WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
    Slow means 1 MPH or less - much less if boulder climbing is involved. I'm a section hiker so I'm thinking I may use the campground and do the summit, part way down and then back to the campgound on one day and then go part way up and come back down the AT on another day. While I know it isn't the way most do it, it may be the only way I can because my right leg is seriously impaired
    Considering your leg is seriously impaired, I would only recommend the Hunt Trail. Abol is a rock slide and you will have to do the Knife's Edge from Chimney Pond. Start early, there is some bouldering above treeline but the rest is steps. BTW, Hunt Trail is known as the "easiest" trail to Baxter Peak.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mdionne
    Considering your leg is seriously impaired, I would only recommend the Hunt Trail. Abol is a rock slide and you will have to do the Knife's Edge from Chimney Pond. Start early, there is some bouldering above treeline but the rest is steps. BTW, Hunt Trail is known as the "easiest" trail to Baxter Peak.
    Not really true. Your choices from Chimney Pond are: The Saddle Trail, The Cathedral, Hamlin Ridge Trail, and the Dudley Trail (?) Only the Dudley involves the Knife Edge.

I consider Hamlin Ridge by far the easiest trail -- though long. The Saddle is shorter and also fairly easy -- easier than the Hunt Trail by far in my opinion.

My favorite liesurely way to climb Katahdin is to walk three miles into Chimney POnd, camp, and do the Saddle or Hamlin Ridge the next morning, returning to Chimney Pond for a second night.

Weary

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Thanks for the tips, Weary. I know you understand what it is to hike difficult trails with legs that don't want to go. You are an inspiration.

Images

I finally climbed Katahdin a few years ago. From Chimney Pond I took the Cathedral Trail up to Baxter Peak, went across the Knife's Edge and we hiked down the Helon Taylor Trail.

The worst part for me was The Cat's Walk. No literature I had ever mentioned the Cat's Walk! Why? We had to slide across this narrow ledge on the tips of our boots with nothing but air underneath us. OY!

Other than that, though, it wasn't that bad. It was a very tough hike and a very long day. For me, the worst part was the long, long, long downhill of the Helon Taylor Trail. It seemed to go on forever.

Images

Exclamation Katahdin, above tree line

My wife, daughter and I just returned from a week of hiking in Maine. Our last day we tried the Hunt Trail up Katahdin. TJ had given me loads of good advice and we had a wonderful time. The weather was beautiful, 50 degrees at 6 a.m. at the Baxter State Park entrance, and the skies clear. Bugs were out but bearable and a little deet kept them away. We were prepared for the bugs, weather, had plenty of water and food but one thing I had not thought about was hiking above treeline is different than below treeline.
    My wife and I have sectioned hiked over 350 miles of the AT most all of it in the south. Our daughter has hiked all over Northern Alabama without any difficulty. But when we broke treeline, 3.5 hours after we started, it was something she had never experienced. She was scared to death. The trail to treeline was difficult for all of us with the last mile or so just before treeline more kin to climbing over and around boulders than hiking.
    My daughter, 25 yrs. old, just could not handle being out in the open walking and climbing over those huge boulders. When we made it to the first "vertical" climb, the first place the iron hand / foot holds are in the rock she just could not go any further. Her color drained and I was afraid she was going to pass out. I was really worried about just getting her back down below treeline. She was scared, more so than I've ever seen anyone. We sat down, ate some lunch, talked about the beautiful view but she was never comfortable out in the open. With a lot of help from us, she finally made it down below treeline. She literally hugged the rocks going back down the short distance to treeline. Once she was back under / surrounded by trees she was all right.
    I think we were probably 1.5 miles from the summit when we turned around. Bummer! Talk about a long trip down!
    So another thing to consider is have you ever been above treeline? It's different.
    Uncle Wayne

Images

I have a question for those who have climbed K on the AT trail - Would it be possible to use a rope on the vertical portion (where the iron hand and foot holds are)? The male dino could climb up and tie it off if there is something to tie it off to. I ask because it sounds like it is going to be an absolute necessity for me to safely do this section.

I have a question for those who have climbed K on the AT trail - Would it be possible to use a rope on the vertical portion (where the iron hand and foot holds are)? The male dino could climb up and tie it off if there is something to tie it off to. I ask because it sounds like it is going to be an absolute necessity for me to safely do this section.
    I'm not sure about using a rope. When I went up, we took a group of HS kids. They were great, always helping each other out. At the metal rungs, one person was above, and one below. It's not that high, maybe a 6 ft rock face? So if you can arrange to bring an extra friend or two, you'd have a good shot of making it. Being able to swing your leg up at the hip though is pretty important. You'd probably have a lot less trouble going down the Hunt Trail. But not having come up it, you wouldn't know for sure how difficult it might be. You definitely wouldn't want to be stuck there and falling from that section could be fatal. Below treeline, there was a steep slope or two where we stopped to help people along, but there a rope could be easily rigged if needed.

I've only been up Abol and Hunt. The trails that Weary talked could be the better options.

