Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Long or Short Hair

My hair is usually cut in a short bob style. This in-between length is going to be unmanageable on the trail, so which way should I go -- really short or long enough for a ponytail?

PS. I don't have "wash and wear" hair. Use of a hair dryer and some kind of styling product are required in my everyday life. Without these things on the trail, I need the ability to either pull it all back and secure it, or have it so short that I just comb it off to one side.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I cut mine short for hiking - it is cooler, easy to clean and requires no style implements or products. It is also harder for ticks to go unnoticed in short hair.

I found it easiest to go long but not too long. As long as I can get all of it up in a ponytail I really only have to touch it when I get up in the morning and then I cover it with a bandana. One hike I had it really long and the pony tail was just too much. Even when I sort of had it looped up it was still on my neck.

My hair started shoulder length and I just let it grow. It did tend to mat at night or when wearing a balaclava hood in cold weather. I would just work out the mats and finger-comb in the morning and I was ready for the day. I sent the 1/2 of a comb I brought home as unneeded within a few weeks.

More than one woman ended up shaving their heads on the trail. The friend I knew who did it shaved hers somewhere in Virginia-PA and it grew out so much by Katahdin that you could no longer guess that it had been shaved. The ultimate warm weather hair style!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah, I plan to cut my hair short next year for my thru and hubby isn't too happy about it. But I think short is the way to go. I've had it long on some hikes and more than once had hair bands fall off onto the ground from slick hair.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

short is a relative word- how short is short?

TH
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Images

I have always worn my hair long when on the trail. I can do a number of things from ponytails, to braids, to buns, etc. It is much easier for me than using a blowdryer or gel! I wash when I get to town and let it airdry. It breaks my heart to see the girls chop off their beautiful hair because they think it will be easier. (Shaved heads may be easier, but growing out must be a pain!) My hair was nearly waist length this year and no problems during my short hike.

I keep my hair long. I just had this pic taken when I was camping two weeks ago. This was my hair combed out after five straight days of being in two dutch braids. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...T2765small.jpg. Sexy, isn't it? Sometimes I think that short hair would be easier on the trail, but I would miss my hair if it was gone.

whoops, wrong link, that link was the recovery. this is the real one. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...T2763small.jpg

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Okay, this may sound strange but what about coloring? Do you all just go gray (those of us over 40, that is)? Or do you color it on the trail like at a hotel, hostel, etc? Or a hairdresser? Just wondering. I know I will be completely white at age 43 if I don't color.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

No color for me. That's way too much trouble.

Re: Long vs. short...I think some of that depends on your hair's texture. Mine is not straight. If it's get more than a few inches long, I often look like those kooky pictures of Einstein (minus the moustache), especially when it's windy. So it's starting short and will hopefully get a couple of cuts along the way.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

If your hair is long enough, you could have it mini-braided before hitting the trail. Very low maintenance.

Images

You can start out long and get it cut in a trail town if it's hard to manage. I had long hair the whole time (I'm a male) and only tied it up during the warmer months.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Re: coloring - I have used the 24 shampoo semi-perm hair coloring products with success in the past. They gradulally fade over the 24 shampoo cycle so they don't look awful as the roots grow out. Be sure you rinse the product out very thoroughly after applying as any residue itchs like crazy and irritates a sweaty scalp.

I hiked with long hair for many years - it is actually easily to style (no days when you slept wrong and resemble Einstein or Alfalfa). I opt to go short today because it is so much easier to wash and dry, does not get 'matted' with sweat and (I have very thick hair) is much, much cooler. I just had my hair cut to 1" on the sides and shaped on top because we are trying to fit in some section hiking between all the family events (graduations, birthdays, weddings, etc.)

hmmm.... do you think short or long hair really matter?.. i have long hair..and tried hiking with this...i just had it pony tailed...and also try adding some clips or hair pins on the side..this works to those who have bangs....

my hair changes lengths rather a lot, so i generally just work with whatever i have: ponytail if it's long enough for it, handkerchief over it if it's short.... and since i've a mohawk with mane in front right now i'm going to just shave off the mohawk and trim u p the mane around my face and let the back grow out all in one length. throw a hat or handkerchief over it and go... i color my hair a different color about every 2-4 weeks, so when out on long enough hikes to matter (like this upcoming one) i just dye it before i go and then let it fade to white-blond it's bleached underneath (and let the roots justa show black at the base haha!). basically, i just try to start as low-maintenance as possible at first and deal with it as it goes...

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Default Ladies, listen up!!!

I posted this on another thread for guys ( girls? ) about shaving heads and faces on the trail. I felt it was important enough to post here for my favorite gender.

shave with a #2 all the way around and stop shaving about week before I take a long hike. That way I get the itchies out of the way at home and so I know my hair follicles/pores are sealed against dirt. I will not shave again until I'm home.

If you do shave on the trail, both ladies and men, please listen up:

You must first thoroughly wash the area to be shaved with soap and water, not just the shaving cream. Make sure you scrub really good so that the hairs move around. Wash your hands very well, also. I would not recommend a "the closest shave in the world" brand either. A two blade is good enough.
    Clean your razor after each use with denat alcohol then rinse with water.
    All this is needed to avoid a dermal staph infection.
    You are in heaven.

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amigi'sLastStand
    I posted this on another thread for guys ( girls? ) about shaving heads and faces on the trail. I felt it was important enough to post here for my favorite gender.

shave with a #2 all the way around and stop shaving about week before I take a long hike. That way I get the itchies out of the way at home and so I know my hair follicles/pores are sealed against dirt. I will not shave again until I'm home.

If you do shave on the trail, both ladies and men, please listen up:

You must first thoroughly wash the area to be shaved with soap and water, not just the shaving cream. Make sure you scrub really good so that the hairs move around. Wash your hands very well, also. I would not recommend a "the closest shave in the world" brand either. A two blade is good enough.
    Clean your razor after each use with denat alcohol then rinse with water.
    All this is needed to avoid a dermal staph infection.
    I forgot to say, this can happen on legs, under arms, and other ( ahem ) areas as well.
    You are in heaven.

Images

I am a man, but I have experience in hiking with both long hair (pre-Army) and short hair - VERY short. I would take VERY short any day. Easy to clean and keep up with. No worries about how bad it feels or looks. It is good in the winter because it doesn't require buckets of cold water to clean up like long hair, just a damp bandanna is all that is needed. And in hot weather your head will cool off so much easier.

Of course you have to learn to live with it. When I got my first military cut my head felt like it didn't even belong to me for the first couple of weeks.

Good luck.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I only section hike, but I leave my hair long (almost to the small of my back right now) I just put it in braided pigtails before I go out and don't even have to brush it the whole time. After about 5 days it starts getting messy though...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++