WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Who's leading the pack?

Yes, I know its not a race , but I was wondering how far north the leading thrus are. A couple years ago I spotted thrus in CT. in early May.

Images

First one to Katahdin looses!!
    What? Me worry??

Quote Originally Posted by 2XL
    Yes, I know its not a race , but I was wondering how far north the leading thrus are. A couple years ago I spotted thrus in CT. in early May.
    A "thru-hike" IS a marathon of sorts. No getting around it.

I agree with redneck, seems like you're just missing out on alot by racing thru.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree with redneck, seems like you're just missing out on alot by racing thru
    Plenty of time to be a sloth when you become retired thru hiker. Its not like the Trail goes away after you reach Katahdin.

I'm starting a flip-flop in Waynesboro on june 4. Do you think the pack will be that far north by then?

Images

My son's Scout troop ran into Will Call at the bottom of St. John's Ledges in CT last weekend. He said he had left Springer on 1/3. When we were out this past week in NY, all up and down the trail people were saying they had run into him or heard of him.

Jane in CT

Default Those ahead of me... Whose names I can remember!

Red Dane, Will Call, Moleman, Jolly Green Giant, Pebbles, Fat Camp, Xaiprn (or something like that), Woody Crow, Coconut Monkey, Do-Rag, and Slip-N-Slide are all ahead of me. I'm in Montebello, VA.

Will Call seems to be in front. There was a guy named Trek who was gaining but I have not seen his name in the registers lately. There is Bear,who went through Duncannon a few days ago. Red Dane went through Duncannon MondayMay 1. I arrived here May 2, leaving May 4. At ATC hq in Harpers Ferry Will Call had checked in number 1. Red Dane was 5 and I was 6. Don't remember who the others were.
    Red Ranger
    GAME 06

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

in 04? that might have been us...
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Isn't it, "First to Mt. Katahdin experienced the least." ?
    "Don't worry...even if things end up a bit too heavy...we'll all float on... all right."
    - Modest Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by kyerger
    I'm starting a flip-flop in Waynesboro on june 4. Do you think the pack will be that far north by then?
    there are quite a bit of thrus comin' throught the shennies right now.. so yea, i'd say there will be a pack.. the pack? i don't know.. but definitely a pack..
    twitter.com/kenseals

by quite a few.. i mean 4-5 a day
    twitter.com/kenseals

Kyerger, if past history holds up the median eventually-successful thru-hiker would be in Harpers Ferry on June 4. About two thirds of this field would be ahead of you and one third behind you if you start from Waynesboro then.

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates
    in 04? that might have been us...
    It may have been, it was day hiking near Belters Bump. Three weeks later
    I meet Hogwalker, while doing my section of the photo project

Quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
    Isn't it, "First to Mt. Katahdin experienced the least." ?
    Of course not. You hear this kinda stuff all the time - even on the trail. "They're hiking too fast. They couldn't possibly be enjoying themselves."

I finished on August 21, and while it would have been great to spend Fall in New England, that wasn't going to happen. Not in 2000 anyway. I had a great hike - even though I had the "misfortune" of averaging 20+ mpd from Shenandoah NP to Glencliff, NH. I was still walking 8-10 hours a day - 6.5 days a week. It's not like I had my eyes closed.

Similarly, I envy Squeaky for his experiences last year. Someday.... the PCT beckons.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Nobo-ers

Just got back from 11 days of section-hiking in VA...& "Jigsaw" & i hiked with thru-hikers that started in early to mid March.

So most of them should be entering SNP now heading NOBO!
    Go Class of 2006!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Geez, like it's a big accomplishment to start in wintertime, experience tons of freezing weather, miss the southern spring, and arrive up North just in time for Black Fly season.

Yeah, that sounds like a really fun thing to do. No wonder there are so many folks who want to hike to like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Geez, like it's a big accomplishment to start in wintertime, experience tons of freezing weather, miss the southern spring, and arrive up North just in time for Black Fly season.
    How is it less of an "accomplishment" then starting at any other time or in a SOBO direction?

Mowgli, I never said that leaving early and hiking really fast was a lesser accomplishment.

I was merely suggesting that it doesn't sound like a particularly fun way to hike.

But to each their own.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++