WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking GA/NC border to NC/TENN border

Hello everyone I will be hiking the section of the AT from Dicks Creek Gap GA to Clingman's Dome NC/TN. I was wondering if there is anyone that can help me out with some information on the terrain of that section and since the hike is planned for the 21st of August to the 19th of September 2006 I was also needing any information you might be able to provide about the weather and temps that you experienced while hiking the section at that time. So if there is anyone that has hiked this section at this time of the year please let me know what to expect. Thanks for all the information
    Venerable Retsuzen Shikata
    Hiker, Writer, Ordained Shikata Zen Priest
    "The fight that is won in the fight not fought"
    http://www.examiner.com/appalachian-trail-hiking-in-national/merlyn-seeley

Retsuzen, I am planning on section hiking GA at the beginning of September too. You may like to visit my website which has data for the whole of Georgia AT on it.

If you are a Ninjutsu instructor, I think you have set yourself some very short hiking days if you're planning 3 weeks to hike GA. An inexperenced hiker should be able to manage a minimum of 6 mile days through the GA section.
    ---
    THE Databook @ www.hikerbox.net
    (Thru-Hiker Electronic Online Databook)

Snowman
    GAME-05

Images

That's about a 4 mile per day average over 30 days. If you started from the Amicalola approach trail and hiked all the way to Clingman's Dome over 30 days, it would make your average daily mileage would be just shy of 7 miles per day.

4 miles per day would definitely give one the ability to take as much time to stop and smell the roses (or the rhododendron as the case may be).
    And tho our health we drank a thousand times, it's time to ramble on...

Quote Originally Posted by Retsuzen
    Hello everyone I will be hiking the section of the AT from Dicks Creek Gap GA to Clingman's Dome NC/TN. I was wondering if there is anyone that can help me out with some information on the terrain of that section and since the hike is planned for the 21st of August to the 19th of September 2006 I was also needing any information you might be able to provide about the weather and temps that you experienced while hiking the section at that time. So if there is anyone that has hiked this section at this time of the year please let me know what to expect. Thanks for all the information
    Click on this linkhttp://appalachiantrailservices.com/...ex:m17-1-1-1-s then click on crossing desired and then click on bulletins.It will have a daily updated weather forecast linked to weather.com for thet area.If we can help you wirh anything around our area [email protected] or 828-524-4403 Haven's Budget Inn

Snowman ,I am not hiking the GA part in Aug. I did that last year. Dicks Creek Gap is almost the very end of the GA section. Its where we left off last year, that is only a few miles shy of the NC/GA border. So I am needing info on the NC temps and terrain. Also am not to sure what you meant by:
    If you are a Ninjutsu instructor, I think you have set yourself some very short hiking days if you're planning 3 weeks to hike GA. An inexperenced hiker should be able to manage a minimum of 6 mile days through the GA section.
    Because we took 30 complete days to hike GA. and did start at the approach. We only did 4-5 miles a day and we usually took 2 sometimes 3 zero days a week. So I mean we really took it very slow. Its a fact that the GA section takes slightly experienced hikers only 2 weeks to hike, its only about 78 miles. We hike the trail every year as part of a small family style group and we only hike 30 days. How far that takes us varies but usually 75 miles at least, we enjoy the trail entirely and donot hike to finish the trail or even the section. To us the trail is another world where we could remain forever. But I am straying off the subject, sorry, I just am needing terrain and temperature information so that I know what I am getting my newest hiker into, my 6 yo daughter. :-) Thanks Tiamalle I am going to check out the site now.

Images

All kinds of terrain. Trail is well maintained with some easy walking in most parts. What can I say, there are easy grades and steep grades, great hiking in the Nantahalas. The weather? It could be cool in late August on the peaks. Be prepared for some nights in the 40's in late August/September. You never know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by snowman2005
    Retsuzen, I am planning on section hiking GA at the beginning of September too.
    So you're coming back! Wow, just can't get away from the AT....can we?! Say hi to Icicle.

Thanks Gray Blazer, I guess I knew that, lol But I guess what I am looking for is a compare to the GA section, since last year I hiked the GA section and just like most say, It was a pretty rough trail. Only one area that I know of where we actually was able to just "walk", the whole day even. Nights in the 40's thanks, thats what I needed to know, because we are going about August 21st so yea it will be late August. Have you actually hiked that section in that time frame? Anyone else can help with experiences please do so.

Images

you are going to sweat your a.... off. It will be very nice at night but it will be hot in the day. Watch out for the section from n.o.c. to fontana. You have to stay at plumb orchard gap the first night very nice shelter.

