WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hiking poles ?

Default hiking poles ?

yes yes, tis time to retire the wooden staff and invest in something a little lighter and more useful. any suggestions ? i am eyeing the komperdell denali titans for $64.95. they seem to be fairly light weight and pack up the smallest for the price.
    "In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child. In the woods is perpetual youth." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I started out with Komperdell ultralights (REI labelled). They lasted quite a while and served me well. This past year I took advantage of a sale at REI and picked up a pair of Leki Titanium Ultralights.

Pretty hard to go wrong regardless of what brand/model you choose. One thing though ...the Leki rep shows up at Trail Days and will service your sticks free.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I use Leki Super Makalu. Leki have a liftetime guarantee against breakage and their customer service is outstanding.

hmmm ... lifetime guarantee eh ? that says alot.
    "In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child. In the woods is perpetual youth." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fivefour
    hmmm ... lifetime guarantee eh ? that says alot.
    ==================================
    ...and you'll pay dearly for it. But then again, a lifetime warrany may well be worth it.

I initially went the less expensive route and got decent service/life out of the komperdells for the price paid. If you take decent care of a pair of sticks and don't end up impaling a tip and bending/braking a pole they will stay with you for many a mile.

'Slogger

I agree with Footslogger that it is pretty hard to go wrong regardless of what brand/model you choose.

I have been using what is now called the Black Diamond Switchback for five years, and I am very happpy with them. I like the FlickLock locking mechanism and the poles are compact for travel. I recommend any of the models with the double FlickLocks.

My experience has been that Black Diamond provides excellent customer service.
    "Space and time are not conditions in which we live; they are simply modes in which we think," Albert Einstein

Images

i'm probably just nostalgic, but i still like my staff... i cut it when i was in boy scouts about 30 years ago. it's been everywhere i've been. being a bit longer than a hiking pole, i have found it useful for crossing streams, holding up the edge of a tarp, moving snakes, climbing down steep portions of trails, and should i ever run into an unfriendly animal, i'd prefer something more stout than an aluminum/titanium tube. that said, my knees still complain, but not that loudly. so maybe someday i'll need two staves, and will go to poles.

on the cheap side, walmart sells poles called swiss-something or other for about $10 each... someone here used them without trouble, though they don't have a 'lifetime' guarantee... though i've not used them hiking, just handled them in the store, they seem sturdy enough. so for $10, it might be worth trying if you need another option besides lekis.

i just hiked a few days in the smokys with a friend who used the swiss poles. they worked great until we got back to the van and he couldn't collapse them. the twist and lock mechanism wouldn't unlock.

i do agree with you on the protection that a wooden staff offers. i do uphills so much better with 2 poles however and 2 wooden poles get a little heavy after a bit.

Images

[quote=Seeker]i'm probably just nostalgic, but i still like my staff... i cut it when i was in boy scouts about 30 years ago.
    ==========================================
    Me too ...and it's hanging over the fireplace mantle. Has all sorts of engravings and shields on it marking the different trails it has seen. 3 treks to Philmont and well over 2000 AT miles. But I'll tell you honestly, with a trekking pole in each hand, adjusted to the correct height, I get much better balance and establish a smooth pace/rythm. And although I have the heart and mind of a youngster, this chassis does have almost 57 years on it and the sticks are much better for controlling the load on my knees during downhills.

But, it's all about personal preference. Ain't nothing wrong with a trusty old staff.

'Slogger

Geezer

i do agree with you on the protection that a wooden staff offers.
    How many animals have you bonked with it so far?
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    How many animals have you bonked with it so far?
    uhmmmm ... well, i chase my cat around the house with it but if you are asking about wild animals, i would have to say none. i have used it to move some very cold snakes off the trail however. and once at mount rogers i bonked the hell out of a friend for putting pony poo in my pocket. wow that really fired me up.

i just hiked a few days in the smokys with a friend who used the swiss poles. they worked great until we got back to the van and he couldn't collapse them. the twist and lock mechanism wouldn't unlock.
    I have been "testing" a pair of the Swiss Gear Poles from WalMart since Christmas. During the winter most of my hiking is road walking so I have almost worn out the first set of rubber tips. When I tried to buy a new set of the tips, I found that it is just as cheap to buy a new set of poles.

At $9.99 per pole, one can't have too high of expectations, but I have had no problems.

It took several weeks before I discovered the "shock absorbers" in the poles. I think the shock absorbers were locked when the poles were new. Once I knocked them loose, they have worked well.

So far, I have avoided bending them.

At the price, I consider them to be a bargain. They are particularly well suited for someone, like me, who isn't sure they want to use hiking poles. Like I said, I am still testing them.
    Shutterbug

Images

This is the part that bothers me....stating that so far I have avoided bending or breaking them.

When I have all my weight resting on a wooden staff/pole going down a steep step if it breaks or bends...I am doomed!!!

Images

[quote=Shutterbug]I have been "testing" a pair of the Swiss Gear Poles from WalMart since Christmas.
    ======================================
    I saw those at the local Wal-Mart and wondered how they'd hold up. Those are the ones with the little compass built into the handgrip, correct ??

Pretty hard to beat that price if in fact they are reasonably strong and durable.

'Slogger

Images

walmart speacial 9.99! great shock absorbent poles! screw the rest of those expensive ones

Quote Originally Posted by Hana_Hanger
    This is the part that bothers me....stating that so far I have avoided bending or breaking them.

When I have all my weight resting on a wooden staff/pole going down a steep step if it breaks or bends...I am doomed!!!
    Poles usually dont bend under those circumstances (i.e. climbing down a step).
    Usually it's when the pole goes deep between two rocks or logs and you keep on moving forward; it forms a big lever and the lower half gets bent.

[quote=fivefour]yes yes, tis time to retire the wooden staff and invest in something a little lighter and more useful. any suggestions ?

Noooooo.......say it's not true. Have to ask why the change of heart? I've been using my hickory stick for 20 something years and thought switching but too attached to my stick to let it go.

Geezer

once at mount rogers i bonked the hell out of a friend for putting pony poo in my pocket.
    Justifiable bonking! I can see where a carbon fiber pole would be inadequate for that task.
    Frosty

Images

Default Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTrail
    Poles usually dont bend under those circumstances (i.e. climbing down a step).
    Usually it's when the pole goes deep between two rocks or logs and you keep on moving forward; it forms a big lever and the lower half gets bent.
    Thank you for clearing this up...now I would have more trust in those kind of trekking poles

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++