WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Default Hiking pet peeves

This may best be placed in the sensitive trail subject area, but I wanted a wider scope of opinions for a project of mine. I am putting together a do's and don't of trail etiquette pamphlet for a friend of mine. Subjects DO NOT have to be about ppl or ppl-related, they can be about anything that irks you, like tp stuck to the bottom of your trail shoe, for example.

So having said that, please be as kind as possible, do not mention names, and don't overdo it.

Mine are simple: gearheads who put down other people's equipment ( I almost knocked this dude out last year ) or who believe their system/way/philosophy is best, and ultralighters who ultralight by grubbing off of others ( bring your own food, and no, you may not sleep in my tent and I aint leaving the shelter just because I have one ).
    Biggest of all, dogs in the shelters. I own three dogs, two cats, and a tarantula. You bring your dog in, I bring the tarantula.

I am looking forward to the posts here.

I leave in less than 10 days, and can hardly freaking sleep I'm so psyched. This will probably be the last hike of my life, so I hope all goes well. Hope to run into all of you, but if not, it's been a pleasure reading y'alls posts and remember, it's the journey, not the destination that matters.
    Chuck
    You are in heaven.

Images
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Default hiking pet peeves

how much does your gear weigh?I reallly dislike folks who ask me that every day!or man thats old gear you hike with!so what it works!or another good one I dont see how you can hike so many miles and smoke!whats it to you!or better is the people who give you the your crazy look because you hike your own hike,I get tired of hiking on the trail all the time sometimes I like to blue blaze and check other things out I say ,they say well your not hiking the trail!so what! its my hike I am walking regardless.you can go on!and on!and on!same o!same o!ky

people that think you post on a forum is horsesh-- because he cannot understand an adjective and a noun together.
    Semper Fi and 73's,

G. L. Cooper
    K0OPG (Amateur Extra)
    Mountains of WV

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Had a blood vessel go *pop* on the subarachnoidal layer of me cranium. Hasn't made me any different, or crazier than ever, but it wasn't found in time to really "repair it". So, gotta 5%/yr chance of a fatal one reoccurring. Actually, the initial instance is fatal 40% of the time. To lead a longer life I have to: "stop smoking ( could do ), lose 10 lbs ( ok ), change my diet ( sure ), lower my stress level ( kinda hard, will try ), and no strenuous activity like hiking, rafting, camping, fishing, bowling, biking..." Did you say you were gonna amputate a leg and castrate me? I could give up sex ( yep, that too ), egads, faster than give up all the other things I love. And what, sit around the house trying not to be stressful and watch the salt on my pizza and never look at the most beautiful woman in the world? F--- that. I spent nine years in Colombia at a small, secret and highly effective military base back during the height of the drug war. I took the assignment because I love the outdoors. I feel ... well.... at home. So my choice is to live as I have lived and when the thing breaks, it breaks. So, hence, this trip. No offense to any, but I have always considered the AT a little on the easy side, so have never thruhiked it. But now, it may be just right.

Please, no comments about this here. This thread is for my etiquette project that may ( crossed fingers ) be included in a later edition of a famous trail handbook. I've been asked about it before on this site via email, and have responded when I felt it was appropriate. So, if you are the type ( I am ) that feels they have to say something, just email me. Address is in my bio.
    Thanks, Chuck.
    You are in heaven.

Images

Hiking Peeves:

-Uncontrolled/impolite dogs (both 4 legged and 2 legged).
    -Loud anything (except thunder... love that.)
    -Cell phones used for loud "guess where i am, dude" or similar calls.
    -Horse and bike riders who assume they have the right of way.
    -That annoying whine a biker makes when he lands several yards down the trail after i stuck my hiking staff through his front wheel for being rude (just kidding... i've never actually done this. have fantasized it several times).
    -Toilet paper from those too lazy to dig a cathole.
    -People cooking on the sleeping platform of a shelter.
    -Early risers and latecomers who make too much noise.
    -People who insist on talking to you, or who are overly aggressive in their belief that their hiking system is the best one.
    -Religious and political extremism, shared with others who don't want to hear it.
    -Garbage left on the trail.
    -Having to explain the above to my kids.

