WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone Review

In writing my first-time formal review, I will follow Sgt. Rock's gear review template for the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack.

Equipment: Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone backpack
    Quick Description: A mid-sized, lightweight, no-frills, full suspension, framed, top-loading pack designed to carry 20-35 pound loads.

Reviewer: Kerosene
    Height: 5' 9"
    Weight: 170 pounds

Experience: Over 1,500 backpacking miles, mostly on AT section hikes ranging from 3 to 30 days. Started in Boy Scouts in the late 60's (Eagle Scout-1971); Long Trail SOBO thru-hike in August, 1979; Half of AT completed as of 2003.

Similar Products Used: I started backpacking using one of those ugly, heavy canvas rucksacks in Scouts but moved to one of the first nylon packs with an external frame in 1971. I upgraded to a Kelty Tioga in the mid-70's and finally moved to a Dana Designs Terraplane X in 2000. I decided to try out a smaller, lighter pack for a week-long section hike around Roanoke, Virginia where I would not have to carry any more than 3 days of food. Pack weight for my early backpacking trips ranged from 33- to 58-pounds for a week (at the higher end when I had to carry some of my partner's gear to equalize our walking speeds), gradually falling to below 35 pounds a few years ago for fall hiking (mostly due to lighter, and less, equipment). I'd now characterize myself as a lightweight backpacker, but not ultralight by any means.

Locations/Conditions Tested:

(1) Shake-down Hike: Saturday, October 4, 2003 on the Waterloo-Pinckney Trail in southeast Michigan. Carried 30 pounds for 17 miles over relatively level terrain on an overcast fall day with temperatures around 50 degrees. I carried extra gear to stress the pack suspension with more weight than I planned to carry on my AT section hike later in the month.

(2) AT Section Hike: October 18 to 26, 2003 from Buena Vista south to Craig Creek Valley; 118 miles down the Blue Ridge and around Roanoke over a variety of terrain (387 vertical feet per mile on average). I experienced no rain(!) and moderate temperatures throughout the trip (34 to 70 degrees). Daily mileages of 11, 13, 18, 12, 14, 11, 18, 13, and 9 (13.1 miles per day).

Weight (advertised): 3 pounds, 0 ounces

Weight (as tested): 3 pounds, 1 ounce. This is not especially accurate, however, given the size of the postal scale I used to weigh the pack, but I believe that the advertised weight is very close to 3 pounds.

Price: $195, regardless of vendor (on-line, REI, Cabela's, Ann Arbor Wilderness Outfitters all quoted same price)

Manufacturer: Granite Gear (218-834-6157 (Minnesota)); [email protected]; http://www.GraniteGear.com)

Initial Impression:

I visited a local REI store with all of my gear to load up a Nimbus Ozone. The large single pocket absorbed all of my gear with the extension collar about half extended. The challenge would be in trying to keep everything accessible when needed. The 4.5 pound savings over my Dana Terraplane was immediately evident when I hoisted the pack to my shoulders.

I also packed up a Vapor Trail (the Nimbus Ozone’s smaller cousin weighing 2 pounds due to a more basic framesheet) but I liked the feel of the Ozone better and wanted to err on the side of comfort should my pack weight spike if I had to carry a lot more food. The Ozone’s framesheet covers the entire back of the pack and is heavily padded next to your back.

The Nimbus Ozone consists of a large tubular pocket (~3000 cubic inches) with an extension collar that adds another 800 cu. in. Since there is no top lid, the collar is rolled over and neatly double-cinched to close the main compartment, resulting in great headroom. The primary color of the pack is burnt sienna (okay, maybe rust) with black trim.

There is a deep stretch pocket on each side, big enough for a liter-sized water bottle plus one or two small items you want to keep readily accessible.

The overall profile of the pack is quite slim. The pack suspension is fully adjustable, with load lifters, hip cinchers, and the attendant compression straps that seemed a little superfluous for a full load of dense equipment.

I needed the standard size and decided to go with the thinner shoulder straps (size Medium), so I went to a local outfitter (Ann Arbor Wilderness Outfitters) since REI and Cabela’s would take too long to receive new stock.

