haul out too much abandoned stuff, but you probably are . . . (I did convince someone not to carry a camp chair at the trailhead, so at least you didn't have to haul that out . . . )

Razor is one of two GA Ridgerunners, Nachita is the other. Unfortunately many hikers that start off with heavy packs, decide that they don't want to carry something. That something might be left in a shelter or tossed to the side of the trail. Someone has to haul that stuff off the trail and Razor and Nachita usually do that. Not to forget the trash also . . . for some reason some hikers don't want to carry their own trash either . . . Thanks for all the hard work, Razor and Nachita!

Pack it in, Pack it out everyone!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos
    Ive been amazed at the things I’ve seen. Steel car cup (with ice still in it), yoga Matt’s, etc.

Not to mention the stories I’ve heard.

Or the mail drops of mail more than more than a year old sitting on a shelf at a hotel with the hiker box.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    Ive been amazed at the things I’ve seen. Steel car cup (with ice still in it), yoga Matt’s, etc.

Not to mention the stories I’ve heard.

Or the mail drops of mail more than more than a year old sitting on a shelf at a hotel with the hiker box.
    Coolers are very common. Soft sided, and occassionally hard sided small ones. Pillows, Frying pans, lanterns, folding shovels, camp chairs, flashlights, radios, books, heavy water bottles. It doesn't take many miles at all before some people realize "I've made a huge mistake".
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-06-2018 at 17:19.

Interesting that over 1800 have registered by 4/2. I was #1775 on 4/13 last year.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    squid...thanks for your annual reports. I always look forward to your post because it's one of two things (along with the Masters golf tournament) that (imo) signifies the 'official" start of spring. I had the pleasure of meeting you up there on the mountain when i started my hike a few years ago.
    You're Welcome, 4shot. I always enjoy going down there.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

Interesting that over 1800 have registered by 4/2. I was #1775 on 4/13 last year.
    They've been encouraging hikers to hike the approach trail. As mentioned, I saw a lower percentage start via FS42 than in years past. Plus February had pretty good weather.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

Another good time down at Springer Mountain this year. Some stats:

354 hikers currently on their way to ME (104 started from FS42)
    316 hikers hiking to destinations between GA and ME (152 started from FS42) - quite a few headed to GA/NC border
    51 thrus and 62 sectioners started on 3/31
    39 international hikers including 10 from Canada, 9 from Germany, 8 from England, 3 from South Africa, 2 from Taiwan and Australian and 1 from New Zealand, Scotland, Ireland, Luxembourg and Slovenia.

April Fools Day was not very busy this year. 42 thrus and 36 sectioners. 62 thru-hikers were online registered with ATC. Many of them must have either changed their start date or did not start at all.It was probably 20 degrees on Springer on April Fools morning. I am sure there were many very cold hikers that night.

By the end of the week temps were in the 70s. Nevertheless, NEVER get rid of your cold weather gear until at least past Mount Rogers in VA. Don't even think about it!

The color of choice for the ATC Registration Tag this year was Red. I saw many of them attached to backpacks. Hikers receive them from the Amicalola Falls SP Visitor Center after registering their hike. I think primarily it is for thru-hikers but I did see some section hikers with them. Ridgerunner Nick has been giving a talk to hikers which includes a demonstration of the PCT bear hang method.

Given the Bear Canister Required zone between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap there are some hikers that do carry a bear canister. If you camp in this zone, you are required to have one. It is 5 miles, so most hikers will not camp in this area and therefore do not carry a canister. USFS Rangers do patrol here so don't get caught camping without a canister. I think it is an $80 fine ... and you will probably have to pack up and hike out in the middle of the night.

On 3/29 at 1700, 1631 hikers had registered at AFSP and on 4/7, at 1421, 1991 hikers had registered.Fewer thru-hikers are starting via the FS42 parking area (29%).

As I mentioned last year, ATC is encouraging hikers to hike the Approach Trail. I also wonder, though, how much the Hiker Hostel not operating anymore influences this. The FS42 percentage would be higher if the Hiker Hostel was still dropping off 10-15 hikers/day at FS42. (Assuming 10 extra hikers/day would boost the percentage to 54%.) Although some of the ones I did see had their Red Tags, indicating that they stopped by the Visitor Center first.

Hope everyone's hike is going well. Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid
    how to hike
    Last edited by mountain squid; 04-14-2019 at 11:02. Reason: no paragraphs

Journal Entries
    Images

Looks like I missed a couple of years. 2020 was COVID, of course. But I do have some stats from 2021 and this year.

3/26/21 - 4/4/21

436 hikers claiming to hike to Maine (129 started from FS42) 30%
    273 hikers hiking to destinations b/n GA and ME (139 started from FS42) 51%

ATC did not issue hang tags but some online entrepreneur did. Since hang tags were not available upon registration at Amicalola Falls State Park, I think many hikers did not register.

3/25/22 - 4/3/22

476 hikers currently on their way to Maine (132 started from FS42) 28%
    255 hikers hiking to destinations b/n GA and ME (116 started from FS42) 45%

over 50 'thru-hikers' average/day
    many international hikers were hiking this year (England, Germany, Australia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Switzerland, South Africa, Poland, Mexico)
    quite a few hiking the BMT
    at least 2 hiked from Key West
    2 SOBOs finished
    1 small dog being carried
    at least 1 dog had a hang tag
    1 family with 5 hikers

It stayed busy during each day this year. Every year I see more hikers do the Approach Trail and then head to Stover Creek Shelter. That makes for a long Day 1 of nearly 12 miles. Certainly doable but many will arrive late to the shelter with not much daylight left.

This year's weather was maybe the best and worst at the same time. It only rained one night and was over early in the morning. The wind was relentless though, causing it to feel colder than it was.

The hang tags were back on track with ATC issuing them at Base Camp at AFSP. I'm sure that helped to increase the numbers hiking the Approach Trail and the registration #'s themselves, which were higher this year than last year. 2411 registered as of 4/3/22 as opposed to 1564 registered as of 4/4/21. Quite an increase.

If you didn't already know it, canned food items are not really very hiker friendly, especially 3 bags of them, including 5# of spaghetti noodles and 2 big books. The hiker probably already was carrying 100# so it was not possible to carry the extra weight. I was able to get rid of a few items but the rest I'll give to Kincora Hostel. Pack it in, pack it out! (Anyone want/need a giant jar of chicken base - 287 servings worth?)

Another hiker had a bad night during the storm. The hiker returned to trailhead sans backpack, stating the intent to return. Fortunately, the hiker did return and retrieved backpack. Otherwise a ridgerunner would have had to pack it out. There were 6 ridgerunners this year rotating throughout GA.

I hope no one was too disappointed about not being an extra in 'A Walk in the Woods, part 2'. I think they ended filming and packed up early on April 1st.

It was a good time meetin' and greetin' everyone. I'm still surprised at how many hikers are ill prepared though. Nobody needs 2 large flashlights and excess camera equipment. At any rate, hope everyone's hike is going well! Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++