Hello to all of the class of 07. I would like to introduce my-self and my son. My name is Shane Flanagan I'm 35 and my son is Tyler and he is 13. We live in Mammoth Lakes, Ca. were the family (wife Tracy and daughter Courtney) snowboard in the winter. We are originaly from Atlanta and we spent several years in Maggie Valley, N.C. which is right outside the A.T. in the Smokies.
I've been wanting to hike the A.T. since the early 90's and I've been doing the southern half of the A.T in sections every since. I introduced my family to the A.T when Courtney was 4 and Tyler was 3 and we have all been in love with the trail every since. I was really hoping to be able to hike the trail with my whole family but that's just not possible right now. Courtney starts high school next year and school is very important to her so she's out for now which means so is Tracy. But Tyler is willing and ready so I figured 07' would be a great time to make it happen. I've been ready since I first made my first steps on the A.T. but the timing has never been right. This year would have been good but Tyler is a pro snowboarder and he is filming a snowboard video part for Volcom Clothing and he has to finish up his part. So the whole family will be hiking the J.M.T in August.
My reasons for wanting to hike the A.T are simple...I love backpacking and I hate stupid people. And it seems that todays society is full of idiots. My motivation for wanting to hike the A.T is not to escape these people but to be around people who are more like my-self. Because I know that after my trip on the A.T. I must return and cope with today's society. My love for the A.T. runs very deep and it's been my dream for a long time and now my dream is going to come true. For Tyler he loves hiking and he's always enjoyed the A.T. as much as I do. He and I have always talked about hiking the A.T. and now in 07' it's going to happen. This should be a great father-son adventure.
Happy Trails to all.