WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

If you only read the whiners' posts, you'd think he said nasty things about Miss Janet, when he called her a generous saint.
    Whose are the whiners posts?

It's clear he didn't say anything derogatory about Miss Janet only her place and a few of her guests. Yet instead of just leaving when he felt uncomfortable, or speaking up and addressing any problems he just chose to whine about it on his online journal.

As someone mentioned, Jack can't rightly defend himself under the circumstances and it would have been best to leave his name out of it, not eat his food then complain.

Shutterbug, if you're an attorney, then I'm somewhat surprised that you would think that his journal entry could be even remotely libelous. I don't see where there is malicious intent to cause injury nor where the comments were known to be false and yet where published anyway with injurious intent. Moreover, I'd think one would have a hard time showing that the comments actually caused financial injury. The journal entry is obviously one person's opinion -- not much different from, say, restaurant reviews published in nearly every newspaper nationwide. Finally, I don't see that he really said anything bad about Miss Janet or the hostel -- in fact, he posted several times how much he liked and admired her -- just that he didn't care for his experience or some of the people he met. So what's the big deal?

Again, I'm impressed with Miss Janet having 37 people in her house and not grabbing a shotgun in the middle of the feast and bagging everyone in there.

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug
    A wise man once said, "Accordingly, what you have said in darkness will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in private rooms will be shouted from the housetops." (Luke 12:3)

The best plan is to not say negative things about others.
    While I disagree that it is libel, I do agree in the general gist of your last post, Shutterbug.

If someone has a problem with Jack, say it to him directly or don't say it at all.

I see a big problem with hikers who always want it their way who choose to complain through rumoring than to face people tha bother them and offer constructive criticism.

Manifest your reality! If you don't like an element, avoid it. No one owes you anything. If you remain to stay without saying a word, that's your own problem. If you say something and are met with grief, then maybe you have a right to seek outside help. But before that it's only really a matter between you and the person you have a problem with.

I write journals all the time, and at no point do I try to convince my self that what I say is not open for public comment. If I have a right to put it on the internet, don't others have the right to respond with what I put into their minds?

At the same time, I realize that writing on the trail can really (and hopefully) disassociate you from the internet perspective. I would not be suprised that the author of it never had ill intentions, but felt it was a purely observational perspective.

In my reading, it seems this person has a good heart but is deeply troubled by the personal issues he describes, which have left him feeling ostracized or outcast due to an identity crisis with his sexual orientation.

If you have only hurt to share, share it in a way where it does not perpetuate.

THE BURDEN OF NOTHING
    A student asked T'ou-tzu, "How about when I don't bring a single thing?"

T'ou-tzu said, "Where did you get this?"
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Some wise recent comments, especially from Wook and Sgt. Rock.

Sly: I don't feel the need to "defend" myself, for Boulder's comments were foolish as well as false. And how on earth does one argue with anyone who doesn't care for Johnny Cash? Geesh, I don't have time to waste on anyone like that!

Also, a minor correction to Sly's post: While I helped prepare Janet's feast (along with some other great folks) and while I helped supervise the serving at dinnertime, it wasn't "my food" by any means. Nearly everything was purchased and prepared by Janet and her good friend and neighbor "That Guy." All I did was help cook and serve it, as well as supervising the clean-up afterwards. (I don't recall Boulder helping much with any of this, by the way, I guess he was too busy digesting, or festering over what an awful time he was having there.....whatever his complaints about the hostel or the folks in it, it certainly didn't seem to affect his appetite. His disposition is evidently another matter).

I concur with Wook about the tendency of folks to say things on the Internet they wouldn't have the nerve or temerity to say to someone's face. This is one of the reasons that my real name appears on my posts: When I have something strong to say, especially if it's about another individual, I have no problems either taking full credit for my comments, nor do I have a problem addressing folks directly.

Other folks, evidently, prefer to say nasty things hiding behind a rock. Or perhaps a "Boulder."

