WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Companion vs. Databook.

Hello,

I've been LuRkIng for a while and want to thank everyone for the great advice. I plan on SOBO July 3rd and this website is priceless. I have an honest question though. I purchased the "Thru-hikers companion" and the "data book" for 2006. It seems as though the "companion" has the same information as the "databook" with added maps and information. Should I bring both books or will the companion be enough? Should I invest in "wingfoot's" book?

Thanks for your time.

Larry
    (goatmilk)

You can get away with making photocopies or ripping out each relevant section from the Companion and the Data Book. If those are the only two books, I would grab both because the Companion has info about all the shelters and towns on the trail, invaluable information, while the Data Book has locations of water, which is really important, especially down south if you're going SOBO because it gets very dry late in the season.

I went with the Companion and Data Book but ditched it halfway through my hike and constantly stole glances at my group's copy of Wingfoot. It's got everything the Companion and Data Book have so I felt it was a pretty easy resource to use. If I did it again i'd just grab the Wingfoot.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Is wingfoot's guide written in wouth to north format? I have the handbook and like it, but I do not want to read in reverse for 6 months.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer
    Is wingfoot's guide written in wouth to north format? I have the handbook and like it, but I do not want to read in reverse for 6 months.
    Yes. South to North format with reverse mileages in the margin.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

We carried only Wingfoot's guide last year, and found most others did too. We had ordered the Companion to bring along as well, but in the end decided that Wingfoot's guide just seemed more practical with the landmarks, water sources, etc that it offered. Not that it was always 100% correct, but hey, what is?! :-) I would recommend Wingfoot, definitely. If you're going N->S, his book lists mileage going both ways, but you'll have to start at the end and read forward...
    Good luck!
    -Sparkplug

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the great replies. I'm going to invest in Wingfoots book. I like the fact that it contains landmarks. Thanks for the clarification on the orientation of the book. At least I'll have three books to use for planning and I'll bring wingfoot's.

goatmilk

You can get the Companion on line at http://www.aldha.org/companyn/
    Print out what you need when you need it.

By only carrying the data book, you will have a more spontaneous trip and be more apt to discover things that other hikers don't get the chance to because they follow the book (companion and wingfoot's) .
    If you are a follower, then get all the books. (keep in mind that the companion is from a non-profit organization.
    If you would like some surprises along the way, just carry the data book. It will suffice.

Does anybody remember the old "Philosphers Guide"?

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead
    By only carrying the data book, you will have a more spontaneous trip and be more apt to discover things that other hikers don't get the chance to because they follow the book (companion and wingfoot's) .
    i like your idea of a more spontaneous trip. however, without the resources I may miss important landmarks or interesting tid bits.

If you are a follower, then get all the books. (keep in mind that the companion is from a non-profit organization.
    If you would like some surprises along the way, just carry the data book. It will suffice.
    Aren't we all followers (white, blue, yellow blazes)? Maybe just different degrees. I don't want every step planned but I do need to know the location of potable water, shelters for emergency, and towns. The databook is good for this. However, it is also nice to get a general sense of the area in terms of interesting landmarks located in the vacinity. The companion may be good for this.

you make a good point and I will use the books for planning. I'm going to bring the databook and wingfoot's book and if I decide to ditch wingfoot then that will get dropped in a hiker box or sent home.

In the new expanded format, the 2006 ALDHA Thru-hikers Companion has basically the same exact data (mileages, water, roads, campsites, side trails, landmarks, shelters ect) as Wingfoot's book and the Databook, along with town info and trail tidbits.

I'd also like to point out the Companion has mileages both to and from Springer and Katahdin, same as WF's. The trail, shelter and town info for both books read south to north. Neither are guidebooks, per se, with actual trail descriptions for navigating.

Images

love your name

Does anybody remember the old "Philosphers Guide"?
    I still have my '89 & '90 books. Remember the "Beer Drinker's and Ice Cream Eater's guide to the A.T."?
    Important to remember:
    The Companion is written by hikers who visit the service providers and hike their trail sections each year. The proceeds from the Companion support the Appalachian Trail and the A.T.C.
    Interesting tid-bit time: The Companion has had a spiral binding because that's what hikers originally asked for. The shape fit nicely into the outside pocket on your external frame pack, too. Times change: The '07 Companion will return in book form, because that's what hikers have now asked for.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barrel Roll
    You can get away with making photocopies or ripping out each relevant section from the Companion and the Data Book. If those are the only two books, I would grab both because the Companion has info about all the shelters and towns on the trail, invaluable information, while the Data Book has locations of water, which is really important, especially down south if you're going SOBO because it gets very dry late in the season.

I went with the Companion and Data Book but ditched it halfway through my hike and constantly stole glances at my group's copy of Wingfoot. It's got everything the Companion and Data Book have so I felt it was a pretty easy resource to use. If I did it again i'd just grab the Wingfoot.
    As would I.

Weary

Hello all i was wondering where to get wingfoots guide. does anyone have a web site that could help? thanks

Try www.trailplace.com and you can order it direct. Also, any good Outfitter near the Trail will carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    As would I.

Weary
    Like leading a horse to water, you can tell them that the new ALDHA Companion is virtually identical to WF's, that the procedes go to the trail, that it's free online, but you can't make them...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    Like leading a horse to water, you can tell them that the new ALDHA Companion is virtually identical to WF's, that the procedes go to the trail, that it's free online, but you can't make them...
    My comment was based on the books I have seen, which as yet doesn't include the latest Companion. I'll download the Companion one of these days.

However, Wingfoot over the years has done good work on behalf of the trail, also. I thought his position on the Saddleback controversy of a few years ago was far more responsible than was the position of the Appalachian Trail Conference. The conference entered the battle by essentially surrendering the responsible trail position.

Had the conference, and trail forums and lists followed the lead of Wingfoot the trail over Saddleback would be protected now. I still get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I remember how the good of the trail was sacrificed to petty jealousies.

Weary

Didn't Wingfoot sue the ATC for big money? I heard that somewhere but don't know if it's true.
    Wingfoot helped me out on my hike in '95 but then he kicked me off of his website forum because i didn't agree with him.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++