Hiking Likes (gotta have some positive to cancel the negative):

-Coming in to a shelter after a long rainy day and having a stranger help you take off your pack and offer you some hot water and cocoa mix he's just brewed up for himself.
    -Seeing parents teach their children respect for nature, others, and themselves.
    -Watching a well-trained horse or dog put through its paces by a rider or handler who knows what (s)he's doing.
    -An old guy willing to sharing his 'secret', when you see him unpack the tiniest alcohol stove, small bottle, and pot you've ever seen, and watch in wonder as he turns it into a hot meal for himself.
    -A pot smoker who offers to share, but respectfully accepts your declining of his offer, and then has the decency to make sure he doesn't blow his smoke near you for the rest of the evening (which turned out to be pretty enjoyable) since he knows you can't stand the smell.
    -Running into the countless decent, respectful hikers i've met over the years, and the fascinating conversations they've provided in the evenings.
    -The day hiker who doesn't look at you like you're from Mars when you ask "what day is it" after a week out.

Images

Hiking Peeves:

-Uncontrolled/impolite dogs (both 4 legged and 2 legged).
    Climbing Tray Mt. dog barked at EVERY hiker, for about 5 minutes before contact to 3 or 4 after. So, near constant barking. Owner didn't correct once while I could see, I made a rude comment, she stopped smiling, still didn't correct the damn dog. Not dog's fault BTW.

-Loud anything (except thunder... love that.) Amen, Love thunder, can't stand other loud noises.

-Cell phones used for loud "guess where i am, dude" or similar calls.
    "can I borrow your phone? OOPS, um, I was,,,,swatting at a bee,,, and it,,,, slipped, yea, slipped, that's it. I didn't know they would shatter so easily." Never done it, can dream can't I?

-Horse and bike riders who assume they have the right of way.
    Have done this: I REFUSE to move if on a "footpath ONLY" section.

-That annoying whine a biker makes when he lands several yards down the trail after i stuck my hiking staff through his front wheel for being rude (just kidding... i've never actually done this. have fantasized it several times).
    The stuff dreams are made of.

-Toilet paper from those too lazy to dig a cathole.
    I so want to put it in their packs, but have yet to catch anyone "In the act"

-People cooking on the sleeping platform of a shelter.
    Right next to my higly flammable sleeping bag no less. Reason #3 for not staying in a shelter.

-Early risers and latecomers who make too much noise.
    Reason #4 for no shelters.

-People who insist on talking to you, or who are overly aggressive in their belief that their hiking system is the best one.
    Most people do a mental "checklist" of when to talk that consists of about 3 questions: 1) Do I want to talk? 2) can the person I want to talk to hear me? 3) can they listen to me / do they want to hear what I am saying. Many people only check #1. I have askend nicely that they stop talking. if not, I not so nicely say "Shut up!" or I walk away. #2 reason for no shelter stays.

-Religious and political extremism, shared with others who don't want to hear it. also in #2 reason for no shelter stays.

-Garbage left on the trail.
    I try to pick up what I can, but,,,

-Having to explain the above to my kids.
    Thanks for doing so

Hiking Likes (gotta have some positive to cancel the negative):

-Coming in to a shelter after a long rainy day and having a stranger help you take off your pack and offer you some hot water and cocoa mix he's just brewed up for himself.
    -Seeing parents teach their children respect for nature, others, and themselves.
    -Watching a well-trained horse or dog put through its paces by a rider or handler who knows what (s)he's doing.
    -An old guy willing to sharing his 'secret', when you see him unpack the tiniest alcohol stove, small bottle, and pot you've ever seen, and watch in wonder as he turns it into a hot meal for himself.
    -A pot smoker who offers to share, but respectfully accepts your declining of his offer, and then has the decency to make sure he doesn't blow his smoke near you for the rest of the evening (which turned out to be pretty enjoyable) since he knows you can't stand the smell.
    [I'm allergec, stop breating. so apreciate it even more. #5 reason for no shelters.]
    -Running into the countless decent, respectful hikers i've met over the years, and the fascinating conversations they've provided in the evenings.
    -The day hiker who doesn't look at you like you're from Mars when you ask "what day is it" after a week out.
    I like all of the above good thoughts. Thanks!

My pet peves.
    Hikers that stay in shelters, knowing what they are like, & get mad at others for snoring.