But it's not worth getting too upset about. As I said earlier, this guy's trip will either be short or fairly solitary. From other comments and entries in his Journal, he's evidently either unhappy, dis-contented, or confused about any number of thngs. Many of his posts so far have been almost relentlessly negative.

I wish him happier days and a better trip, but at the end of the day, folks are about as happy as they themselves decide they want to be. Some people will find a way to be miserable no matter what, and those folks are best left to find their own peace.

Images

Default you couldnt pay me enough...

Well I always thought miss Janet was a very nice lady!Even when I was a drunk they put up with my sorry rump.I am sure this feller just got spooked or something,I dont know,but just let it be a learning experience,I dont drink anymore so I avoid the party scene!but to sit and judge fellow Hikers,thats not my Job!and well it comes with the turf!hope that feller aint going to trail days,boy he will be in for a treat if he wants some rest. ky

Okey dokey Jack. I stand corrected.

Default Miss Janet is cool

I liked Miss Janet's hostel. I think that the "hostel thing" is part of the whole trail experience. I don't drink or party and I certainly enjoyed the lasagna breakfast last year at Miss Janets. I have only one or two bad memories from people on the trail. I looked at as a "Looking for America" cultural thing. Sometimes peoples attitudes and beliefs can seem overwhelming and I think this guy could have had just as bad a time in a shelter out on the trail as he did at Miss Janet's depending on his company. Also a word for Baltimore Jack, Even when I tried to start a political argument with him last year, He remained benign and helpful with trail advice and a great steak dinner up there in Glencliff. I, for one, appreciate good meals on a thru-hike provided at hostels.....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle
    My advice to those northbounders who are truly interested in completely the whole trail is to avoid as many hostels/shelters/designated campsites as possible in the spring down south.
    what a "a******" statement...........

Journal Entries
    Images

well boulder you are absolutely a crybaby..............

Images

This is the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen. No one is forced to read the guy's journal, and everyone in this thread is acting much worse than they guy that supposedly started it all. Stop whining and get outside.

What Rain Man said. Read the journal article, it doesn't sound like an inveterate whiner/complainer to me. In fact he admits that he probably was there on the wrong day, and praises Miss Janet. Basically he says that the experience wasn't his cup of tea, and explains why. Big deal.

Though I admit, it is a publically displayed journal and the author shouldn't be surprised if some of the ad hominem attacks were taken with umbrage.

...Man! This is almost the perfect country and western love song. So far we've got whiskey, Johnny Cash, lonely, somebody done somebody wrong, somebody's got the blues and somebody's on somebody else's fightin' side. All we need is for somebody to mention prison, momma, trains, Uncle Johnny, Wingfoot and "A Walk in the Woods."

I don't blame you Jack, I'd be p***ed too.

Especially if somebody called me middle-aged...or at least I would have been back when I was middle aged. But what the hey, old Jim Beam drinkers have been called whole lot worse by much better people. (Of course being Easter and all...well that cuts pretty deep.)
    Perhaps you might try sippin' J. Daniels while visiting the more up-scale establishments. Of which Miss Janet's palace reigns supreme.

Save the "sucking down" for some other road house on the edge of town, out by the train...........that run over Mtn Momma...the day Wingfoot took Bill Bryson's pick up truck to get Uncle Johnny out of prison...in the rain...
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."
    (Forrest Gump; Greenbow, Alabama)[/I] [/COLOR]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man

If you only read the whiners' posts, you'd think he said nasty things about Miss Janet, when he called her a generous saint.

RainMan

I am sure that I never misunderstood the journal entry. I read it as well. I was mearly pointing out that calling out any person by name for criticism in a public forum without addressing the issue in private with said individual is bad form. I noticed that boulder's online journal is at over 25,000 views. That is far from being a private journal shared among a few friends. What whining has to do with my contributions to the topic is beyond me. Post away.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Krewzer
    Perhaps you might try sippin' J. Daniels while visiting the more up-scale establishments. Of which Miss Janet's palace reigns supreme.

