WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by climbingbear View Post
    Attachment 34345
    Attachment 34346

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    The first picture is looking at the front of the shelter with my back towards the dome.

The second is looking towards the back of the new shelter from where I pitched my tent on the old road.

Quote Originally Posted by climbingbear View Post
    If you are facing the dome, turn to your right and go up the road/hill and you will run into it. I'm not sure but I think you can see it from the dome.

The new shelter is easily visible from Dick's Dome Shelter. Call it 50 yards, ish. 60?

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Rafe- Just curious if you are referring to the lack of flat ground at the old shelter (Dicks Dome) or the new Shelter? From the pictures and my observation of the area where I believe this is (North of Dicks Dome), there is not a whole lot of flat ground around the new shelter either. I am going to try to do a hike in this area in the next few weeks and will check out the area for tenting (unless Red Cinema can comment on it). Agreed on design on Dicks Dome (also not down playing the hard work by volunteers that went into it.)
    I'd call flat ground availability near the new shelter "limited." There is an old road or wide path that parallels the stream near the shelters, that's pretty flat, and when I was there in mid-March a trio of Wisconsonites camped next to the new shelter on what I think is slightly sloped ground and seemed ok with it.

Bored at work so planning future AT hikes. Question: Is it safe to assume that this shelter will be fully operational by October 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by steve_zavocki View Post
    Bored at work so planning future AT hikes. Question: Is it safe to assume that this shelter will be fully operational by October 2017?
    Yes. I have 3 brothers that stayed at the new shelter November 25th of this year.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steve_zavocki View Post

If it hasn't burned down

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    If it hasn't burned down
    Not sure why you think it would be burned down. It is in northern Virginia. They were in the process of building a nice new shelter just south of it to replace it when I hiked thru there this past April.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    If it hasn't burned down
    Do you know something we don't ? Mystified as to why you said that.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Do you know something we don't ? Mystified as to why you said that.

Just that a lot of the trail has burnt, not usre you have heard, quite a bit of destruction to it and some facilities.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Not sure why you think it would be burned down. It is in northern Virginia. They were in the process of building a nice new shelter just south of it to replace it when I hiked thru there this past April.

OK out of the fire zone and all.

The new shelter is great. It has a nice covered section with benches and a picnic table, a large sleeping area with a nice loft for more space. It's really a great spot. I was there a few weeks ago and loved it.

Def. should wear some orange there this time of year - it is located in the midst of public hunting land.

2 weeks ago - great water!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the info and thanks to the PATC for the new shelter. I am planning on staying there during my week long section next October.

We were at the new shelter a month ago, thanksgiving weekend, 2016. It was so crowded, a local group of 8 having a beer party. The old Dicks dome was beautiful, but tiny. There were tenting spots just before the bridge, and near the old shelter. But they were all taken. We ended up tenting along a fire road upper hill from both shelters. The stream was running strong. Have bear pole and privy.

I stayed at Dick's Dome in Spring, 2016. There was a huge snake living in the water right in front of the shelter. We could hear the crew pounding nails up at the new shelter.

Journal Entries
    Images

Stopped by the shelter at lunch today...large group of users were there enjoying it. Looks very nice. I like the area around the old one too, hopefully they keep both. I kept on south to Manassas Gap.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Dick's Dome was the first shelter I ever slept overnight in on the AT. I am sad to see it go for nostalgic reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Journal Entries

Had a rough time finding my way completely across the creek in the twilight blazing had me confused. When I found it the next day I was excited to see the new shelter! So well built! Could have missed it if not for log book.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    CSS

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++