WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Short Hikes in the NE Area

I live in RI and was wondering if anyone could recommend any nearby areas for backpacking maybe 10-30 miles of a trail.

I'm heading up to Maine this weekend and I think we're going to try a section of the Bigelow Mountain area. I have done a 17 mile section through Carry Ponds in Maine and that was beautiful.

I'm hoping to find some areas closer by (CT, MA, NH) to spend a few long weekends this summer.

Any suggestions appreciated - thanks!

Images

Crawford Notch, NH. You can hike up MT Willey from the Willey House...very steep at the end with great views of the Webster Cliffs and the Presidentials (One day round trip, it'll kick your bootie)....or...go east a few miles to the Dry River Campground and hike on up to MT. Washington, a 2 or 3 day round trip. Those are just 2 of my favorites. I'm sure everybody here can give you lots of suggestions. Everybody who loves the AT should visit the Presidentials in the Whites.

Default Views from the top

If you are looking for information about hiking and backpacking in the Northeast, then check out Views From The Top.

Other than that, buy the White Mountains Guide, the Connecticut Walk Book, and the Massachusetts Trail Guide. Lots of great places to hike and backpack in the area. To narrow down your list, look at the 50 hikes series of books.

Geezer

Have you considered doing a long trail near you? There are a few.

RI's North south trail runs from Charlestown to Pascoag (actually into Douglas MA)

The Mid-State Trail continues from Douglas to the NH border (where the Wapack trail continues)

Both the N-S and Mid-state trails have published guidebooks with info about camping

Also, right in Cumberland is the start (or end) of the Warner Trail, which runs from Diamond Hill to Sharon MA. No real guidebook to this, but I have some info on the trail. PM me if interested.
    Frosty

Baldface Circle Trail in NH White Mtns near ME border. Do it in August. Blueberries, views, swimming hole, relatively few people. A lesser known gem.

Images

Since you're in RI, the eastern half of CT is easily accessible to you, and the Connecticut Forest & Parks Association has just come out with a fabulous new edition of the "Connecticut Walks" book for that half of the state. It covers CT's many, many miles of blue-blazed trails and has some truly interesting hikes in it. Any outfitter in the region, and probably most of the bookstores too, should carry it. There will be so much in that book, it will take you years to explore it all!

Jane in CT

++ New Posts ++