Save the "sucking down" for some other road house on the edge of town, out by the train...........that run over Mtn Momma...the day Wingfoot took Bill Bryson's pick up truck to get Uncle Johnny out of prison...in the rain...
    Gotta love that post, I don't care who you are.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Of all the '06 journals on TJ, so far I'm most impressed with Boulder's. He's a good writer and expresses his thoughts, emotions, and the experience of thru-hiking the AT very well. He sure doesn't hide his feelings well, which I guess rankles some folks.

But what did he actually write in the "offending" entry? Well, nothing disparaging about Miss Janet herself, that's for sure. Examples . . .

In the FIRST paragraph: "Miss Janet is a terrific lady and lives up to her reputation but I met her and was at her house on the wrong day."

Two graphs later: "I can't say the food wasn't amazing. There were 37 people in line for the Roast and plenty left over. She and her daughter and a team of hikers, Caboose included, spent 2 days preparing. There was a ham, a turkey, piles of sweet potatoes, sides and gravy and sauces. I went through the line just once and still had no room for dessert."

Next: " headed to McDonald's this morning for cheap breakfast. She sent me out with $30 to buy sausage biscuit sandwiches for all the cooks. She has class. She also shuttled a bunch of us to the grocery store for resupply. After dinner she shuttled those of us leaving to the trailhead."

Further on: "I can never say anything bad about Miss Janet. She loves and is devoted to hikers. When she dropped us at the trail gave me a hug and thanked me for sticking around. Hugs for everyone."

His biggest "sin" in the whole entry, the way I read it, is that he didn't seem to think too much of Jack, and wasn't shy about saying so. In this thread, Jack has certainly used a lot more bandwidth to retalliate. I'm sure they'll both live to hike another day.

Default A reply and a short morality tale

Insightful post Skyline, especially the last paragraph.

Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the unhappiest hiker of them all?

"From other comments and entries in his Journal, he's evidently either unhappy, dis-contented, or confused about any number of thngs. Many of his posts so far have been almost relentlessly negative.

I wish him happier days and a better trip, but at the end of the day, folks are about as happy as they themselves decide they want to be. Some people will find a way to be miserable no matter what, and those folks are best left to find their own peace."
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

I'm happy as a clam, Warren, but it sure is gratifying to see how much you're concerned about this. It does my heart good to know you're thinking of me.

halibut, i agree with you. I cannot believe this thread has gone on this long. I tried to stop this thing back on post #35.

I was planning on keeping a journal next year. Now, I might not. Do I want to get bashed and thrashed on this website? over and over and over, geez. Just for writing down what I am feeling or my experiences, good or bad?

If I do go ahead and keep a journal for family and friends, will I write what I am actually feeling? Or will I make it PC so as to not offend anyone. Now I'll have to carry a huge journal with me, of course, then I'll get bashed for carrying too much weight! hahaha

anyway, he wrote what he was feeling, what he felt his experience was. he did not bash Miss Janet. Should he have mentioned names? Who cares. That's between him and the people he named.

PLEASE, LET IT GO! I would say "life is too short" but life isn't too short...it's the longest thing you'll ever do. So make the most out of it. I have a saying..."is this going to make a difference in my life 10 or 20 years from now??? If yes, then deal with it. If not, screw it! Get on with something else.

How about someone start a thread about thruhikers BEST experiences while thru hiking. then it won't be so negative.

Well, I do have things to. Have a nice day.

Semper Fi,

Coopdog

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=COOPDOG] I was planning on keeping a journal next year. Now, I might not.
    =====================================
    Suggestion ...don't let the banter here at Whiteblaze sway you from keeping an on-line journal. If you decide not to, do it for your own reasons.

Most everyone I know who has an on-line journal is darned glad they created and maintained it. You'll be amazed how much it means to YOU once your hike is over. The memory plays tricks on us but if you take the time to record stuff that happened to you along the way you'll always have it.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Thank you footslogger. A ray of sunshine in an otherwise dreary thread.

Semper fi,

Coopdog

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++