WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where To Stay In Hot Springs?

Heading down for a section hike next weekend and wondering where to stay. Will have a group of 4 and want something on the basic side. Some of the places sound too nice.

I stayed at the NOC last fall and the simple bunkhouse they provided was perfect. Anything similar in Hot Springs, NC?

Thanks!

Jack-leg--There are many GREAT places to stay in HS. But, as you have noted, more "nice" than "basic" and they are priced accordingly.

The Hot Springs Resort Campground is pretty basic. No bunkhouse, tho'. The bath houses are adequate. The atmosphere fine. Store has pretty much all you will need including beer and wine, if you desire. The prices are resonable.

Be sure to take in at least one soak in the hot tubs. It is a treat and good group rates. Seems there is something to that water!

There are a few good eating spots.

Others may know about more camping options....

Hot Springs is my favorite Trail Town. I wish I was going there, too! ENJOY!!
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Hot Springs is def. a cool trail town. You have several options for lodging in that town, all relatively inexpensive. The campground is nice, I stayed there on my thru-hike thru the town. There is a motel(wouldn't recommend) I heard the guy that runs it is a jerk. And I believe there are 2 hiker hostels, Elmers Hostel is really nice, clean, basic, great atmosphere and home cooked vegetarian meals. I recommend this place. Its a white house pretty much just across from the diner. Small town so cant miss it.

The Cody house is an option as well. Its a small 2 room house that holds 6. It has a kitchen, satalite TV w/ DVD. You can have a fire in the backyard, use the grill, chill on the porches, or nap in the hammock. Its cheap, clean and not crowded. I'm headed there now to eat steak and drink beer w/ some hiker....... calls himself Baltimore Jack.

Images

Jack,
    Elmer's caters to thru and long distance hikers only, and I'm sure he's very busy this time of year. I know of one hiker that drove up to his place last year, hoping to stay there to do a section hike and he turned her away. Just want to give you a head's up there. It is a great place to stay, and perhaps if you called him in advance and discussed your situation.... but I wouldn't drive up and expect to be able to stay there. There is a great little hotel just down the road a block or so, and I hear the campground is pretty cool too. Enjoy your section.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I saw plenty of people who weren't thru or long distance hikers when I stayed at Elmer's recently, and it was a full house every night (I stayed 3). So it's still an option. I absolutely loved Elmer's, the staff and Elmer are great people and the house is gorgeous! I highly recommend it. But maybe I'm biased. It's very reasonable, and also saves money on dinner and breakfast if you sign up for the meals, which are something like $6 extra each, and absolutely delicious into the bargain.
    I hear the motel off the main street is very nice, but modest too. I think that's the Magnolia. Some hikers I knew checked out a cabin and found it was pretty ratty. I don't know if they're all like that, probably not.
    Have fun in Hot Springs, it's a great town!
    "You were once wild here. Don't let them tame you."

Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Tree-girl
    I hear the motel off the main street is very nice, but modest too. I think that's the Magnolia. ...
    The Mountain Magnolia Inn & Resort is not "off the main street," unless you mean several blocks off. You might be thinking of a newly opened place around the corner from the Bluff Mtn Outfitters, who's name escapes me right now. Anyway, a Google search will turn up several places covering a broad range of amenities and prices. Here's the link for the Mountain Magnolia. It isn't cheap, but it's really nice!
    http://www.mountainmagnoliainn.com/

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

The Hot Springs Campground has cabins you can rent. $50-$60

Here's the link for the Mountain Magnolia. It isn't cheap, but it's really nice!
    http://www.mountainmagnoliainn.com/
    LOL... Do they even let hikers through the door?

Default stay at Elmers

Stay at Elmers, the feather beds are awesome!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tree-girl
    I saw plenty of people who weren't thru or long distance hikers when I stayed at Elmer's recently, and it was a full house every night (I stayed 3). So it's still an option. I absolutely loved Elmer's, the staff and Elmer are great people and the house is gorgeous! I highly recommend it. But maybe I'm biased. It's very reasonable, and also saves money on dinner and breakfast if you sign up for the meals, which are something like $6 extra each, and absolutely delicious into the bargain.
    I hear the motel off the main street is very nice, but modest too. I think that's the Magnolia. Some hikers I knew checked out a cabin and found it was pretty ratty. I don't know if they're all like that, probably not.
    Have fun in Hot Springs, it's a great town!

