WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sugarloaf Summit Hut

Anybody have any information on the hut on the summit of Sugarloaf? Is it worth the side trip off the trail? Do you have to climb a ladder to get up to it? (I will have a dog with me...)

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Grimmy

I'm pretty sure that a dog can get up the summit trail to Sugarloaf. It's a very steep .06 side trail on a tough hike out of Stratton over the Crockers. I didn't stop by but it has a working radio and microwave and last year at least, it had a working phone that you could dial long distance out of. Some people could get it to work at times, others couldn't. It's got a great view. Check out the WB review here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2305

Also, a bunch of SOBOs and a few NOBOs ended up watching the fireworks on July 4th from the "Sugar Shack", as it's known. Several of the surrounding towns have fireworks that night.

On my NOBO section hike of Maine last year, I stayed there on a stormy night in late August. Nice and dry inside. The phone line didn't work but the electrical outlets were functioning, allowing some guys to play a radio. My cell phone worked there - the only time it did so in all of Maine (on the At, that is).

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

I feel the view alone of the Bigelows, Crockers & Abraham from the Sugarloaf summit is worth the trek up the spur trail. The summit shelter "The Sugar Shack" is icing on the cake. By the way: The spur is .6 mile and covers an ascent of 600 feet in elevation gain. It took me 30 minutes to ascend and 15 minutes to descend.
    Aaron

Default 4000'er

Bagging Sugarloaf gets another one of the Maine 4000 footers off your list.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/sun.gif

In fact, most of the Maine 4000's are either on the AT, or a short side hike off the AT in Maine.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

we stayed at the hut on our thru and it was a blast. great view and worth the hike up. we had a huge thunderstorm come through that night and it was fun to watch from the confines of a glass enclosed bldg. the roof leaks pretty bad though.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

stayed there w/ my dog in '03, should have no problem.....one of my favorite places on the trail for sure.

Images

I stayed there through a thunderstorm also (with a group), and there must have been 10 Thru's staying there that night as well. The next morning after the cold front came through, the view was simply incredible. Well worth the trip! Stay there and then push onward to the Bigelow Col-shelter, another beautiful view.

Brian

Default Availability in November?

Anyone know if the Sugarloaf summit house is available to hikers during the first 2 weeks of November? Is that timeframe between seasons or has skiing started? Can hikers stay there if ski season is operational?

Thank you all for the last minute advice. I am starting my section hike Thursday (from Baxter to Rangley). I will definitely make a point of staying there!

Sugarloaf ski season opens around Turkey day but people stay over year round at the summit building. Impressive panaroma!!!! weather permitting.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy
    Sugarloaf ski season opens around Turkey day but people stay over year round at the summit building. Impressive panaroma!!!! weather permitting.
    I agreee, we stayed there on a perfect night.

Images

Default sugar shack in january

I was planning a section hike from Rangley to Stratton over the New Year weekend and I called up the people there on Sugarloaf. I wanted to stay the night up there on my way thru. Strangley enough nobody that I talked to had ever heard of hikers staying up there over-night!?

Thanks to some nasty weather atop Saddleback, I never made it to Sugarloaf, so I still dont know if youre permitted to stay at the sugarshack during ski season.

If anyone knows I would sure like to know either way. PEACE
    skinny d

Images

I stayed up there this past summer during the worst storm I had ever seen. We got a late start out of stratton due to some rain. The radar that morning looked like hell on earth in the Whites, everything yellow and a nice big splotch of red. I sure was glad to be there instead of the shelter a couple of miles south. I finally got a decent view out in the morning and it was pretty nice. If I was up there again this would be something I would plan into my trip.

The doors have always been open year round but when lifts are running to the top you should be up and at em in the morning before the skiers and ski patrol arrive - 8-9 a.m. Don't hold me to it but this is the way it's been for a long time. That's quite a trek(kick ass) across there from skidaddleback to Sugarloaf in winter now, LOL; been there, dun that one , Arrrrrgh!
    WALK ON

++ New Posts ++