Hikers who do not carry shelter, & expect you to move out into the rain so they can stay dry. (I refuse, AND reccomend others do so also BTW).

The above hikers who DEMAND someone move out.

Deciples of Ray J, who beg for food (& etc). I think what annoys me most about that is: it's not what Ray teaches.

Gear critics. ALL of them that do so without being asked.

HUGE BONFIRES.

My likes:

The Civilian that says "how far have you hiked?" & the look on their faces when you say "18 miles today", Usually followed by "ALONE?!?!? IN THE WOODS!!!?!!! Man I love that

The quiet of a stelth camp deep in the woods. Maybe with one or 2 kindred spirits & a very small campfire.

Quiet trail magic: jar of peanut butter left mid trail with a note "help yourself". things like that.

Someone who takes the time/energy to pick up others trash & pack it out.

Hiker's who take the time to help a hiker in need, gently offering advice to an obviously struggling newby. In my case I must say: Thanks Mala!!

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

1. People who set their tents up inside the shelter.
    2. Scouts who take over shelters and all the flat tent sites around the shelter.
    3. People who wake up at the crack of dawn and proceed to make alot of noise packing and cooking.
    4. Litter bugs
    5. People who believe their gear is the best and nothing else compares.

Images

1) Overly loud motorcycles on mountain highways. Not just the Harleys, but the mechanical mosquito sounds that the jet bikes make, too!
    2) Food cans left in fire rings.
    3) Horse poo on the trail.

Images

Religious fundies trying to proselytize on the AT. (One of the main reasons I don't stay at shelters anymore.)

Images

1 That there is no running water at the shelters
    2 That there is no place to plug stuff in at the shelters
    3 That you cannot just drive right up to the shelters
    4 That you have to walk up hill

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I think I pretty much only have 2 pieves while hiking.

The first is based on my 2003 thru, and is something over which I have no control ....RAIN.

The second is someone who complains constantly about one thing or another and won't go away.

Everything else I can deal with.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

The only complaint i can think of has been dogs that have ruined water sources and their owners say stuff like: "Isn't that cute, she's cooling off"

But reading most of these posts leads me to my formal conclusion that the shelters on the AT need to be ripped down. Most of the complaints arise from people or their gear or garbage being left, etc. Just don't stay at them if you don't like them. Get your water and go. Possibly don't even look at them. Shelters are like cities: that's where the crime, dirt, traffic jams, and filth of the world tend to hang out. Stealth camping is quiet, clean, usually has a better view, no snoring, no dogs camping and chasing mice all night, etc.

Images

Peeves:

1. Trash - on the trail, in the fire rings, wherever. (This is #1)

2. Vandalism of natural and/or man made things (like a shelter) - I don't normally stay at shelters, but I appreciate the work that goes into them and hare to see what some folks do to them and other things out there.

3. Horses, bikes, 4-wheelers, motorcycles on hiking trail. I know if I walk on a horse trail or bike trail I have to accept them, but they should not be on a hiking only trail.

4. Large and/or loud groups that over run a place (not just shelters)

5. Gear snobs - it can be an ultralighter or a heavy packer, it doesn't matter. The point is they think they have achieved the perfect packing list and are happy to tell you how. I talk gear off trail, on trail I try to forget it exists.

6. Smoking that impacts on me. With all that room out there I could care less if someone smokes cigarettes, MJ, cigars, a pipe, or whatever, but don't do it next to someone that ain't smoking.

7. Drunk and/or high people that forget that not everyone thinks it is acceptable to act a fool in that condition - I like to drink myself so don't think I am against any use, just irresponsible use.

8. Sniveling - really: if it sucks out there for you then quit hiking and quit sniveling! This ain't the Army and no one forces you to do it. You are supposed to be having fun out here. I know it can be cold, I know it can be hot, I know it can be hard work, I know you can get blisters, I know you can get boo boos, I know it can rain, I know the water sources can go dry, I know the mountain was steep, I know the trail has rocks... and I am also out there with you, I can see it myself, so I don't need someone telling me how much it sucks. Get with it and just be thankful you are out here in the first place

9. Loud music - keep music to yourself, that is what headphones are for. This could go for a lot of other loud noises, but I do accept some as part of the experience.

