WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Dogs Leashed, Doesn't Matter or Other

Voters
72. This poll is closed
  • Leashed at ALL times: I've spent many nights on trails and have logged many miles.

41 56.94%
  • Doesn't matter to me. I've spent many nights on trails and have logged many miles.

15 20.83%
  • Leashed at ALL times: I'm relatively new to hiking.

2 2.78%
  • Doesn't matter to me. I'm relatively new to hiking.

1 1.39%
  • Other: Give explanation along with trail experience.

13 18.06%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dog Poll: Leashed or Unleashed

Maybe this poll will be a little more representative with concern about dogs on the trail.

Near Ashby Gap, VA, the Sky Meadows State Park, through which the AT now goes, has a zero tolerance policy for dogs not on a leash and a $95 fine for the first offense. The rules are posted near the Visitors' Center, but not on the AT.

My hiking partner "got caught" when she let her dog off the leash for a brief moment, knowing she was violating the rules. The park ranger just happened to see this occur and was not at liberty to ignore this because of the complaints the park had received. She "got off", but I won't share why she did. If she had to pay the fine, she would more keenly recall the incident.
    Last edited by LostInSpace; 06-13-2006 at 15:06.
    "Space and time are not conditions in which we live; they are simply modes in which we think," Albert Einstein

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

I have no problems with dogs on the trail - I have taken mine out a few times, but she is not a trail hound. I believe that all dogs should be on a leash at all times (I even keep in on in the tent just in case) because it I feel it is what a responsible dog owner should do. Furthermore, I have no problem stopping for dinner at a shelter with my pooch, but I would not spend the night there because I know other people might not enjoy sleeping with my pooch. Shelters are for people not pets. How many incidents (on or off the trail) start with "my dog would never..." and end with some kind of tragedy?
    So be it.
    --John

Images

Keep 'em leashed and most of the problems would be solved.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Images

I just voted Leashed 100% of the time as it's the closest choice to what we do but that's not exactly accurate. We do let our shephard off leash when he's in the tent with us. Outside the tent he's on leash 100% of the time.

Many nights on trail, many miles logged.

I voted other. Almost all the time, but dog's do need a little running exercise. If you've got good voice control of your dog and an open space like a field, a little frisbie, ball or stick throwing is ok in my book. Most dogs would be too tired for this after hiking though.

IMO, a dog shouldn't be off leash around strangers or the strong potential to have strangers come along. That turns out to be a lot of the time for many hikers. Never off leash directly on the trail. Anyone coming towards you can be perceived as a threat by a dog.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default Definitely on-leash

I voted other since I am between the newbie hiker and the "spent many nights and logged many miles" groups (I've been hiking since I was 10 but have only backpacked a couple times).

I always keep my dog on leash on-trail and would if I were to stop at a shelter. I always step a ways off the trail with my dog and make them sit to give other hikers room to pass (my dogs are nervous around some people so better safe than sorry). However, I agree with one poster who says if you can get away from the trail and there is little chance of meeting someone then it is ok for them to get in a little off-leash time.

I also stay in a tent with my dog(s) so as not to bother others at shelters, not that we have been out more than a couple nights with our dogs.

When I established the poll I considered the Trail to mean the actual Path, the shelters, water sources or anyplace where close contact with other hikers can't easily be avoided. Not areas away from the trail proper, such as open fields, towns and parks.

In addition, if one is climbing a fire-tower, or other stucture , the dog should be tied up, out of the way of other hikers.

Images

Default Akewed Polling

You must be a professional pollster because the disclaimer/conditionals make this a very unbalanced poll. I would say that it is weighted in favour of "no dogs". Kinda a "vote no if you agree" type of setup.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillwalker
    You must be a professional pollster because the disclaimer/conditionals make this a very unbalanced poll. I would say that it is weighted in favour of "no dogs". Kinda a "vote no if you agree" type of setup.
    Actually, I was going to put an "NO DOGS ALLOWED AT ALL" choice, but since dogs are allowed on the majority of the trail, I chose not to.

