WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mdfan View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not clear- you are allowed to camp at PenMar? Is there an actual campground, or do you just pitch along the trail? Fee? I've looked all over the net and can't find any info.

You are not allowed to camp in PENMAR. It is just a very small park with picnic tables and other things in the middle of a neighborhood. The AT simply transits through it.

The place I camped looked like an unofficial camping area, kind of common along the AT. You are permitted to camp along most of the AT, just pick a spot off the trail and ~200 feet from a water source.

No fees.

Look into this: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Wow! The new shelter is beautiful! Love the bear line cables, covered dining area. All this place needs is a couch and satellite t.v. Great job!

is the new shelter down the hill where the old one was?

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    is the new shelter down the hill where the old one was?
    Opposite side of the trail.

thanks SLY

Images

Default I'd be happy to go and check it out for those interested.

I live within about a 5 mile drive from it. I haven't checked out the shelter cause I am so close but know there is a spring there as well as the shelter and a port o potty kind of thing there.

I usually go there because of the blockfield there which is really cool actually. It's not far from the shelter and is pretty much a river of boulders and if you stand on it you can hear the water running underneath it. Here's a video of it that I made a few years back... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1xoYvYr0Lw

I may have time tomorrow to go to it and take some photos so you all can see for yourself. It might help...
    "We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust. The stars form a circle, and in the center we dance." ~ Rumi

GA-ME 2011
    Images

So where is the water at the new shelter? The only source I know is by the old Devils Race Course shelter.
    I know the AT Guide says 0.1 mile away but I haven't found it yet.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

There is a spring right near there but I don't think it is marked very well. If it isn't when I go there tomorrow I can take some photos of where it is as well. Maybe if I can find a way to mark it for everyone I will. There are different springs in the area (off the AT that are actually pretty nice - I get my water from one off of Pleasant Valley Road but it is a bit off the beaten path) but there is one right there at the shelter. Let me survey the area for everyone and hopefully help you all out with that. Like I said if I can help by marking it I will....
    "We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust. The stars form a circle, and in the center we dance." ~ Rumi

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The spring is marked. Approx .4 down the switchbacks. Take a cup to dip.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I stayed at Raven Rock (new shelter) on Sunday. There is a sign at the shelter that says "Spring .6 mile". We got water at Littel Antitem Creek next to Rte 419, about 1.1 mile from the shelter. Also theare were unconfirmed reports of a bear cub sighting at Devils Racecourse Shelter.

Tumbleweed

Images

I just did a review of the area via photos and a video so here you all go. I am a little under the weather and did this fairly quickly but I am hoping it helps. The Spring is marked... Honestly the inside of the Shelter seemed fine so I am not sure what was up with the tarp on top but probably should be reported (new to this so any suggestions let me know but I am guessing the AT Maintenance folks for the area?). It was thundering but never rained so I couldn't sit in it to see if any rain would come through the roof. The outhouse didn't stink but I will purchase a couple of brooms and leave one in there and in the shelter.

I didn't see any bears near there but not sure what time of the day they possibly were spotted if there were some. Probably just looking for water I am guessing...it's been hot the past couple of weeks. I also have posted my airbnb details since I am offering lodging at my home through that and you do need reservations but I am close to alot.

Anyway, hope this at least gives you an idea of the place and you can decide for yourselves if you want to stay there or not. Also, if you ever find you are heading that way and want to have some supplies left there, contact me here and I'll see if I am available to help out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Soolah

Images

You know...maybe I have it all weird...let me know if this is the old one? I don't think so but just in case. If there is another there let me know but it's the only one I know of...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Soolah Hoops View Post
    You know...maybe I have it all weird...let me know if this is the old one? I don't think so but just in case. If there is another there let me know but it's the only one I know of...
    That looks like the old shelter.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yes I saw the bear there. I would not use water by the road crossings - it travels from farm areas.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Thanks for the video. You filmed the old Devil's Racecourse Shelter, the new one, which was built last year is called Raven Rock. Apparently the water source for Raven Rock is the springs you pictured at the Devil's Racecourse Shelter. I guess the confusion comes from the 2011 AT Guide which says the water source is 0.1 miles from Raven Rock Shelter. It is actually 0.6 miles down the blue blaze to the old shelter.
    Raven is a beautiful shelter set on the ridge top with plenty of tent sites, picnic tables and benches around a fire ring.

DSC00905.jpg
    Here's a picture of the new Raven Rock shelter

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...?i=53008&c=567
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

It looks like Soolah hoops is a great asset for the area...if not already are you a member of your local trail club?

Images

Ok cool and good to know... And yes the new shelter is beautiful! I can see why they put it there since it is right on the trail and away from anyone bugging AT hikers from the area. I'll have to trek up to it at some point. At least in getting water it is great to go check out the scenery down there at the blockfield. I am not a member of the local trail club and will have to dig around an see what it is called. Like I said if you all are coming through the area just let me know cause maybe I can leave some water jugs and supplies for you all at points if it's set up ahead of time. Now I have more places to explore above the shelter. I went North at one point but did not go south to even see the new shelter...so yeaaa! Well glad to help in whatever way I am able...

GA-ME 2011
    Images

The chapter that takes care of the trail in your area is the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club
    http://www.patc.net/PublicView/
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Cool Don! Thank you...

I don't know if this shelter is available anymore. We went past Raven Rock shelter. We didn't even see signs for Devil's Racecourse. Raven Rock was nicely kept but we kept on moving for the night.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++