10. Cell phone users doing that "Guess where I am?" call or any other call around other hikers while on the trail. Just rude.

11. Uncontrolled or poorly controlled dogs on the trail. I have seen a few good ones, but mostly bad dogs on the trail. The problem usually is the owners of the bad ones don't realize it, condone it, or ignore it. Seems everyone that hikes with their dog thinks theirs is one of the good ones.

12. Tents in shelters. Again, I rarely use them, but what a self centered thing to do.

Enough sniveling. Things that make my day on the trail:

1. Positive attitudes. They are infectious. I love seeing someone gutting it out with a smile.

2. Courtesy. Making room in a shelter without being asked, waving and saying hi, getting out of someone's way when you can do it easier, whatever else there may be.

3. Giving back - hikers stopping to help with trail maintenance, people packing out trash, people doing whatever they can (like donating money) to keeping up trails.

4. Good dogs. There are a few out there and I am a dog person.

5. Kids on the trail. I like to see parents introducing kids to something that isn't on TV. That is where the future trail maintenance folks and dedicated hikers will come from. Passing on the love of hiking is a great thing to do. Just try to teach manners and respect for others on the trail at the same time.

6. New hikers making it. Now and then I have given up food, loaned gear, shared a stove and I am one of the ultralighters (see we all aren't beggars). And it was always to hikers that are short because they just didn't know what they didn't know when they planned their first hike. Novices out there learning (and making mistakes) but still doing it give me motivation for some reason. I've been around a few hikers in my time that had just heard about hiking and decided to try it. Some had more gear than you could shake a stick at but not always the right gear or enough food. But they were hanging in there and making it. Gotta love it.

7. Cowboy TV, especially with a few others around. Something about the fellowship around a campfire.

8. Any night in the woods, especially if it is in a hammock. Recharges your mental batteries like nothing else.

9. A creek.

10. A good view.

11. A good meal cooked on the trail.

12. Good Whiskey and some music.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 05-30-2006 at 03:36.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Trail etiquette is really no different from everyday etiquette; it's just expressed differently.

Treat others how you'd like to be treated. Good manners and a good attitude go a long way, even if a person doesn't know the "right" thing to say or do in a particular situation.

So that's what I like to see on the trail - just plain old good people. I don't even care how friendly you are as long as you're not an ass to people for no reason. Same as in everyday life - being an inconsiderate ass for no reason is my pet peeve. The details of that are listed in the posts above.
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 05-30-2006 at 11:33.

Past Thru hikers that think their owed something.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

1) POLITICAL DEBATE: As much as I may join in the fray on sites like this, I really don't care for more than a few minutes of that out in the woods.

2) RELIGIOUS PROSYLETIZING: Keep it in your church, preach to the choir.

3) TRASH: Left by lazy, inconsiderate hikers--including long-distance hikers.

4) GRAFFITI: On trees, landmarks, and shelters. See #3.

5) ULTRALIGHTERS: Mucho respect if self-sufficient. Mucho disgust if they refuse to carry weight but then sponge off other hikers or act as if their lack of a tarp or tent gives them first rights to shelter space. Ultra mucho disgust if they brag about their high mileage before or after spongeing.

6) ARTIFICIAL HIGHS OR LOWS: Mostly alcohol and drug-induced. Hike your own hike, get as high as you want, but must you do it around others not like-minded or at traditional gathering places like viewpoints, shelters, hostels, etc.?

7) TECHNOLOGY THAT INTRUDES: Bring whatever makes you feel comfy and secure, but do you need to make others hear your side of a cellphone conversation, or your choice of music?

~LIVE WELL~LAUGH OFTEN~LOVE MUCH~ Green Bean's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amigi'sLastStand
    . This will probably be the last hike of my life. "?????"
    Whys that?
    "Plans to protect air, water, wilderness and wildlife are in fact plans to protect man."

Images

Pet Peeve?-Small, secretive and highly effective military bases on AT to fight the drug war.

Seriously, annoying people who spread their stuff all over the shelters. Especially when they place their gear on the benches so you can't sit anywhere. I know that sounds like nothing, but, when you're getting old and you've had knee surgery, you'd appreciate a place to sit down.

know-it-all trail bums who insist on giving silly advice on everything little thing. i won't mention any names but the initials of the worst offender are BJ.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++