WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega

In the dates section I saw refernce to this hostel. I had looked them up before and was planning to FEDEX or UPS my backpack to them and have them pick me up at the airport, I do not trust the airlines with mt backpack. Then I willl spend the night at the hostel and have them take me to the AT the next day.

Has anyone on the net tried this with them or other places?

Cherokee Tom

Images

I haven't sent a backpack through UPS to them, but I have used them as a starting point for one of my section hikes and they are wonderful people. It is a great experience and one that shouldn't be missed, imho. I'm sure there would be no problem with the mailing.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Lilredmg
    I haven't sent a backpack through UPS to them, but I have used them as a starting point for one of my section hikes and they are wonderful people. It is a great experience and one that shouldn't be missed, imho. I'm sure there would be no problem with the mailing.
    Josh & Leigh at the hiker hostel are great,

I did that this year. It was expensive to send my backpack UPS ahead of my flight. I think it was around 40.00 whe I could have just checked it as baggage on the flight. The hostel is a wonderfull place to stay and a great start to your hike. Highly recommended.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ivanputski
    The hostel is a wonderfull place to stay and a great start to your hike. Highly recommended.
    Agree.
    Consider using a duffel (and a carry-on bag for the most fragile items) to carry your stuff to Atlanta.
    The duffel can then be mailed home.
    I have friends who do this and I am considering it for this months trip to Alaska.
    Rambler

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Josh and Leigh are fantastic - can not say enough good about them!!! They have shuttled me a couple of times now and I would not hesitate to call them again. Happy hiking!
    So be it.
    --John

Images

I can't speak for other services they offer, but I used them this weekend for a shuttle and vehicle storage. They are very reliable and good people to work with. I'll definately use them again.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wonder if they would shuttle from Fontana Dam and how much? My dh is hiking with us for two weeks and will need a shuttle back to his car at Amicalola Falls.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful
    Wonder if they would shuttle from Fontana Dam and how much? My dh is hiking with us for two weeks and will need a shuttle back to his car at Amicalola Falls.
    I donno, but that is REALLY pretty far. 2+ hours of windy roads - one way. What's a dh?
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    What's a dh?
    ============================
    I hope he doesn't tell us !!

We could start a new thread called ...What's a "dh". It would last forever.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    I donno, but that is REALLY pretty far. 2+ hours of windy roads - one way. What's a dh?
    Blissful is an American League pitcher. Or she likes to call her husband Dear Heart.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

i've checked my backpack as luggage on many occasions, the same one that i use to thru-hike, in fact. never had anything go wrong, even on my most recent multi-city euro-tour-de-goat. even w/ multiple layovers. they'll even give you a big-ass tray/bucket to place it in (my bag is 5800 cu. in.) so the straps don't get caught in the luggage conveyor belts. best of luck on your hike!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    Blissful is an American League pitcher. Or she likes to call her husband Dear Heart.
    You got that right. And he just announced the other day he is giving up his company's trip to Hawaii next year so he can support my thru hike (in other words, he wanted me to go, but thought it wouldn't be good for me to stop my hike for that amount of time). Now if that isn't a DH (with capitol letters no less) I don't know what is!!! This guy has been great and so supportive.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

You got that right. And he just announced the other day he is giving up his company's trip to Hawaii next year so he can support my thru hike (in other words, he wanted me to go, but thought it wouldn't be good for me to stop my hike for that amount of time). Now if that isn't a DH (with capitol letters no less) I don't know what is!!! This guy has been great and so supportive.

Wow. That's serious support. Best wishes on your thru-hike and God bless your DH(and you).
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Thumbs up I stayed there... It was cool!

The Hiker Hostel is really nice, and the folks that run it are great people. That's where I started my hike. The breakfast alone is worth a stay! And Josh and Leigh will answer your emails or phone calls. I believe their website is HikerHostel.com. Their contact info is available on that site, so I'm sure you can find out about shuttles, addresses, and whatnot.

Happy hiking!

I used them. I put my pack in a surplus gi duffle bag. when I got to atlanta, i just ditched the duffle. My flight was cancled 3 times and I got into atlanta 5 hours late. I always checked to see where my bag was BEFORE i got on the next plane. The folks at the hiker hostel where right there waiting for me. I had no way to notify them that my flight had been delayed. It takes about an hour to get from airport over the local train MARTA to the pick up point. getting to Springer couldn't be much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler
    Agree.
    Consider using a duffel (and a carry-on bag for the most fragile items) to carry your stuff to Atlanta.
    The duffel can then be mailed home.
    You can also buy a used duffel or suitcase at a Goodwill or Salavation Army store and just toss it away when you get to Atlanta. I wouldn't recommend just leaving it at the airport, though. If security sees you leaving a bag and hurrying out of the terminal they may get a tad suspicious

Josh told me last yr. that they only shuttle to points in GA...

Wonder if they would shuttle from Fontana Dam and how much?
    That is a long way to shuttle ...
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Default listen to me tom from 1934 who lifts weights and has his gggrandfathers name...

you dont need no stinkin shuttle ,dont send your pack ahead , and dont skip the approtch trail. get that pack on your back right now and start walkin buddy.you survived being on oxygin and being 70, your doin just fine thank you very much. what do you think your doing planning in this way? why , someone might get the idea your old. well your not! you got 30 maby 40 years left so start liftin and get on down that trail.im startin nex feb 18th so ill see ya brother. matthewskis the name .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++