WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    When I first heard of this shelter, I figured it's access trail should be indicated with an offset, double-whiteblaze with the access trail whiteblazed too. What do you think of that idea, Programbo?
    Ummm..You mean as some sort of tribute to Mister Garvey?...When I first heard of this shelter I though, Why didn`t they build one down on the Potomac River?...I mean with this shelter there`s now 4 shelters within an 17-18 mile stretch and then a gap of 15 miles to the next one
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Images

You've indicated you like A.T. history and that part of experiencing the A.T. involves getting off of it even at times to see the trail towns. Learning about the people who built it and hiked it are important too.

This segment would be part of an A.T. hike where the friendly white markers lead to a place built in memory of one of its greatest hikers. Seems like a shelter built in memory of Ed shouldn't have a blue-blazed access trail, the A.T. would bend as it passed or at least nod.
    Last edited by emerald; 04-07-2007 at 14:40. Reason: Slight rewrite.

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    You've indicated you like A.T. history and that part of experiencing it involves getting off of it even at times to see the trail towns. Learning about the people who built it and hiked it are important too....This segment would be part of an A.T. hike where the friendly white markers lead to a place built in memory of one of its greatest hikers. Seems like a shelter built in memory of Ed shouldn't have a blue-blazed access trail, the A.T. would bend as it passed or at least nod.
    That`s about what I figured you meant but just wanted to be sure before responding....Yes I think part of the charm of the AT is the lore and tradition...When I go out on day hikes and meet people I always point out places the trail used to run or turn or where old shelters were...One of the things I always loved about the trail and which always drew me back was that it remained the same while the world raced on...Aside from the parts which were re-routed when I returned to the AT after 25 years and took the first short walk from the parking area up to the shelter it all looked exactly as it did back then..I knew every turn..every hill..the shelter was the same...But I ramble on....
    Yes a tribute to Mister Garvey would be nice...Maybe a small marker at the side trail at the least...I would have probably renamed an older shelter where he had actually stayed in his honor or renamed a section of the old AT which he walked and has been re-routed and is now a blue-blazed side trail the "Ed Garvey Trail" or something..But that`s just me
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
    I would have probably renamed an older shelter where he had actually stayed in his honor or renamed a section of the old AT which he walked and has been re-routed and is now a blue-blazed side trail the "Ed Garvey Trail" or something..But that`s just me
    OMG! You're not advocating building a blue-blazed Ed Garvey Trail and suggesting that the purist of A.T. hikers would hike it, are you? Well, I suppose we do have a Benton MacKaye Trail.

Images

Nice shelter with active mice. Water source is good, but located a half mile downhill. I liked the fresnel lens windows in the privy.

George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia

whats the easiest way to get to the ed garvey shelter? is there a parking lot near there, or are you going to have someone hike in from either the gathland or harper's ferry side?

Weverton Rd. 3 miles north

As in "dessert" not "desert"

I stayed here in the upstairs loft on Friday night. I don't usually stay in shelters, but I saw no rodent droppings, and it was cold enough so I didn't think any mice would be around anyway. Insofar as shelters go, it is very nice; the upstairs is good if you have "bearanoia", as it seems like it would be difficult for a bear to get up into!

The water source, as noted, is a long ways down a hill-- I passed on going down there, and just nursed a liter until I got to Harpers Ferry.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

I got stung twice in 1 minute there this past summer by yellow jackets. Horrid, aggressive yellow jackets with nasty dispositions.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

Default Ed Garvey shelter

I trail run that section of the AT often. The shelter is very nice, but I really like the privy. On a day-hike this summer a friend and I attempted to find the spring but the path was blocked with downed? trees. A few weeks ago when I was out trail running toward Weverton Cliffs a couple asked me "where the tree was with all the etchings, markings on it?" I had no idea what they were talking about. This is the section of the AT between Gathland Park and Weverton. Anyone know?

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Oh yeah, the privy with stained glass windows! I don't know what etchings on a tree people might be talking about, though.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

The carved tree is at the old brownsville? gap. Basically, it's an abandoned road crossing between Garvey shelter and the park with the correspondents monument. I know what she was talking about...there's initials on it going back 50 years. Its' pretty cool.

As an aside, that abandoned road crossing was also used to move some troops in the Civil war. When you're standing there you have to know that during the war Confederate soldiers climbed to that same ridge and deployed in line to stop the Yankees from flanking the guys north of them.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

I think that Mr. Garvey would be thrilled to have such a nice shelter named after him. I read all of his books on the AT and one on the Laurel Ridge Trail in Pennsylvania (a trail guide). He loved the Trail and was an avid shelter user and proponent of shelter building and maintenance. I plan on spending a night there, whether I ever do a thru or not in honor to his memory. He worked very hard to help procure land for the Trail for those after him (us) to use. I wish that I had been able to meet him personally before his passing.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Well I was there January 12, 2008 and I did'nt stay. Boy Scout troop 225 mad it there Jungle gym. The Scout Master was rude and and say anything to me or the other 2 guys that hiked in there. The kids were basicly telling us to hike on. TO TROOP 225 FROM OCEAN CITY, MD YOU ALL NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ THE SIGHNS. LEARN THE AT SHELTER RULES!!!
    "It's better to try and fail than not to try at all"
    " www.myspace.com/bigfonsie "

Fonsie,
    I believe that they are from the Del-Mar-Va council. Google it and file a complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by fonsie View Post
    Well I was there January 12, 2008 and I did'nt stay. Boy Scout troop 225 mad it there Jungle gym. The Scout Master was rude and and say anything to me or the other 2 guys that hiked in there. The kids were basicly telling us to hike on. TO TROOP 225 FROM OCEAN CITY, MD YOU ALL NEED TO LEARN HOW TO READ THE SIGHNS. LEARN THE AT SHELTER RULES!!!
    first come, first served. any serious/self-sufficient backpacker wouldn't consider a shelter anyway

Images

Default Very nice

We overnighted there when we did a 20 miler from Turners Gap to Harpers Ferry. Great fire pit with lots of seating around it, very nice shelter with ample deck seating and picnic table, and excellent privy. The water is an issue..........1/4 of a mile straight down a hill, and then up that hill loaded down with your water. Sign on the trail pointing to shelter can be easy to miss if you're trudging along and not watching for it.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

LW,
    I agree with you, myconcern is allowing the kids to say things to people that is rude and disrespectful. As i have said before on these page, my kids all carry at least half a tent. if they want to carry it and not use it and there is room in the shelter, that is their pain. if others come, though, they damn well will make room or set up what they have, i dont have any compromise on that point.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    first come, first served. any serious/self-sufficient backpacker wouldn't consider a shelter anyway
    what a crock o' *hit

first come first serve isn't a crock...it is the rules...it is just how you deal with it that makes you an a hole or not

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++