WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Missing hiker's campsite saves lost hikers

Instructive reading, especially for those who repeatedly tell others, especially
    newcomers to backpacking, that essential items, such as maps, aren't necessary on popular "well-marked" trails.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerzim
    Is this "lost hiker" the same one that was being talked about here last year?
    Member of a hiking club down South and a friend of one that reads this forum?

I've often wondered about him.

Not to start yet another one of these threads, but the PCT isn't well marked. In fact, it's hardly marked at all.

I agree though that newcomers to backpacking should always carry maps, and know how to use them.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs

Yes, it's that hiker. I was saying on another forum that there's a poetic beauty to how it all worked out. One guy goes missing, exactly how I want to go when it's my time, and then his pack is found a full year later in the middle of nowhere by two lost hikers who are able to save themselves.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender
    Not to start yet another one of these threads, but the PCT isn't well marked. In fact, it's hardly marked at all.

I agree though that newcomers to backpacking should always carry maps, and know how to use them.
    Actually the point was that the two hikers that found the backpack were lost from hiking on another trail:

Day, 28, and Allen, 24, were in Southern California for a financial convention. They got lost west of Palm Springs when they wandered off a trail near the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway during what was supposed to be a day hike.
    So yes, see if they had a map, they could have gotten themselves "found". The point was not about how John Donovan got lost on the PCT which is not a well marked trail - and in that case it is absolutly true you need maps.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I agree with Jack and Rock, this shows that you need to take all of the essentials with you. These people were luckly. If they had not found his pack, then this might have turned out different. If they had been carring, food, matches, light, map, compass, they would not have needed this luck to get out or get found.

A lesson for those short day hikes.

You're right... I misread the post. My apologies.

And out west, I think it's always smart to carry maps, because of the higher elevations, more varient weather, and sometimes total lack of trail markings. Or total lack of trail for that matter. I can't even count the times on the PCT when the trail just dissapeared and I had to strike out with map and compass in the direction the trail was supposed to head. Much fun.

I have hiked in the area- it is beautiful. Clear, well-marked trails in Mt. San Jacinto State Wilderness Park- IF you stay on them!

If you chose to get off trail, it's a good idea to have map and compass, and basic emergency supplies. These folks were lucky.

Images

Actually I like the sound of that. I have hiked in a few places where there is no "trail" just a corrior and I love that sort of hiking.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I agree. It was a blast. Find a few way markers, find where you think the next pass is, and head out. It a lot of fun. With even basic map skills, it's not that hard. And eventually the trail reappears.

I think that's why the CDT sounds so fun... even more map and compass work.

Images

Default missing hikers campsite saves lost hikers

what Rock and jack said is very true I got lost many times on the pct 2004 in may myself some by choice,some do to the snow and well thats why I personally like extra gear while out hiking you just never know!ky

Images

Default Very True!

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer
    I agree with Jack and Rock, this shows that you need to take all of the essentials with you. These people were luckly. If they had not found his pack, then this might have turned out different. If they had been carring, food, matches, light, map, compass, they would not have needed this luck to get out or get found.

A lesson for those short day hikes.
    I agree...I have found that I now carry all of the above, plus extra water and a tarp....even for a short 4 - 6 mile hike.
    Due to having very poor health, one never knows what may flare up and you can find yourself in trouble quickly.

I now go prepared for each hike like I was going on a 3 day hike, since I hike solo...only because no one here whats to hike
    I also call before my hike and another call after my hike, that way my family knows if they need to go out looking for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs

Yup, same one. I had posted this same article over there.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9052

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Instructive reading, especially for those who repeatedly tell others, especially
    newcomers to backpacking, that essential items, such as maps, aren't necessary on popular "well-marked" trails.
    Jack, of course, is right, despite the many who claim maps aren't necessary on the AT. Think of maps as a hiker's airbag or seat belt. I've never "needed" either. But I certainly recognize that both could save me from serious injury or worse sometime.

If anything a map is even better than such auto safety devices. Airbags and seat belts do nothing accept in that rare emergency. A map provides useful information daily. It tells you the name of distant mountains, tells you the name of the town in the valley, often discloses where that road crossing leads, and just generally keeps one informed of the trail and the surrounding country.

Those of us with any curiosity about the country through which we are walking certainly will carry maps. Those who could care less about the countryside should also -- if only for that occasional instance when maps contribute also to trail safety.

I also carry maps because part of the pleasure of backpacking is that feeling of self sufficiency -- that sense that I can cope with any problem I may encounter. Sure, with the proliferation of hikers, cell phones and hikers with cell phones that sense of independence can be avoided. But I like it anyway.
    YMMV.

Weary

Images

I, too, thought quite a bit about John Donovan last year when there was the spate of postings by his friends, telling how he had gone missing and the search. What a strange story, that lost hikers found his pack and were able to help themselves using his gear - but in its own way, it's sort of a beautiful story, too. I certainly hope that the searchers are able to use the clues provided to find his remains now and perhaps bring his family to some peace. Thank you very much for posting this. I think I'll remember it for a long time.

Jane in CT

Once in a while on the trail I've daydreamed that if I were to expire there, that I would become a shade to help wayward hikers.

Who knows ?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Yea, Independence....

One of my 'Pet Peaves' on The Trail is the guy who comes up only when he needs something that he didn't bring to avoid the weight. 'I don't need any maps, they weigh too much'....Believe me you need maps, just like Jack says, 'They Give you lot's of information'....stuff that everyone can use, no matter how much they've hiked. There's always the time that you wander off and have to figure out where you are, and how to get back....what if you need water? He, Heh....you better have yo' maps, dude. KZ@
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Default Maps

Even thought the AT is pretty well marked and you see lots of hikers, the maps
    kept us from walking down the wrong trail and miles out of our way more than once. I was really surprised that some of the hikers didn't have a map and couldn't understand it when I tried to show them mine. The map also came in very handy for finding water a couple of times and knowing how many more miles I had to go before the next water source or possible camp site. I don't know how anyone can hike without a map. The few times I didn't have one for a section I really missed it.

I did a search on trailjournals sight and found another hiker who mentioned this hiker in reference to a picture at about the time he disappeared. The hiker is
    Mini Mart -Eric White
    http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=134566

The caption to the picture taken May 5th says
    "I bypassed Fuller Ridge via Waterman Road. Others didn't including John Donovan aka Seabreeze who continued on in bad weather."
    Thursday, May 05, 2005

Sometimes it is hard to know when to give it up and take an easier route or take a break and go for some shelter.

Bees Knees

Default A word about electronics (read GPS)

My father was an air force pilot, then flew with the national guard. When he bought a boat, then a plane, both complete with electronics, he always taught me basic navigation using maps, or charts as they are called on the water or in the air. He taught me that I should never take for granted that I can see where I am or trust my life entirely on electronics. Your line of sight could be impaired by weather or electronics could fail or worse - both could fail at once. I learned how to read charts, plot courses and keep my eye on them continuously, whether he was flying me somewhere in his small plane or taking me somewhere in the boat or even on a road trip. You always want to know where you are and the same applies to being in the woods or on a trail. Bring maps, follow your progress, and know where you are - your life could depend on it. There are plenty of stories like the examples here where failure to understand this basic premise cost people their lives.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++