WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default "The Only Wanderer" is in the hospital

Larry Riddle, a.k.a. The Only Wanderer, was admitted to Johnston Memorial Hospital today in Abingdon , Va. He has some ongoing medical problems that need attention. He has some clots in his lower legs and some cancerous growths around his lungs. He would really like some phone calls if y'all could spare a couple of minutes. He'll be there at least 5 days or maybe a few weeks. I'll go see him tomorrow and get more scoop. He's in room 317 and can be called directly at 276-676-9317. Thanks

Images

I know he's glad to have a friend like you. Sounds like he's got some serious health issues. It's kinda late to call now. I'll be thinking about him and praying for him.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Prayers going up and a phone call at a more decent hour. LWolf, thanks for letting us know.

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

My prays to him and his.
    You are in heaven.

Thanx for the post LW. Wanderer and I became friends when he was living at his folks place over in Chetopa KS.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Just got off the phone with Larry, The Only Wanderer. What a blessing - talking with him was such a joy. I know first hand how hard it is to lay in a hospital bed when you want to be on the trail. Hearing from other hikers makes much easier to bear. Why not take a few minutes and give The Only Wanderer a call?

He will be leaving the hospital soon to go to skilled nursing / rehabilitative type place in Abington, VA. This isn't a nursing home, but will give him access to the on-going medical care he still needs. I'm sure he would love to have visits from hikers passing thru the area on vacation and section hikes.

Images

Sorry I didn't read this thread befor I started one under the general forum. Just spoke to Larry "the Only Wanderer" and he told me that he would be moving to Abingdon Manor either tomorrow or Friday. Lone Wolf will be driving him there. God bless you Lone Wolf.

Images

I spoke to Larry today.

He's in a good mood, and instead of feeling sorry for himself, just wanted to talk about recent articles and trail-related stuff.
    Just hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have also been in contact with Larry from the first day and called him again today and he did not say it but I could tell they he was surprised by the calls he got from WhiteBlaze users. It is amazing how we can pull together to help out an individual when he is in need. As Preacher Dude said Larry is suppose to be moving tomorrow. So I don't know what time and how much longer he will be at the phone number posted above.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Just spoke to Larry, he very much appreciates those who have called him. He seems to be in good spirits and holds a positive attitude, way to go!

He has inquired about getting on line for a short time, I hope this works out for him.

Consider giving him a call just to say "Hi" - friendly words are always healing ;-)
    ad astra per aspera

Journal Entries
    Images

hey everybody! here i is! the nurses pulled some strings for me and let me use this real fast, got to get off here soon............i'll be going to get a head and neck scan this after noon............they'll find nothing at all in the brain area i tell you............i very much am grateful for all the phone calls i have recievd, thankyou all vey much.............i'll be transferred to the abingdon manor tomorrow................."the only wanderer"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer
    hey everybody! here i is! the nurses pulled some strings for me and let me use this real fast, got to get off here soon............i'll be going to get a head and neck scan this after noon............they'll find nothing at all in the brain area i tell you............i very much am grateful for all the phone calls i have recievd, thankyou all vey much.............i'll be transferred to the abingdon manor tomorrow................."the only wanderer"
    hang in there dude! you'll be in thoughts and prayers.

Just back from visiting Larry. His spirits are good considering. They're moving him out tomorrow to an adult care facility for about a month.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Just back from visiting Larry. His spirits are good considering. They're moving him out tomorrow to an adult care facility for about a month.
    A MONTH? Whew! LW--Anything special we can we can do for him?

Will you be able to give us an address soon?

Thanks!
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

By Saturday I should have a phone # and address to send him cards and such. He really just needs to hear from folks.

only wanderer,

hope you're feeling better soon. hang in there.

Journal Entries
    Images

here i is again, will be transferred to the abingdon manor today sometime.........wolf was here to take me but had to go so local is on his way..........i am told i will be there for at least a year, but i hope not.............my blood tested positive for cancer, a test which is called a lupis anti coagulant came back positive.........my head and neck scans came back negative and like i said in my previous post they found nothing but rock solid bone where my brains were suppose to be........my thanks go out to frolicking dinosaurs, frank looper, gray blazer, smiles, local, lone wolf, nightwalker, local and a few others who have called me........as soon as i get the info on a phone and address i will post it.............i as well as everyone on this planet are going to die some day, when we die and the way we die is none of our business but i have confidence that i am going to live a bit longer...........i am of a firm belief that there is a God and i am not him........i trust he has a plan and i believe that he is going to heal me from this......i am so very grateful for the true friends that i have in my life.......i am very honored to be a part of this hiking community............"the only wanderer"

It was nice meeting you at Trail Days The Only Wanderer. Hope you get well soon!

Images

Keep on Keepin on Brother! "them ther' Trails go on forever" !
    Get WELL and we'll see ya out there hopefully soon!May be down in that neck of the woods in late june or early july and will stop in ,I will call once you get settled this weekend.
    Take care & good luck!
    Fishinfred
    FISHINFRED

MY STUFF

MY STUFF ON EBAY

Journal Entries
    Images

here i am again, don't look like i am going to get settled at the manor.....i am in damascus right now at the place.........i went to the manor but after being there for a couple of hours i just wanted to get out of there, the place just was not clean and pretty run down.........i may have made a bad choice but i do have the option of going back there and may have to......i'm going to have to get set up with a place to stay and a job that i am able to do, so if there are any ideas i am open to listen.........i don't have much money and i own nothing but my pack and me.........wow, the truth, what a concept............

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++