Elmer also holds retreats for groups that make reservations in advance. Those may be the people you saw. Elmer and I talked about this situation. IF you drive up in a car and expect a cheap room, expect to be turned away. He is not a hotel.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

I was on the back porch drinking beer with some other hikers. Two nice looking kids pulled up in a nice SUV. Elmer turned them away. Not half an hour later, another hiker walked up. Elmer said he had plenty of space and offered her the choice of rooms. I've told that story a few times and believe it or not, some people don't believe it.

I was on the back porch drinking beer with some other hikers. Two nice looking kids pulled up in a nice SUV. Elmer turned them away. Not half an hour later, another hiker walked up. Elmer said he had plenty of space and offered her the choice of rooms.
    Yeah but did he say the Inn was full? I can't imagine Elmer lying in turning guests away.

Images

No, I don't think so, he just reccomended another place to stay. They weren't hikers though, they said they had heard about this place from a friend. I imagine their friend was a hiker, otherwise it'd be pretty hard to find.

All in all, great place to stay. I'd reccomend it highly.

Elmer's is a great place to stay for all the above reasons. He has a rule much like the SMNP. He wants hikers that have been hiking for a least 50 miles. If you drive up in a SUV, it would appear that you have not been hiking. Distance hikers get a discount on rooms. Non-hikers must pay more. He also runs a business with the retreats etc. The retreats sound like they would be great to attend. I have section hiked the first 700 miles and Elmer's is the best place on the Trail that I have stayed. He has every AT book published, music, feather beds, great food, etc. It is not on the basic side. Disney, I believe your story. He wants long distance hikers, and looks after them.

Heres a link with the lodging options:

http://www.hotspringsnc.org/-Lodging

I stayed at the Jesuit Hiker Hostel which would have been exactly what you are looking for. Unfotunately, they are no longer offering a hiker hostel.

I also spent a night at the Alpine Court Motel but that is in the $70 range (I think) with a couple of beds (and A/C and television).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bilko
    He wants long distance hikers, and looks after them.
    Looks after them is an understatement. A few dollars for a gourmet meal, I still remember the specially made salad dressing. The house with all its amenities, my room had a private porch running the whole length of the house, looking over the garden. It's like a very expensive bed and breakfast at 95% off. That, and you're with other hikers instead of people who are willing to pay 100-150 per night. When I first walked in, I was astounded. If you're hiking and it's full, it's worth staying an extra day.

Wink where i stayed in town...

I don't know exactly what your situation is, or what you consider cheap. I did spend 2 nights in Hot Springs, when I was there just last month. My first night, I camped at the campground, which is by far the best deal in town. For 5 dollars, I got a nice secluded site with a picnic table. I was able to shower, relax, and no one bothered me. And yes, like others have said, the campground has cabins for rent, which looked nice.

My second night in town was spent at Elmer's, where I did a little work for stay. If you are long distance hiker, or if you're on a lengthy section, I'm sure Elmer's is a place you could stay. I think he was charging $15 for a bed, and an addtional charge for each meal. The total bill for dinner, breakfast, and the night's stay would have been like $28, I think, but like I said, I worked for stay.

You may consider another B&B called the Ducket House on the other end of town. I didn't stay there because they didn't have any work for stay available when I got to town. That being said, there were by no means expensive. They have a regular rate for a room in the house, but they also have a bunkhouse, for which I believe they charge $12 a bed. Breakfast would be an addtional charge if you stayed in the bunkhouse.

Lodging also exists at the Bridge Street Inn and Cafe right in the middle of town. I don't know what the rate is, but a friend of mine stayed there and he said it was pretty nice.

The motel looks sketchy, but I knew 2 people who stayed there with no problems.

I hope the information helps!!

Thanks for all the help folks. I called the Jesuit Hostel, they are out of business as someone mentioned. Tried the Cody house but they woundn't take a reservation. I ended up getting a fairly inexpensive cabin for the 4 of us. We are really only going to be there to catch some sleep and then on the trail but I think the other places are putting the thru hikers first and I don't blame them for that at all!

I can't wait to get down there tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help. This place is great.

Just got back from a hike and stayed at the Bridge Street Cafe and Inn. Rates were about $70/nite and it was good but not great. It is not a bed/breakfast and there is no service other than the room and a shared bath. I loved the fact that I could walk outside and was in the middle of downtown and next to a bar. It is also directly across the road from Bluff Mtn Outfitters.

++ New Posts ++