WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What's the nighttime temp in the PA Hills?

In the next week or two, I'm probably gonna section hike WV->NY.

What's the nighttime temps in the PA hills right now? Should I carry my +20' bag or my +40' one? (i use a windproof bivy sack)

thanks,
    gaul

~LIVE WELL~LAUGH OFTEN~LOVE MUCH~ Green Bean's Avatar
    Images

I say it gets pretty chilly at night here in PA but not to bad probably down into the upper 40s lower 50s . You can get onto the weather channel website www.weather.com and check out the temps. closer to your departure date.
    I say you can take your +40' bag and be fine ~GB
    "Plans to protect air, water, wilderness and wildlife are in fact plans to protect man."

Images

Gaul,
    I live on a 650' hill about 12 miles Due South of the midpoint between Lehigh Gap and Wind Gap (and get a great view of at least 30-40 miles of Blue Mountain ), anyways, with the exception of some fluke weather this weekend, nighttime lows have been ranging between the high 40's and low 60's.
    If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to take the 40d bag especially with the additional warmth of a bivy. I think you will find the other bag might be overkill.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Section Hiker ~ 125 miles adh24's Avatar
    Images

I never rely on the weather channel. My wife and I hiked Wind Gap to Del. Water Gap around the end of March. Here was TWC's forecast.
    Saturday,
    High in the mid 50s Lows in the high 30's low 40's 40% chance of a shower

Sunday,
    Basically the same forecast

Here's what really went down. Saturday was pretty close for the forecast a little cooler and an occasional off and on sprinkle mixed with a few sleet pellets. By the time we were pitching our tent it was a cold down pour with a mix of sorts. Rained all night. The temp when we woke at 5am to break camp was high 20s and oh yeah almost and inch of snow on the ground. When we made it the Del. Gap I was a little disappointed. The views were totally none existent cause of the snow. By the time we were halfway down the mountain the snow changed back to rain. Moral of the story, TWC channel spends to much time worrying about hotties talking about an apple fest in any town USA and not the weather. Sorry bout that rant.

You should be good in a +40. Was at the in laws over Easter Weekend in Lehighton, Pa just north of Allentown and the nights weren't to bad.

Enjoy

you cant go wrong with the 20

Images

Why are you worried specifically about PA? How far are you going into NY? NY, being a bit farther N, is generally a tad colder than PA.
    Anyhoo.... I'd take the 40 bag. It's close enough to that temp here at nights that with the bivy and putting on your extra clothes you'd be fine if it dips a bit. The 10 day low in Caledonia SP, which is near the high point in Pa, is 38 degrees (tonight - 4-25) and it just gradually warms up from there reaching 51 degrees on Thurs. night (May 4th), according to weather.com.
    If I had not been able to periodically renew myself in the mountains...I would be very nearly bughouse. - Wallace Stegner in Wilderness and the Geography of Hope

I just did a section hike in S.E. PA.. I had my 42 degree bag and was a little chilly. If you have a liner, you should be okay.

Thanks all!

Images

Was in SE PA over the weekend nightime temps were in the mid 30's at Tumbling Run Shelter. Was a bit chilly in my 45 degree bag even with all my clothes on. A bivy will definitely make a difference.....but choose wisely. BTW wether channel called for low 40's

++ New Posts ++