Trail Testing:

I carried 20-25 pounds throughout my trip, re-supplying every 2-3 days to keep weight down. The pack proved to ride very well through 10-hour days. The one exception was a muscle strain in my left middle back which would appear after 3-4 hours of walking. I tend to walk very upright and was able to diminish the discomfort by forcing myself to slightly “slouch” into the curve of the non-adjustable framesheet. This may be the result of trading off the weight of custom-curved aluminum stays.

I decided to retrofit the waistbelt of the Nimbus Ozone with a 6-oz. Dana Designs Wet Rib to make it easier to get to water (I don’t use a bladder and this pack doesn’t have a compartment or tunnel to accommodate one) as well as my camera and trail treats.

I expected that the compression straps that wrap around the outside pockets would prove to be a clumsy design, but actually I found them pretty easy to work with (but still a poor design). I was able to configure the suspension quite easily.

Here is how I ended up packing the bag:

Main Compartment (top to bottom)
    Fleece & Comfort Clogs
    Hennessy Hammock
    Food Bag, sideways across the width of the compartment
    4 small ditty bags (first aid, water filter, personals, bathroom)
    Sleeping bag (15-degree Marmot Pinnacle)
    Therma-rest Ultra-lite ¾

Side Pockets
    Collapsible Nalgene 32-40 oz. water bottle
    Rain cover or Foot Care ditty bag

Dana Designs Wet Rib
    20 ounce squeeze water bottle
    Kodak disposable camera
    Trail map and guidebook pages
    Trail treats

Conclusions/Recommendations:

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend to anyone having the following characteristics and needs:

• Lighter total load weights (20-35 pounds)
    • Medium-to-large physique
    • Small personal shelter, such as hammock, bivy sack or tarp
    • No need to accommodate a water bladder
    • Willing to trade off compartmentized packing for lower weight

Individuals who consistently carry less than 20 pounds of total weight should also look at the Granite Gear Vapor Trail.

I would like to see a small zippered pocket for “personals” sewn into the main compartment, as well as an external bungee or pocket. However, I would sometimes cinch my fleece jacket outside the main compartment and would hang wet socks from the exterior compression straps. Finally, it would be nice to be able to replace the Wet Rib pocket with small pockets sewn into the hip belt.
    Last edited by attroll; 06-08-2006 at 01:21.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Default GG Ozone Review

Kerosene: Thanks for the first rate review ( compliments to Sgt. Rock). I am also looking at the GG line, and was wondering if you also checked out the big brother, Stratus Lattitude, which gives a few more cu & features. Given that I am neither ultra lite or a big pound pusher, I would like to find the perfect pack for the 35-45 pd., and not have to jerrymander a pack to fit or give up my usual gear. Any thoughts on the Lattitude. Thanks. Golfhiker.

Images

Golfhiker: Nope, I didn't look at the Stratus Lattitude when I did my comparison shopping a year ago. I was really trying to get serious about saving weight from my pack without sacrificing comfort. I think the Nimbus Ozone was a great compromise, although my last two hikes I probably could have gotten by with the Vapor Trail. If you think that you will really be carrying over 40 pounds, then I'd get something with a little beefier suspension. I've been very satisfied with GG's overall quality, so I would be comfortable pointing you in their direction. I ran across four other GG pack users (VT and NO models) and they all loved their packs.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Granite Gear

I can vouch for the durability of GG packs. I cut over to the Vapor Trail last year on my thru-hike when I hit Pearisburg, VA and dumped my heavier/warmer gear and clothing ...

Carried it to Katahdin without any problems. Smaller packs with a single pack bag force you to be a tad more organized but that's a small price to pay for a pack that weighs 2lbs and carries 26 pounds as comfortably as the Vapor Trail did for me.

Having said that though ...don't load the Vapor Trail with 30 pounds or more. It won't carry that weight very well and you'll be feeling the load on your shoulders.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Another advantage is the capability of adjusting the length of the shoulder straps individually at the point where they attach to the frame. One of my shoulders is naturally lower than the other, which means packs usually feel to be leaning left. With the Ozone system, one strap is attached to the pack at a point lower than the other strap. This helps square the pack to my different shoulder heights. I used this pack for a week-end trip in January and found I had to make the straps that hold the top closed longer to fit all my stuff. For winter day trips, it worked well, crampomns and snowshoes were easily attached. I originally I got this pack to use in the fall when I wanted to carry more warm clothing and sleeping bag and I noticed the lack of a helping hip belt on the six moon design pack I use in the summer. In short, the Ozone is comfortable, spacious and durable.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Default Lid?

