WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Campmor 8x10 tarp

I got one of the green sylnylon tarps for my HH. The plan is to run the 10 ft section over the HH, leaving 4 ft for each side. Problem is that the 10 ft section does not have a seam in the middle--only in the 8 ft dimension. Tie out is with a single gromet on each end.

The question is...do I need to reinforce the tarp ridge line to reduce strees from the tie outs? Or, reinforce the gromets? If so, what is the preferd way to do this?

I have the same tarp - works great. I have used it for about two years now and there is no sign of stress at the grommets or ridge line. I install it just like the original tarp that came with the hammock. You do not need to seam running down the ridgeline.
    GDW

Just a suggestion:
    Last edited by veteran; 12-15-2006 at 18:48.

That is the set up I use for my tarp over my Speer hammock, also. Makes for much less sag in the middle. Initially, it takes a bit more line and a bit of time to get the length and tension just right, but once you are there, it is ready to be pitched forever.

Default Re: Post 3 Veteran

While we are on the subject of the 8X10 tarp, do folks find the 10 ft length adequate, rather than pitching the tarp on the diagonal? Seems fine to me, but many pictures that I see have the tarps on the diagonal. I'm guessing those are smaller tarps. Or is the diagonal utilized in order to use fewer stakes?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Alligator,
    The original HH tarp is smaller and diamond-shaped, and intended to be pitched on the diagonal over the hammock body. I have found that in moderate weather, the original tarp is reasonably protective, but it's not large enough in heavy, wind-blown rain. Hennessey sells a larger tarp as an option.

I have the Campmor 8x10 sil-tarp, but I've only used it on the ground. Checking it with the HH, I think the 10-foot length would be fine with the Ultralight Backpacker, adequate with the Explorer, and not enough with the Safari. It would need to be carefully pitched to maximize coverage, but then you would get a nice covered area for cooking, hanging out, etc. -- much larger than the original HH tarp.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=Alligator]While we are on the subject of the 8X10 tarp, do folks find the 10 ft length adequate, rather than pitching the tarp on the diagonal?
    ========================================
    I have the original HH ultralight backpacker with the little blue, diamond shaped fly. Got caught in too many windy rain storms to use that little fly any more. Not a bad little awning over a tent door but otherwise it's just too skimpy.

Shopped around and ended up going with the JRB 8 x 8 fly. It has the seam on the diagonal so the center line length is acually around 11'. Works like a charm.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Rectangle tarps tend to protect the ends of a tarp better from rain blowing in from the side. 10' is a bit shorter than the ridgelines of some non-rectangular tarps or those hung diagonally (JRB and MacCat, for example).

So if you're hanging the tarp broadside to the wind, an 8x10' may give you better protection. If the wind changes and your trees don't provide much protection for the ends, you may be a bit more exposed depending on which tarp you're comparing to.

But lots of people find 8x10 more than adequate for most hammocks.

I already have the Campmor 8X10 and was planning on using it for now with my new Byer Moskito. If I can sleep well enough, I think I may sew up a Speer style hammock. Even further, I have considered sewing a Maccat style tarp, something with a catenary curve on the ridgeline. I was leaning toward the non-diamond setup of the tarp and was worried about rain. The diagonal is about 12.8ft, but I like then non-diamond setup. The off-centered corners bug me on the rectangular tarp. A lot .
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

The MacCat hammock tarps have a straight ridgeline and cat cut sides. Gives plenty of head room that way, and more pitching options since there isn't an optimum pitch angle, but it's still very stable in high winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    The MacCat hammock tarps have a straight ridgeline and cat cut sides. Gives plenty of head room that way, and more pitching options since there isn't an optimum pitch angle, but it's still very stable in high winds.
    My bad there then, thought there was a cat cut on the ridgeline too.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

He may put cat ridgelines on his custom ground tarps. I bet he'll read this and will chime in shortly. Or we could check his website if we were motivated enough...

Images

Yeah sure, I'll chime in if you want:P

I have been reading for a few years the pluses and minuses of a catenary cut ridgeline, and I have decided that while having one is nice for certain pitches (mainly A-Frame), it really isn't up to me for what pitch a person has to use in the wilderness.
    For that reason, instead I use an aggressive cat cut along the entire perimeter, keeping the tarp extremely taught while not substituting this taughtness for headroom. And most important to all, catenary cut edges do not cut down on the amount of pitching options nearly as much as a cat cut ridgeline. For me, headroom and pitching options are the two most important aspects in a tarp, and not including a cat cut ridgeline prioritizes both of these.

Brian
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com

Images

Default How I hang my campmor 8X10 a little differently

I tie to the grommets near each 10 ft side and hang it where it is about 9ft from end to end. This leaves an off angle on each side of the tarp but covers my hammock very well. I use small elastic type cords for all four sides and tie my ends to the trees with regular small rope. It may look a tad crooked but it actually covers very well and no sag at the ridge.

Images

Default How I hang my campmor 8X10 a little differently

I tie to the grommets near each 10 ft side and hang it where it is about 11ft from end to end. This leaves an off angle on each side of the tarp but covers my hammock very well. I use small elastic type cords for all four sides and tie my ends to the trees with regular small rope. It may look a tad crooked but it actually covers very well and no sag at the ridge.

Images

how to delete message #14? sheesh

Quote Originally Posted by ncmtns
    how to delete message #14? sheesh
    $10 to the site and you can edit.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea