WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I was there last April during the week of Easter. I saw no snakes, thank goodness (the only animal I am scared of, maybe because I got 3 feet away from a copper head and 1 foot way from a huge rattle snake)

This was a really nice shelter, and loved the spring! There was a pipe with tons of water shooting out, plus water seeping out of the rock around the pipe. It all went down into a lush green, rocket, open land. I think I fell in love with it at first sight.

Great job on keeping the shelter clean, and snake free!

Anyone stay there lately? Staying Friday night.. how's the spring is it nearby?

I do believe it was Manasses Gap where back in 73 I came across a set of brand new heavy leather hiking boots, very pricey back than.
    It seams the owner had been late winter camping and attempted to dry his boots by the fire, one boot was totally toasted. He walked out in his booties or sox or whatnot. He did survive, very lucky.
    It had been a heavy snow year and I NB in april crossed several large snowdrifts still melting in the 80 degree temps.
    That was the tail I was told about the hiker, but there were reports of a very fat and satisfied copperhead in the area.
    nice shelter and we had quite an evenings discussion about those boots. We always figured if anyone else was ever stranded there and was hungry enough they could survive for awhile by eating the boots and left them beside the firepit.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I think that copperhead, or my likely its progeny, were still there along with a gigantic wood rat in the rafters when I (tried) to sleep overnight in October 2001!

Hard to believe that that spring wouldn't provide water, but things may have changed in a decade.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

I haven't overnighted there since last fall but the spring was running well then. Great place to hear trains in the distance as they cross a trestle at Compton Gap.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I hiked a few weeks ago in the relative area (I tented at Dicks Dome) so take this with a grain of salt but all springs in the area were flowing fine. We had some rain recently and I think you should be good.

Thanks all ill report in next on the shelter and such. Have. A great week

Spent some time there two weeks ago but just for a long lunch. Saw no rodents or snakes. Saw a bear about a mile north on the trail.

Manassas gap shelter was clean and piped spring was great. Just stopped for a rest and refill.

Stayed here last night. It was cold with lots of snow but the shelter was in great shape and clean. Spring was flowing great.

Journal Entries
    Images

Passed throught last night. Shelter was clean and tidy and the spring was still running strong.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

well I had a weird experience there in September this year.

first, have to say Jim & Molly Denton shelter is one of the nicest shelters on the AT

and the privy is also impressive...the caretaker supplied toilet paper and hand sanitizer gel, which amazed me

but...as I was exiting the privy early in the morning, my jacket sleeve got caught in the privy door latch, causing me to lose my balance, and fall off the privy platform, with a hard landing on my right shoulder as I impacted the ground beside the privy.

this may sound wierd, but for a brief moment, it felt as if someone was pushing me off the platform

are there any stories of ghosts at that shelter?

long story short, I had to cut short my hike, come home. Upon returning home, the Xrays showed I had a proximal humerus fracture on the shoulder.

wore an arm sling for 5 weeks

but it's better now...maybe one of Mosby's raiders pushed me off

Stopped at Manassas Gap yesterday for a short break on our hike from Weaverton Cliffs to Front Royal. That whole section had a tremendous amount of blowdown, Manassas Gap shelter looked like a tornado went thru. The shelter is fine, but many trees in the area litterally snapped in half from storms. The crews have been out clearing the trail and shelters.....much respect out to those folks, a huge job.
    The shelter and privy are intact, now a few less trees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++