I understand Granite Gear offers a lid w/pocket for this pack now. Anyone have experience with it?

The new model does in fact have a water bladder lid. It's on the inside of the pack, against the frame. The top of the pocket is about four inches below the top of the pack. It's pretty deep and has an adjustable shock cord that can be used to cinch the pocket closed. There's also a port toward the bottom of the extension collar through which you can run the hose. I haven't tested it out yet, but it seems like a pretty good setup.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjohnd
    I understand Granite Gear offers a lid w/pocket for this pack now. Anyone have experience with it?
    TheSaint is correct, but they also offer a new top lid that closes up over the cinch string. I'm curious as to what it offers beyond a tidy closure. I'd really like a zippered pocket or two for personal effects.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    TheSaint is correct, but they also offer a new top lid that closes up over the cinch string. I'm curious as to what it offers beyond a tidy closure. I'd really like a zippered pocket or two for personal effects.
    I ordered one (only $20 - no big investment -- Hey Sarge - impule buy for $20 bodes well for your ION Stove!) and I'll let you know more details about it once it arrives. It is a lid over the top with a zipper pouch for small stuff - the question I have is how small...

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Excellent review. Ive been wanting to try out the Vapor Trail, but am not sure how it would work with our 2-man tent. I tend to carry the entire tent rather than splitting it with my wife. Weight wouldnt be an issue for me, as I keep it pretty light, but Im worried about space.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Solemate, being that your other gear is small and compact, you could put your tent in a smaller stuff sack, and carry the poles on the outside. I place my sleeping bag on the bottom, along with my full size Thermarest Ultralite, my Tarptent Virga, without pole. Next, my kitchen stuff sack, clothes. Then throw in my rain gear, tp, and first aid etc.., Place my food bag, or bags on top. By the way, my small tent pole goes in the area behind the shoulder straps, along side my platy with hoser. It's a great pack. But we sell more Ozones than any other pack, at the store where I work. A good outfitter, might let you take it home overnight, to play with.
    Singletrack

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates
    Excellent review. Ive been wanting to try out the Vapor Trail, but am not sure how it would work with our 2-man tent. I tend to carry the entire tent rather than splitting it with my wife. Weight wouldnt be an issue for me, as I keep it pretty light, but Im worried about space.
    I carry our Tarptent squall on the outside of my Vapor Trail, cinched down with the three compression straps on the back. Works real well, and you don't have to put the wet tent inside the pack. As long as your tent is relatively light, this is the way to go (squall is 2 lbs). The stuff sack of the squall sees some abuse, but not too bad...

Gravity

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Sounds like 2 very good plans. Either tent inside, poles out. Or entire tent out. I would like to try it out if I can get my hands on a Vapor Trail. We carry the Mtn Harwear Waypoint II by the way, which is around 3.5lbs.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I saw a handful of thru-hikers this spring in north Georgia who had their tent and/or sleeping pad lashed to the outside of their Vapor Trail pack. It seemed to be holding up well for them.

Default Granite Gear packs

Kerosene:

What a great post!

Here's my two cents:

While working last spring at Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs, I helped dozens of thru-hikers who, after three to four weeks on the Trail, discovered that they wanted to switch backpacks.

The most popular new packs by far were the Granite Gear Ozone and Vapor Trail. (Followed by the Osprey Aether 60 for anyone who's interested).

I was fortunate enough to encounter many of these folks later on down the Trail, including some of them in Harper's Ferry, where I was living and working for June and most of July. This was more than 700 trail miles after they'd purchased new backpacks. Almost without exception, the folks I'd fitted and worked with in Hot Springs were delighted with the decisions they'd made.

I ran into some of these folks still later, in Port Clinton; Vermont; Hanover; and Maine. And again, they were still happy.

I have never personally owned or worn a Granite Gear Pack but in my experience with other hikers last year, which was not inconsiderable, I can't think of a current backpacking manufacturer who seems to have produced more satisfied customers.

I'm still loyal to Osprey, but Granite Gear, in my opinion, makes great stuff.

Images

Lightbulb Granite Gear Lid

I got my Granite Gear Lid today! I have attached some pics to show it off - the dimensions are 12" long x 11" wide. It weighs 2.4 oz. It really seems too small to be used for a water bladder, as I think I read somewhere, but it does have plenty of room for the small stuff floating in your pack.