The question to me, really comes down to: How many rules do i want to deal with? Generally i don't like rules. ( I don't really like dogs that much either but that's beside my point)
    Where i am living now, here in THailand, there are not many rules at all. That's one of the reasons why i choose to live here. I like being able to drive on either side of the road, go thru redlights if no one is around, not wear a motorcyle helmet (someplaces make you though), be able to swim whenever i want (even when the red flags are out, the lifeguards still won't stop you), my wife can sell food on any streetcorner with no license, etc.
    But you will never see a dog on a leash here in Thailand. What this does is tends to create packs of semi-wild dogs all over the place. Now, these dogs seem to know that they cannot bite people and it seldom happens, but i do get scared sometimes when i'm the only person at the beach and theres 40 dogs there eyeing me up.
    I still voted no leash in the poll simply cause i don't like rules but the consequences can be frightening.
    After all, America is a free country right? (just don't try to go to Cuba, it can be very expensive)

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead
    .....But you will never see a dog on a leash here in Thailand........
    That's because the dog was somebodys lunch! GOT DOG?

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Default other...

"Leashed at ALL times" would be best of the two choices.

I really do not think that it is possible or humane to keep a dog "Leashed at ALL times" on anything more than a short day hike so I voted other.

Default Leashed. Always.

I was hiking southbound on the AT in Massachusetts. About a quarter mile away was Shay's Rebellion Monument.
    A blue minivan pulled off the road, a guy got out and opened the side door and four dogs jumped out and began running up the trail. They saw me and ran straight towards me barking: 2 German shepards and 2 black labs.
    I felt a shot of panic. This was in a field and there was nothing I could pick up to defend myself.
    I yelled "Call your dogs!"
    They guy yelled but the dogs didn't pay attention. The shepards came up to me first, not friendly but not aggressive either. Same with the labs. All four raced on down the trail.
    When the guy finally reached me he said, "I'm sorry, I never would have let them run if I thought someone was coming."
    Scared me to death. I was so relieved that I didn't get into it, just kept walking.
    Once the adrenaline subsided I was really angry at being confronted like that. Hikers could always be coming. Keep your dog leashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    Actually, I was going to put an "NO DOGS ALLOWED AT ALL" choice, but since dogs are allowed on the majority of the trail, I chose not to.
    No, you didn't put that one in because you know it would be the largest vote by far. I have yet to see any dog person keep their dog on a leash and I do not expect to see one. As I've said before there are more sharks on the trail than leashed dogs.

Images

I tend to agree with Blue Jay here. We often here people say things about always having their dog on the trail at all times, but my experience tells me otherwise. Then there was this:

Public lands managers have found that even where dogs on leash are permitted on trails, owners often allow their dogs to run free. In a survey conducted at Angeles National Forest, where dogs are allowed on trails as long as they are on a leash, 90 percent of the dogs observed on trails were off leash (Chester, 2003).
    National Park Service. (2003). Park Net. Retrieved 14 June 2006 from http://www.nps.gov/jotr/manage/dogs/dogs.html

So it seems that this is one of those things I learned about in Anthropology about how people report they act based on how they know they should act vs. how they really act.

Oh, and honestly those poll answers are sort of hard to figure what I am voting for. I think I voted how I wanted to.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 06-14-2006 at 12:27.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    No, you didn't put that one in because you know it would be the largest vote by far. I have yet to see any dog person keep their dog on a leash and I do not expect to see one. As I've said before there are more sharks on the trail than leashed dogs.
    I personally think dogs should not be allowed on the trail, PERIOD. For the same reasons Baxter SP and the GSMNP does not allow them. I quote:

" After much thought and many years of the public using the Park with their pets, Baxter decided there should be at least one place in Maine where wild animals could roam free without fear of or exposure to domesticated pets and the associated parasite and disease transmission which might affect either population irreversibly. Please respect the sacrifice Percival Baxter made himself and asked all pet lovers to make: do not bring your dog into the park. Violating this park regulation or any park regulation subjects you to law enforcement action, not the way we, as park staff, enjoy greeting you after a long hike."

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority....ru-hiking.html

NOTE: BSP did allow pets in the park for years. They are trying to prevent spread of disease. I feel the A.T. authorities should also take the same position as Baxter SP or the GSMNP and ban ALL dogs leashed or unleashed from the entire A.T. !!!

OK, will the powers at WB please add to my poll "ALL DOGS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM THE ENTIRE AT" Change my vote to that, and please accomadate any of the dozen or so if they wish to change. thank you.

Images

i see no problem with a dog off a leash but you should keep one handy and follow the regulations for the area you are in plus some people don't like dogs at all so you should keep in mind that you may not always be able to camp with a large group of people

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++