WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sewing Machine Recommendations

Ok, I've decided to make the leap and start making my own gear (besides alcohol stove). I know hardly anything about sewing and even less about machines.

So, could you guys give me some tips in what to look for when buying?

What features do I need and which ones do I not need?

How much does a sewing machine that could make tarps, small packs, and even fleece garments cost?

Hope that is specific enough....Thanks in advance for the advice.

I started making my own gear and had an old old sewing machine. Tried it for a couple of nights, it worked but was a big hassle overall - broke a ton of needles, tangled/broke thread etc etc. I went to Wal-Mart and spent ~$70 on a cheapy with about 15-20 different stitches and it works great. I've made some fleece items, a synthetic top quilt (sewed thru 3 layers of insulation and the two silnylon layers without much trouble), hammock tubes, and some other odds-and-ends. I don't think anything fancy is needed for the DIY projects unless you want to get really fancy - even then you could probably do it with just a few different stitches and some knowledge.

I've been using a "White" brand, bought at Wally's. Not very expensive, and has the features I need - like, straight stitch and zig-zag stitching. It also can be used to sew somewhat "tube" shapes, like with sleeves or stuff sacks since an area around where you'd be stitching can be removed to make it possible. It comes with basic accessories,(like a zipper foot), and easy to understand instructions too.

Homemade gear is really neat to make! I wish you well !

Perkolady

Images

older sewing machines from the 70's and earlier are able to handle thicker material. some are also able to handle #69 thread which is useful when sewing nylon webbing. an all metal geared machine will last longer than the newer ones, which have some plastic parts. i would advise buying one from a reputable sewing machine repair shop.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Yea, Sewing....

Got to the Flea Market near you, and find the 'sewing-machine guy'. There's usually one at every market. Get him to show you a good, used, straight-stich machine. Tell him what you want to make, ask him to thread up the machine and sew on it. If he can't or won't do that, don't buy it. Tell him you need to use heavier thread, and a stronger needle, ask him to set up the machine like that for you. Sewing is easy, actually. Just use your common sense....don't stick fingers under the needle. Adjust the 'tension'....from bottom and top, get them even. Top tension is applied with the device on the 'front outside, top' of the machine....higher #'s mean more tension....bottom tension is set up with the 'bobbin', which is underneath the flat surface, under the needle area. Take out the 'bobbin' and the small spool of thread there. Pull the thread through the tensioner spring on the bobbin until you feel tension. Adjust with a small screw driver until top tension and bottom pull through the 'eye' in the base plate with equal tension. Usually when sewing through thick material, use a 'wide stich pattern', adjustable on the dial that faces you at 'mid-machine'.
    A good machine is well oiled and maintained....should cost between 35 - 65$. It's your best bet....get a 'metal' machine, not a 'plastic, later one'. They're usually throw-away, like everything else made in China. A Singer is a good choice, or an old Sears model. Good luck, like anything really creative or useful, it requires patience and lots of work. KZ@
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

If you want a older model, look at Goodwill or Salvation Army. I found a old Singer- 10-12 yrs old has 10 features, had to download the manual . Cost was $12 on a moonlight sale ( last friday of each month- 50% all items) at Salvation Army.

Mike

I recently liberated my Mom's old Kenmore machine. She couldn't find the manual, but a large selection of old manuals can be had at this site:
    http://www.sewusa.com/
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I just bought a nice Necchi Sewing Machine from this guy: http://stores.ebay.com/Firefly-Ridge-Sewing-Products

I told him I needed a machine that could sew through think cordura and built-up this nice Necchi for me. It's got a more powerful motor, lower gearing, and an industrial drive belt. It runs like a mountain goat in heat. Check my blog for more info:

http://biketour.blogspot.com/

Images

Default true walking foot

Get a machine that has a True Walking Foot. Ask a machine guy to explain what it is. Buy a used one from a reputable dealer or private owner locally. Ask to see it sew before buying etc.

You'll be able to sew everything

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph
    Get a machine that has a True Walking Foot. Ask a machine guy to explain what it is. Buy a used one from a reputable dealer or private owner locally. Ask to see it sew before buying etc.

You'll be able to sew everything
    Here is a little info about a true walking foot and a link to a machine on e-bay.

A true walking foot machine is unique compared to a machine with a walking foot attachment, an attachment which can be acquired for most any machine. A walking foot attachment is a large device that replaces the regular foot and provides an extra set of feed dogs on top of the material. However, a walking foot attachment merely provides extra pressure while the material moves through, the movement being applied by only the lower feed dogs.
    A true walking foot machine has the upper feed integrated into the machine. The difference between a machine with a walking foot attachment and a true walking foot machine is the difference between putting chains on your tires versus having true 4 wheel drive. A true walking foot machine not only provides additional pressure on top of the material, but the integrated upper feed pulls the material through, in sync, with the lower feed dogs allowing thick and difficult materials to easily be fed through the machine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alphasew-Industr...QQcmdZViewItem

Images

Here is a little info about a true walking foot and a link to a machine on e-bay.
    Would a Needle Feed machine be better for backs and stuf than a real walking foot?

Images

Crap, no edit on this forum. That's packs instead of backs

Images

Default like having frosting on the cake :o)

Funbun---

I think Needle Feed is a feature on industrial machines as shown in the link provided

Here is a partial quote from that listing
    Good condition. Machine works perfectly. This is a Juki DLU 490-4 with an extra large table for handling and moving material. This superb machine has a walking foot to aide sewing heavier materials, and needle feed, again to aid in helping sew the heavier materials. This machine is also capable of sewing light fabrics. The machine sews both foward and reverse. This machine has automatic backtack in the beginning and end of a sewing line,as well as automatic thread cutting and a needle positioner that stops the needle in the "down" position during sewing and stopping, and then "finishes" with the needle in the "up" position when automatically cutting the thread
    I think the needle feed consists of the needle staying in the down position in the fabric as the walking foot moves the fabric through.

I believe the needle feed feature is like having frosting on your cake and eating it too!!!!!!

I have a true walking foot machine without needle feed and have sewn 2000 denier nylon with 1/8 inch thick webbing attached to make handles for duffle bags.

Zelph

Images

I have a true walking foot machine without needle feed and have sewn 2000 denier nylon with 1/8 inch thick webbing attached to make handles for duffle bags.

Zelph
    Cool, what machine do you have?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by funbun
    Cool, what machine do you have?
    I have an older model "NATIONAL". Made in Belvedere, IL Ihave it in my garage covered up with STUFF piled on top of it, can't get to the model number. The price was right, FREE. From a friend of my wife that has a tailoring buisness. She used it for leather.

Years ago I had a double needle "Dirkopp" made in Germany, it had the walking foot also.

Zelph

++ New Posts ++