I have read of two accounts of people with disabilities climbing Katahdin. One leg climbed the Abol Slide Trail but had to be flown off the top due to tiredness. A hiker with multiple sclerosis fell and was banged up pretty bad 2-3 years ago, MS Taz (trailjournals). Both IMHO failed in their planning efforts, which is why I mention them, NOT to discourage you. I assume also that Bill Irwin climbed the mountain blind and I'm sure there have been plenty of others. Best of fortune.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

A rope is possible and it would give you something to hold on to. But the distance isn't great, maybe 12 feet at the most. Basically we are talking a rock scramble.

For people with flexible joints there are niches in the rocks suitable for toe and finger holds. I have a little difficulty because my joints are stiff and don't stretch as much as I would like.

The Hunt TRail (AT) is not something one walks up the whole way. In places it requires arms as well as legs and body friction. But I once managed to get a person with a broken wrist through the rock jumble.

The Knife Edge is a somewhat similar experience. There is a place where the trail is only a foot or so wide, and falls off a thousand feet. But it isn't a vertical fall. One would have to struggle to actually roll down the thousand feet. I assume this is the section that someone referred to as the "cat walk."

But I doubt if anyone has ever been hurt there. The injuries come in the gap between Pamola and Chimney Peak, mostly because people try to go down facing the direction of the trail. That's like trying to go down a ladder facing out. Once you lose your balance there is nothing to grab on to.

The easy and safe descent is to go down facing the rocks. There are numerous toe and finger holds and the friction of your body against the rocks to prevent falls and serious injury. Face the rocks and the most serious likely injury is a scraped knee.

Weary
    Last edited by weary; 06-06-2006 at 09:57.

I didn't read every line of every posting here but I hiked Katahdin last year and I would highly recommend you do NOT take hiking poles with you. My knees were really aching by the time I got to Katahdin so I took the poles which were very useful on the way up and a huge liability on the way down.

With my gimpy knees I did it in 3:15. As I was coming down there were 4 ladies, none of which were under 70 years young, heading up. Just take your time going in both directions.

Also make sure you wear something with wind protection that will keep you warm. I hiked in Aug and once you get above the tree line it can be very windy and very cold.

The first time I climbed Katahdin,(1948) my boy scout troup had an experience much like Uncle Wayne had with his daughter. One of our scouts discovered he had a major fear of heights once he looked back from above tree line. He grabbed a rock and literally had to be pried off and carried down. He was told to close his eyes and trust the group to get him down. Once he got to the trees he was fine. He later joined the Navy and served on Submarines. Thank God he didn't choose the Air Force. This summer we have a woman climber who has a fear of heights and wants to climb Katahdin by the Hunt, (AT) Trail and knows what to expect. When we get to the metal wrungs we plan to just surround her and push her up and we feel that she will make it. Once most hikers get past the metal wrungs and rods they seem to settle down and have little more problems even though the rest of the hike to the tableland is difficult. Once you get to the tableland, one mile friom the summit to is a pleasant walk in the rocks.One gradual mile and there you are at the famous sign.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]Don't fret the petty things, &
    Don't pet the sweaty things[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I][/I]
    (I'm moxie00 on my apple-moxie on my PC)

Images

Climbing is much easier for me than descending. Given what is being said it sounds like the best plan might be to get a very early start and climb the mountain via the AT and go down to the campground via the Saddle trail instead of attempting the summit and descent via the AT. How windy and cold would the campground be in mid-summer?

Journal Entries

Climbing is much easier for me than descending. Given what is being said it sounds like the best plan might be to get a very early start and climb the mountain via the AT and go down to the campground via the Saddle trail instead of attempting the summit and descent via the AT. How windy and cold would the campground be in mid-summer?
    Usually Chimney Pond is not bad. It's sheltered by trees. But it's around 3,500 feet elevation, which in northern New England means temperatures as low as freezing, occasionally, anyway.

NE AT 733 of 733 miles & Long Trail End-to-End Tramper Al's Avatar
    Images

That sounds like a plan.

You might think about timing your start time so that the day is breaking just as you reach treeline - that's what I did last summer.

It is hard to imagine that a rope would be of much help ascending the Hunt Trail, unless you are talking about wearing a harness and having your partner belay you up. The couple of tricky spots will require your hands to be on rock (and iron), not trying to hold a rope. If you normally use poles, you can strap them on your pack for this part, right?

You know, right, that all overnight stays at BSP must be fully reserved in advance, yes?
    http://www.baxterstateparkauthority....ercamping.html

You'll want to stay at Katahdin Stream the night before your climb, and I think you are looking at staying at Chimney Pond after you descend from the summit via the Saddle? Know that the facilities at CP are bunkhouse and lean-tos, not tent sites.

Yes, it can be windy and/or cold at CP in summer, but you must realize that the conditions there can run the gammut. You'll have your sleeping bag, emergency shelter, and a sensible assortment of clothing, yes? That should be fine.

And you probably know that walking out from CP will put you at Roaring Brook, on the whole other side of the park, right? You can generally get a ride from there pretty easily though.
    - Tramper Al

Default Climbing with a full pack?

