WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tent Advice???

Default Tent Advice???

I'm rather specific on what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a good 1.5 man tent. I want something just big enough to hold me and my pack in it so we can both ride out any storms I may face next year on the trail. It doesn't have to be freestanding, but I do really want full mosquito netting. So I think that rules out the tarp tents, unless there are some out there with netting. And I don't really like hammocks, so that rules them out.

Thanks

Images

The Tarptent Virga 2. It has full bug netting and a floor, for about 30 ounces total weight. You could also look at the Tarptent Rainbow.

www.tarptent.com
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Default black diamond bibler megamidlite and pyramid lite with optional bug net or floor rule

my mega mid lite is 4 man at 2lbs 11 oz.

Images

Default tent advice??

kelty darts and some of their other tents are good tents for the price and also have good spacing.ky

Images

Like Bigcranky said check out www.tarptent.com they sould have anything you are looking for with protection from the bugs and most come in at under 2 lbs.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

mtn hrdwr waypoint
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

My Texsport weighs less than 3 pounds, cost $30, has bug netting and doesn't leak. But, my HH is much better

Images

I carry the Big Agnus Seed House. Free standing, light weight and has full bug netting. When choosing a tent these were important to me plus two other features. First I wanted to be able to get dressed in it, it is tall enough to do so. Second, is it something that I could spend the day in, and it was (Hurrican Catrina came through while I was on the Mahoosic Arm). It was well worth the cost and I plan on usind it on the PCT next year. WB
    Peace

Tarptent Squall2 with floor. 35 oz. including floor. Has mosquito netting. Just the right size for me, my gear and Socks the wonder dog.
    Early Bird 2007

I'm with wilderness bob on the big agnus. The seedhouse SL1 (super light) is my favorite for all the reasons mentioned above, but also because of the double wall construction with the tent wall being light weight breathable mesh. With this in mind condensation is never a problem unlike many tight squeeze single walled tents. If you think condensation isn't a factor borrow a friends bivy sack and by morning you'll see what i mean.

Images

Default Big Agnes SeedHouse SL2

I went for the extra room and got the "2" man which his really that 1.5 man you are looking for. It is only 9 oz more than the SL1. Freestanding, roomy. Can sleep 2 in a pinch..

Weight is 2 lb 14 oz. You can set it up wit hjust the foot print and fly to save weight.

Iceman
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo - 1 lb 8 oz.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36

Meets all the needs you listed and lighter than most.
    Don't waste time telling people what you are doing or what you are going to do. Results have a way of informing the world.

I would check out the Mountain Hardware Waypoint One. It is roomy and fairly light, and seems to always be on sale.
    GA-ME 04
    GA-VA 05

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bearbag hanger
    Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo - 1 lb 8 oz.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36

Meets all the needs you listed and lighter than most.
    I use the Europa myself, but either of Ron's tents would be ideal. The Europa is roomy enough to sit up in and if you're tentbound for a day you can really stretch out and relax. I do like the Lunar Solo's side entry and have been considering it for some time now. A tarptent is definitely the way to go for roominess and less weight. Both Tarptent and Six Moon Designs offer excellent customer service so no matter which you choose you will not go wrong.
    So be it.
    --John

I use a Walrus Swift, they also had a Micro Swift (a little smaller) the Swift is a 1.5 person absolute BOMB PROOF lightweight tent. The famous Walrus brand got bought by MSR which have changed things a bit. Their ZOID line resembles the old Swift. I have never had a better tent to keep me dry, stayed in the sucker for 3.5 days during a tropical depression in Fla one time. I really like the full netting and the secure rain-fly it has.

Default Hilleberg Akto

Expensive, but it will definitely fit your bill: roomy vestibule (plenty of space for your pack), pretty light (3 lbs. and a few ounces), outstanding in wind. For excellent pictures (& service), have a look at: http://www.backcountry-equipment.com...eberg_akto.php

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DGG
    Expensive, but it will definitely fit your bill: roomy vestibule (plenty of space for your pack), pretty light (3 lbs. and a few ounces), outstanding in wind. For excellent pictures (& service), have a look at: http://www.backcountry-equipment.com...eberg_akto.php
    I saw my first one of these at Trail Days 2005. Very cool tent design - but pricy and heavy IMO. I have never seen one in the field so I wonder how popular they really are...
    So be it.
    --John

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default second the vote for the Akto

but i got mine down to 2.3 pounds with a Fibraplex pole and removal of the OEM lines and subbed with Triptease and removed the labels, and subbed the metal stays built in with carbon.
    If you want bombproof/4season/high wind tent then the Akto is for you but expect to spend a lot for it...with the Kerlon fabric it should last a lifetime.
    The design is ingenious, will sleep 2 if cozy, has plenty of room for pack in the vestibule and for cooking (though obviously for the lawers not recommended)....the only problem with the Akto is the fact that the guylines (though all of them are only needed if you are above treeline with 40mph wind) take up real estate. I was last in mine at Bears Den 2 months ago, preferring to hammock, but for tents its nice.....we'll see how the Double Rainbow compares hopefully next week though its not advertised as four season....oh, one more thing on the akto, if you dont expect bugs you can drop the inner tent for even more room, and it sets up in a way that prevents the inner from getting wet even in a down pour.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

I like the looks of the Akto and the tent in-a tent kinda thing. I just wonder about blowing rain and breath-ability. Also, whats the floor made of on the inner-tent. I'd have to look real close at it before shelling out the big bucks. On my Swift I use tarp clips and cordage to secure my fly for the winter and high winds.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default rain blowing in?

in an akto? if it is button up it is not a concern....floor material? that i cant say with certainty but problably a coated kerlon...condensation? never had a problem personally
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++