WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Age and endurance hiking?

Squeaky, how old are you?

It seems that a lot of the well-known endurance athletes don't peak until they are about 40 years old.

I guess they have developed their mental game by then and age is only a minor factor in chipping away at their physical endurance.

I wouldn't want to answer for Squeaky on many subjects, but I think it's ok to say he is 26.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Being well over twice Squeaky's age (closer to three times his age), I'm going to say that the young have natural energy and endurance. The old have knowledge and experience - and generally have learned how to get the most out of the energy and endurance they still have.

The male half of the Frolicking Dinos

I smell like New Jersey... SGTdirtman's Avatar
    Images

Being only 23 I feel like i have tons of energy, great endurance, I'm in good physical shape.

But somehow my father can still kick my butt out on the trail, doing more miles a day than me and he's 55. One thing that is different between us is recovery time. We can both do the same amount of physical activity and beat the living hell out of ourselves, but he seems to need a few days to recovery where I'm usually set the next morning. Or maybe he's just smarter than me and doesnt enjoy pain as much?
    crew chiefs can fix anything with pro seal and 100mph tape...

Images

Default Differences in age.

Usually, the younger guys have more immediate strength and power, but fade somewhat as time goes on. Recovery is fast. The older guys have the staying power and are slow and steady. Recovery can take a while. When you can combine the two into a thirty something backpacker, you get a real hiking machine. This is what I've noticed, anyway.
    Greg P.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
    Usually, the younger guys have more immediate strength and power, but fade somewhat as time goes on. Recovery is fast. The older guys have the staying power and are slow and steady. Recovery can take a while. When you can combine the two into a thirty something backpacker, you get a real hiking machine. This is what I've noticed, anyway.
    It is no coincidence that the elite marthoners tends to be in their early 30s.

In the hiking world, Scott Williamson did his PCT yo-yo at 32 (IIRC).

So, I think you are right on....

Of course, I'm 32 soon..but I am better at drinking beer than endurance hiking.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

I would hope that with age would come wisdom (Or at least the world used to work that way) and as hikers got older they would slow down more not because they weren`t physically able to grind out the big miles but because they would appreciate what the trail means and represents beyond just being some sort of course that needs to be run.

I started section hiking the AT at 22. At 33, I thru-hiked it. Since then I've hiked many other shorter trails (the LT, the Rees-Dart in New Zealand, etc) and now am section hiking the CDT. A few observations:

I'm now hiking more miles per day at 54 than I did at 22. Part of the reason for that is that I'm now carrying much less weight. The other thing is that I stay in shape year round and ramp up my training leading up to a hike.

This ain't rocket science. Minimize pack weight. Maximize physical conditioning. 'Nuff said.

++ New Posts ++