Given what is being said it sounds like the best plan might be to get a very early start and climb the mountain via the AT and go down to the campground via the Saddle trail instead of attempting the summit and descent via the AT.
    One problem with that plan -- You would need to have someone meet you at the campground with your gear. You won't want to carry a full pack to the top of Katahdin.
    Shutterbug

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug
    One problem with that plan -- You would need to have someone meet you at the campground with your gear. You won't want to carry a full pack to the top of Katahdin.
    Is that really much of a problem? Personally, I'd be carrying a fair amount of extra clothing and contingency gear on a Tablelands/summit day hike anyway. Staying over at CP, I would add my summer sleeping bag, Ridgerest, and dinner/breakfast. Not much really, and never a "full pack". And the benefit of sleeping on the mountain at CP, particularly under this scenario, could be priceless.
    - Tramper Al

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wayne
    My daughter, 25 yrs. old, just could not handle being out in the open walking and climbing over those huge boulders. When we made it to the first "vertical" climb, the first place the iron hand / foot holds are in the rock she just could not go any further. Her color drained and I was afraid she was going to pass out. I was really worried about just getting her back down below treeline. She was scared, more so than I've ever seen anyone.
    Hi Uncle Wayne!
    That's the spot where a lot of people turn back. She's not the first one to find out above treeline isn't comfortable, and she won't be the last. Good for for making it up that far!
    FrolickingDinos: (what a great trail name!) You're going to hike with a partner, right? There are many places on the Hunt Spur where hikers can give a boost or lend a hand up, and that first 'monkey bar' is just one of many. Without knowing the other person personally, giving advice is always hard, but here I go anyways: set a goal below Baxter Peak. Make your goal getting up onto the Hunt Spur, the views are glorious, and the achievement substantial. Once you get up there, decide on your next goal, be it further up, having a picnic, or heading back down. Good luck, and have fun!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Difficulty of Katahdin

Your problem may not be the climb but having excess to Katahdin Springs campground.
    During my 01 thru I flip-floped from Duncannon to Katahdin. My wife drove me up along with a friend and another hiker who was also doing a flip-flop. It was July 22 and we were warned that you had to arrive at the Baxter gate by 5 AM to insure a permit to enter Katahdin Springs campground, where the AT Hunt trail is. We arrived at the park at 5:15, waited for the ranger to start letting cars in at 6:00. There were about 12 to 15 cars in line ahead of us. When it became our turn, to get a permit we were told that the parking at Katahdin was filled and we would not be permitted to even be dropped of at Katahdin Springs campgroung. We told the ranger that we were on a thru-hike, but that didn't seem to matter.
    We than reentered the line for admission and when it became our turn for a permit request we told the ranger that we had decided to hike another trail in a different area of the park. We were given the permit and entered Baxter. When we got to the point that the AT crossed the road we got out and started hiking.
    My point is; there are other aspects of meeting someone at Baxter to hike with than just meeting up with someone on the AT..
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie
    Your problem may not be the climb but having excess to Katahdin Springs campground.
    The challenge of day hiking access is a good one, but anyone looking to get a very early start on the Hunt Trail will have made reservations at Katahdin Stream (or as well Abol CG) for the night before. As an overnight camper, you can access any day lot via the tote road before the gate opens to day hikers. With the Togue Pond gate not even opening until 6am, an early start via that route is not possible.

As I understand it, the daily trailhead quotas are more to limit the number of hikers on a given trail, rather than the number of cars in a given lot. It is assumed that some proportion of those staying at a trailhead campground will hike the trail too. Still it is surprising that only 12-15 cars ahead would close out that access for you at Katahdin Stream, though the lot there is not very large. Roaring Brook's lot tends to "sell out" most quickly on busy summer days.
    - Tramper Al

OK, don't tell anyone, but there's two secrets to getting spots at Katahdin Stream to hike up the AT to Baxter Peak. One: A certain percentage of camping spots are held in reserve for Maine residents. If ten days prior to the date those reservations would be for, no Mainer has requested them, they are put out on the open market. You can phone the Park, ask about openings tens days (or less) away, and reserve any available spot over the phone with a credit card. Your rez will be at the gatehouse for you to pick up. Two: Are you a Maine resident and driving a car with Maine tags? Call the Park and ask about the reserved parking spots just for Mainers. Remember, shhhhh!
    P.S. If you camped at KSC or Abol the night before your climb, move your car over to the big lot the night before. If you wait til 7 or 8 the next morning after you break camp, the lot might be full and you'll have nowhere to park your car!
    Tramper Al: I think the KSC lot holds 40 cars, and they do go by the number of vehicles, not by the number of hikers in them. If the latter were the case, they'd have to shut down after 5 or 6 vans from the summer camps roll in.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs
    ......I would highly recommend you do NOT take hiking poles with you. ....the poles which were very useful on the way up and a huge liability on the way down.
    Exact opposite from my experience. Shows we're all different.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++