WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recommendation for 3 day hike in Duncannon, Pa area?

A friend is driving to Harrisburg, Pa the week after next. He has offered to drop me off on the AT on the morning of May 24 and pick me up on the evening of May 26. I'm trying to figure out a nice 3 day hike of 30-40 miles, with start and finish at road crossings. Not being familiar with the area, I am looking for recommendations. Thanks.

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Yea, Not Very Good....

Too bad that's the area you have to walk....Not very good out of Duncannon, to the North or South. North is the only way to go, though....because South of there, is nothing but 'Corn Fields'. At least north of there, you'll be on the 'Ridge Line'....Try to make it to Port Clinton....A 3-4 day walk through the famous 'PA ROCKS'....have good supportive boots....less you like sore feet....break um in good before you go or get blisters....Happy Hikin'....KZ@
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Quote Originally Posted by Kozmic Zian
    ....because South of there, is nothing but 'Corn Fields'.
    I donno. The Cumberland Valley was one of my favorite places along the trail. If you're looking for mountains, the valley isn't for you. But its not bad. Just different.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Default Go North

Get dropped off in Duncannon and hike north. You could then be pickedup at Rte 72 Swatara Gap on the other side of the St Anthony's Wilderness. Or if you want to go farther, go to Rte 501.

Shelters: Clarks Ferry, Peters Mtn., Rausch Gap, Rte 501.

It's a real nice area.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Thanks for the replies.

According to the Data Book: Duncannon to Peters Mountain Shelter is 11.3 miles, Peters Mountain Shelter to Rausch Gap Shelter is 17.5 miles, and Rausch Gap Shelter to 501 is 17.4 miles. The milage seems doable; a couple weeks ago I did 52 miles in three days. However, that was on forest trails and not the Pa rocks (which I've only heard about but never experienced).

Is the hiking much slower on the rocks?

If I want to even out the daily milage a bit, is camping allowed? If yes, are there decent places to camp or does the terrain make finding a campsite difficult?

++ New Posts ++