Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Do you have privacy to change in a shelter?

Hi everyone,

I was thinking that after a long day of hiking, and perhaps there are open spots in the shelter, so you don't want to set up your tent, where do you change out of your sweaty hiker clothes and into your dry camp clothes, if you don't have the privacy of your tent, and there are people in the shelter? Oh heck...let's go ahead and say it's pouring rain too...so you can't really change outside. Do people just "turn around" or how does it work?

I'll put a disclaimer on this post in that I think in general...clothing is just stupid...I hate it, and I'm not the most modest person (nor am I a size 5....or 10....or 12 for that matter ), but that's an entirely different discussion. I just wondered what us ladies do. Thanks!

Images

No privacy, really. Best thing to do is drape your sleeping bag over you while you change, or just change in the open if you don't care who see's you.

Images

Some of us have manners, I would turn around if asked, probably even if not asked.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Well if not raining I usually just go behind the shelter or off into the woods a bit. If I'm stuck in the shelter I'll just crawl into my sleeping bag and change in there. Its kind of a pain but thats just life in shelters.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Some of us have manners, I would turn around if asked, probably even if not asked.
    i'm with you on that, most of us men on the trail give you gals the respect that you need out there.......i have never encountered any lady telling me they had any problems out there other than some guy being more interested in them than they want........

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

I've changed in a shelter many times......may crawl into the bag for undies and such....but most, even if they see you start to change will just face the other way........ There is a different standard of respect on the trail....better then in the real world I've found

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

All you have to do is ask. From my memory the majority of lady hikers I met on my thru in 2003 just went to the back of the shelter (all of 6 feet away), turned around and changed clothes. The other alternative that I saw somewhat frequently was to crawl in your sleeping bag and change clothes.

Either way, you will not have COMPLETE privacy but from my experience your needs will be respected by other hikers.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

This question reminds me one time of a girl that did a cloths change inside her sleeping bag that would make Houdini look like an amateur. I don't think you'll have any privacy problems on the trail, but don't blame me if your picture shows up in the WB Gallery. LOL

I've never seen or heard of a problem with simply asking for folks to turn their backs. Except once...

That was a case of a hiker coming to the shelter with a family of tourons already spread out over the place, and unhappy to share. When the hiker proceeded to change into dry clothes, the parents were aghast at what they felt was exhibitionism.

Tourons, they are sometimes trouble. For those that don't know thats a cross between a tourist and a moron.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Go to a corner of the shelter, and just announce, "If y'all don't want to see it, look away now!" Most hikers will respect that, and if one doesn't, oh well...

This thread has helped me answer a question I've had for a long time, which is: "Why do some shelters have holes in the rear wall"

Images

Some bags are a tight fit so a cheap poncho could do the covering up and give you lots of room to move around under.

Wooooooooooo....... lets get some prespective here. We generally refer to the hiking community as sort of a " brotherhood", each respecting the other and watching out for each other. With this said, I got to believe all any one needs to do is ask others to turn away for a moment while I slip into something a little less ripe.
    My guns are not as dangerous as Ted Kennedy's car

Default from the soup natzi

no clothes for you ,.......one year.!

Images

well ive seen women start to change and I just look the other way... Most other hikers will look away when you change, its just the way hickers are..
    It's better to try and fail than not to try at all!
    Stoned Bear

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

As others have noted, the fellows will look away when asked (or even without being asked). I have changed while in my poncho - arms and all - in crowded situations. I did this at Trail Days.

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

I'm always afraid some woman may ravage me, so I hide in the woods. Well, some women find beer guts irresistable.....
    You are in heaven.

Some of the new privys are wonderful dressing rooms or behind the shelters or please turn your back. They all work.

Don't be afraid to ask someone to turn their head. I've had guys ask so they could change underware! If the shelter is crowded, I usually change behind the shelter. I've run into shelters where the privy had no door. Then we all agreed to use a bandana tied to a tree at the beginning of the privy trail to indicate "occupied"! Panties aren't too hard to swap under the sleeping bag, however, a wet sports bra is impossible. I usually just face an unoccupied corner and quickly change it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++