Images

I've hiked a lot of that section. What I'm saying is you could possibly have nights in the 40's (on some of the peaks). Be prepared. I did the Smokies and Max Patch area right after 911 and it was beautiful. A cold front had passd and it was so clear, plus, with no planes flying there were no jet sounds or contrails. That definitely added to the wilderness experience.
    I do know that on September 25, 1780 there was a snowstorm at Yellow Mountain Gap (there is a sign there that tells all about it). That's several miles to the east, but it's still in NC and the weather is much the same all up and down the NC AT. I spent a cold night on Big Hump late one August. It might not get in the 40's or it could get in the 30's. It will definitely be in the 50's so as I said before, be prepared.

You might also want to stay up with NOAA weather long range tracking of tropical systems, as the landfalling hurricanes, or even tropical storms, have a way of wringing themselves out over the NC mountains in late August-early September. Stunning amounts of water and wind the last couple of years.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ANHINGA
    You might also want to stay up with NOAA weather long range tracking of tropical systems, as the landfalling hurricanes, or even tropical storms, have a way of wringing themselves out over the NC mountains in late August-early September. Stunning amounts of water and wind the last couple of years.
    Definitely something to be considered. It's no fun when trees are falling all around you!

You know what this is all good info thanks, yea trees falling Ive been apart of, there was a tornadoe that actually passed within half a mile of Hawk Mtn Shelter last year. We were there and the tornadoe was seen over springer first then near us. But it went alright. Thanks for all the good information, the temps in the night seem to be around the 40's which is actually good sleeping weather, lol. So the days will be warmer huh, alright I will definetely keep this in mind and prepare for warmer than I am used to days and nights in the 40's while making sure to monitor the tropics and bring rain gear including a large tent tarp as we did last year for the snow storms we encountered. The terrain from NOC to Fontana whats that about?? Also can someone please tell me what is the town or area called where stecoah gap is at??

Images

Retsuzen,

I have hiked this section a number of times. Actually so many times I couldn't even count them if I had to. I love this section and I'm sure you and your family will also. I will give you a little info but not to much so to take away the adventure. Your first night will be spent at the Plum Orchard Gap shelter which is 4 miles or so from Dicks Creek Gap. No play by play here...you will have several up's and downs over your 30 day hike. Here are just a few for you...hike out of Bly Gap(you can also camp here with water),Standing Indian Mtn.(although not that bad), quarter mile climb up Albert Mtn., Winding Stair, Siler Bald, Wayah Bald, Copper Ridge Bald(nice lookout on clear days),Wesser Bald,more up's and down's. From the NOC to Fontana is about 28 miles or so...the climb out of NOC to Cheoah Bald is pretty steep and about 8 miles. You are going to have to pull about 7 miles on that day cause there is not any water till you get to Sassafras Gap Shelter which is a mile or so before you reach Cheoah Bald. From Cheoah Bald you drop a couple thousand feet in elevation with the obvious ups and downs and then down to Stecoah Gap. There is no town at Stecoah you would have to hitch a ride into Robbisnville(sp) about 7 or 8 miles I'm guessing. It's a small town but it will have everything you need to re-supply with. I've never used the town because the traffic on that road is pretty slow on most days. But I've known people who have hitched the ride and had no problem getting to town and back to the trail. Someone help me out here if you've done this hitch before. From Stecoah Gap to Fontana you will have the normal up's and downs.
    I will leave the Smokies alone...all I have to say is hope for clear days cause the views are some of the best in the south. I will tell you this, get a good nights sleep before you enter the smokies.
    I hope this info helped you out. I can give you more info on camping spots if you need...but it's fun to figure that stuff out on your own.
    -as far as weather goes it could go both ways. In most years the time you are going would be perfect (warm-hot daytime and cool-chilly at night) but the past two years it has stormed around that time. Be prepared for rain, heat, and cool night's around the 40's.
    Have fun and enjoy this section.

mtnbums

WOW good information there mtnbums, its good to hear the time is a good time to go. This is actually the third attempt to go to the trail this year, and if we cannot make it this time we will wait till next year around April. So it seems this section is a very nice place, a few people have suggested to stay at Plum orchard Gap shelter so I will be sure to at least stop in for a visit, we dont use the shelters since theres alot to not like, such as 20 degrees colder, windy, hard unconfortable surfaces, rats and the lack of privacy for private folks like us. But we do camp at or near the shelters for convience WHEN WE CAN. So thanks for that, the terrain sounds alot like what I would describe the GA section like, but a few have said its better than the GA section so I will take yours and others word. Nights sound pretty comfortable and the days I will surely be prepared for at the most hot days and least warm days. Good to know theres no really cold nights or days, thats what I was watching out for. Thanks for everything, everyone, mtnbums you helped alot too a whole lot thanks!

++ New Posts ++