I bought mine from Backcountry Gear and was very pleased with the service - it was backordered and I was contacted within a day to be sure I wanted to wait an extra 3-4 days until the next shipment arrived. Obviously I did, and here it is.

The lid attaches to the load lifter strap buckles at the top rear of the pack. It was a tight fit to get the lid over the buckle, but it slid right on. The front has a strap and fastex buckle that loops over a strap on the front of the pack. I have loaded mine with my data pouch (maps, journal, guidebook, microcassette recorder & 3 tapes, and a pen), my misc kit (6 AAA batteries, ripstop nylon tape, spare lighter, pair bootlaces), Petzl Zipka, 35' 3mm rope (w/small caribeaner for bearbagging), and my first aid/grooming kit. I am confident I could add a small gorp bag (snack size ziploc bag) and maybe a few other commonly used small items.

Hope this helps those of you thinking about buying one - I haven't had it out of the house yet (unless you count from the mailbox to the door) but loading my pack has shown me that I am glad I have it!

Oh - and the zipper seems pretty watertight, but I have no idea about the rest of the fabric.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

I got my Granite Gear Lid today!
    It looks like it is made from the same stretchy material as the side water bottle pockets. Correct?

BTW, the new Ozones have a hydration sleeve and port.

The "best" things about the Ozone are the fact that both the hipbelt and shoulderstraps can be replaced with different sized components (mens/womens s-xxl) and that the torso length is fully adjustable. Too many lightweight packs are one size fits some (but not me). Which really sucks.

I did noticed that the compression straps across the front are a bit too short. You can barely fit a rolled ridgerest under the straps. Seems sort of odd as they almost beg to be used for that purpose. Also, the lower side compression straps are about worthless as most folks don't need to compress their water bottles.

If it had hipbelt pockets (once you owned a pack with them you wonder why any idiot would want a lid), it would be the perfect packet for heavy loads (20-40#).

I'm going to my local outfitters today at lunch to make sure all my gear (plus stuff for 2 kids) fits. I'll report back after lunch to let you folks know how it goes.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I got my Granite Gear Lid today! I have attached some pics to show it off - the dimensions are 12" long x 11" wide. It weighs 2.4 oz.
    ===============================
    Thanks for the write-up. I have one coming from Backcountry Gear also. It was backordered too. Either they're really popular or they don't keep many in stock.

From the looks of things and your review it is going to work out just fine. I may try and cram my 1.8 Liter Platy in there and see how it works. Right now I roll it up in the storm collar of my Vapor Trail and just hang the tube over my shoulder.

Again ...thanks for the write-up and pics. A lot more than Granite Gear has on their website.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142
    I'm going to my local outfitters today at lunch to make sure all my gear (plus stuff for 2 kids) fits. I'll report back after lunch to let you folks know how it goes.
    I manged to get all of the gear in/on the pack. Including 3 sleeping bags, "camp clothes" for 3, 3 sets of raingear (tops only), 3 person shelter (tarptent), 2qt pot, canister stove, misc stuff (tooth brushes, first aid, firestarter, bearbag rope, etc.) and food for 3 days. I put 2qts of water in softsided Nalgene cantenes in the water bottle pockets. And was able to barely squeeze the sleeping pads under the "too short" center compression straps on the front of the pack. Total approximate weight of 35+#.

The pack carries the weight perfectly (though my body doesn't care for it too much). I was wearing a regular torso length pack with medium "trim" shoulderstraps and men's medium hipbelt.

Even at the lowest torso length the straps did not quite wrap around my shoulders, so I might get the short torso. The medium hipbelt was fine on my gut. GG told me that the men's large hipbelt has 1.5" more padding on each side of the belt. I'm too afraid I might not be able to get the belt tight enough with the extra padding. Especially if I were to lose even a few pounds. I want the wider ("Regular") shoulder straps, but I might switch to a shorter length to prevent the buckle from being right in the soft part of my armpit (ouch!).

I'll probably get the pack. If I decide to "settle" for the minor issue of the regular torso length (shoulderstrap a bit too high), I can buy it locally (for $170). Otherwise, I'll need to get it from bcg.com.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Images

I threaded shock cord through the side straps across the front of the pack - I find that to be better for holding my pad on. I think you can see the setup in one of my above pics...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++