Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wee wee in the woods?

I usually hike away from heavy hiker trafic,but next month I'll be in the midst of peak thur-hiker trafic. When at shelter areas privies are for "solid waste" only, so how does one find privicy to urinate?
    I usually solo and have sheltered alone or with just women all but 3 times (strange I know.) At night, how far is "proper" to go away from the shelter?

El Sordo
    Images

i think that in most cases it's assumed that females can use the privies to urinate. the extra liquid is not enough to interfere seriously with the mouldering privies since women are pretty much in the minority on the trail. i know the ratio is changing, but there are still a lot more pointers then setters.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

In group camps without privies I usually get out my rain poncho before retiring. I take it with me and use it as a privacy shield while I pee. I have mobility problems and don't go too far to pee.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've never known shelter privies to be for solids only. That's news to me. If they're there, I use them.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Claudia
    ... When at shelter areas privies are for "solid waste" only, so how does one find privicy to urinate? ...
    For what it's worth, I think fewer and fewer privies are that way. I think it's safe to say that all the newer ones I've seen in the south are okay with "liquid wastes" and even need them.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will address this premise.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Most privies on the AT let girls winkle there. Boys have to bush it. Some have signs to that effect.

I just tried to get away from the trail or the shelter as much as possible. It isn't easy for a woman to find a place to pee on top of a bald, on a rocky mountain top, or before the bushes have started to grow. I have been hiking all day without seeing another hiker, but the minute I would go off to pee in the woods one would come along.
    Most of the guys are really good about respecting your privacy. If they happen to spot you doing your thing in the woods, they will quickly look away and go off in another direction. As others have said, women are not expected to go off in the woods if there is a privy. I always threw in an extra bit of leaves or bark where that was required.
    Do be careful about where you squat though, I got poison ivy on my butt and it almost ended my hike before I even go started. LOL
    BeesKnees

Generally speaking a moldering privy shouldn't be peed into.

This mostly goes for gents.

The ph of the urine inhibits the natural composting that is supposed to occur in a moldering privy. Usually there are instructions at the privy telling you this.

Okay, so in the middle of the night when I gota go (and I will, repeatedly) I'm suposed to go all the way to the privy? Come on guys, reaally?

If it's the middle of the night, and thus dark, just go a respectful distance so the scent/salt of your urine doesn't attract animals too close to the shelter.

I agree with CeeJay - generally if someone sees you heading off into the woods, or comes upon you accidentally, they will look the other way. I just try to find as big a tree (or an evergreen) as far of the path as feasible, and figure they've probably seen worse if they happen to catch a glimpse. They've probably also had someone catch them with their pants down. There just isn't that much privacy before the leaves come out.

Get a stand to pee device. I think they were originally intended for use by female pilots but they work great in the woods. I will not hike without it.

Jeez, I hate to say it..but it is just peeing. It isn't an art.
    Heck, I am Miss Modest at home, but just step off the trail, pull pants down and go. Pull pants up.
    In camp, wander a few yards from your tent and go. It is dark-no one is going to see you

As for privies...why would you need one for peeing? It isn't good for privies to fill up with urine. It slows down the decomposing, and fills it up faster. Out here in the west you are encouraged to not pee in privies-especially in open air ones in alpine zones. And to pee on rocks or bare soil, so that mt goats and deer don't munch on it

Once you train yourself, you can almost stand and pee as a female-you just need to get your legs apart and stick your butt out. It doesn't take longer than 30 seconds. If you modest, then have a friend keep an eye out for other hikers.

Even on busy sections of the PCT out here, one can find privacy
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

At night it usually is not a problem. I usually go the distance (which varies according to each site/shelter) mainly so I am not within hearing range of anyone!
    During the day if one does not wear underwear and wears a hiking skirt or type of kilt or lava lava/sarong whatever. It is so easy. You are not exposed at all
    Life's too short not to have Credit Card bills...so Charge It!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by joel137
    Generally speaking a moldering privy shouldn't be peed into.

This mostly goes for gents.

The ph of the urine inhibits the natural composting that is supposed to occur in a moldering privy. Usually there are instructions at the privy telling you this.
    This is all new to me. I thought privies were for doing your business. Must be in places on the AT I've yet to see. In Virginia, there aren't any such instructions anywhere.

Hiking Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
    In group camps without privies I usually get out my rain poncho before retiring. I take it with me and use it as a privacy shield while I pee. I have mobility problems and don't go too far to pee.
    you comment about having mobility problems cought my eye
    I am a disabled person think about hiking the AT
    would like to find out how you get along on the trail as far as like how far you can go a day and what kind of problems you have come across on the trail having the mobility problem

thanks in advanced for sharing with me
    Yo - Yo

Quote Originally Posted by Trajack
    Get a stand to pee device. I think they were originally intended for use by female pilots but they work great in the woods. I will not hike without it.
    where would you get one of those
    that sounds like a great idea
    Yo - Yo

Images

This is a link to the disposable variety of a device that allows you to pee standing.

I'm about to commit TMI. I have had to act as an arial photographer a few times. I used a plastic funnel with a hose to pee down the drain the male pilot would normally use (fear not - it evaporates completely before getting anywhere near the ground). I would think the slanted funnels (a second model) available in auto supply places would be a reasonably light-weight, permanent alternative to the disposable variety. It's a great idea and I will be buying a funnel today to try out.

YoYo, I'm going to start another thread about hiking with disabilities in the general forum. This is the female forum and some of the guys with disabilities don't read or post here out of respect for us ladies' privacy

Journal Entries
    Images

I've used something called Freshette. Campmor sells it. Except I lost the tube part in the fog one night, so have to get another one. Sigh.

Hiking Blog

Default Ammonia

Found in Pee, ammonia kills the bugs that eat the poop. Simple.

Please don't pee in privies.

That said, I think that as long as you're far enough from the main trails in the camping area (or off the AT, out of sight), you're safe.

Your TP can be disposed of in a privy later. Please don't leave it on the ground, no matter how far from a trail. Zip lock it for future disposal.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

APPALACHIAN TRAIL CONFERENCE - Backcountry Sanitation Manual
    Page 46 to the end discusses the backcountry privies and mentions the new designs being able to handle urine. Is this correct? It says earthworms are the composing wizards at these privies and bacteria in the soil will handle urine. The privies are designed to separate solid from liquid waste according to this manual.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 05-16-2006 at 22:59.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++