WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Dogs Leashed, Doesn't Matter or Other

Voters
72. This poll is closed
  • Leashed at ALL times: I've spent many nights on trails and have logged many miles.

41 56.94%
  • Doesn't matter to me. I've spent many nights on trails and have logged many miles.

15 20.83%
  • Leashed at ALL times: I'm relatively new to hiking.

2 2.78%
  • Doesn't matter to me. I'm relatively new to hiking.

1 1.39%
  • Other: Give explanation along with trail experience.

13 18.06%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

My dog Suzi logged 68 days on the trail last year and she never once had an injury. No torn pads, bumps, scrapes, strains, sprains, etc. She's a very active dog and I prepared her for this type of activity. She runs with me 4-6 days per week and swims for an hour 3-4 times per week. Some dogs aren't meant for backpacking but others are. I have her checked out by my vet after any trip over 3 days and she's always returned with a clean bill of health. My other dog Maggie logged somewhere around 30 days last year and she too had no injuries. Base your decision to leave your dog at home on their abilities and your ability to properly control your dog(s) at all times.

Yes, I'm for dogs on the trail but I do see the other side of the coin. There are a lot, A LOT of irresponsible dog owners who are giving a bad name for all dogs on the trail.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Phreak, you always seem to be giving us your resume or a dogs in this case, just bring your dog and let the chips lie where they fly. No bad dogs just mental owners,I'm sure Suzi and you will do great next year . Was Suzi on a leash for most of the 68 days? It seems that would be cruel but how else would you have Suzi under "properly control ....at all times" if not ?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Tortuga
    Phreak, you always seem to be giving us your resume or a dogs in this case, just bring your dog and let the chips lie where they fly. No bad dogs just mental owners,I'm sure Suzi and you will do great next year . Was Suzi on a leash for most of the 68 days? It seems that would be cruel but how else would you have Suzi under "properly control ....at all times" if not ?
    LOL. Wow, how could such a simple post upset you so much? I train dogs for a living, but I must assume you have some expertise in this field (?). Care to share any pearls of wisdom?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Tortuga
    Was Suzi on a leash for most of the 68 days? It seems that would be cruel but how else would you have Suzi under "properly control ....at all times" if not ?
    Having a dog on a leash is cruel? Tell me this is a joke. This rates as one of the most ignorant statements I've heard on WB. Bravo! Bravo!

Dogs are domesticated animals and don't belong in the wilderness. I wish the AT were reserved for those who care about wildness, wildlife, peace of the wilderness. I can think of nothing more insensitive (after smoking at a shelter or littering the place) than letting a dog run along the trail unleashed. It's darn right rude. I don't see why dog lovers don't see that.

Images

the dogs I met this spring on the trail were all unleashed and yet always under control of their masters, very well behaved and attentive to masters commands.now dogs ive met during dayhikes and some section hikes, a whole different story, and while the dog is running at me, I always hear the same thing."don't worry , hes friendly".

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Dogs are domesticated animals and don't belong in the wilderness.
    and we humans do? Keep em on a leash, out of shelters....No problems.

David, should we ban all smoking and dogs from the AT ?? what about a smoking section 150 feet away from shelters.... maybe we can put yellow tape around it, put some cigarette butte containers ( you know the bright yellow ones)... maybe even concrete an area so we don't have to worry about fires.. maybe then we can work on loud mouth idiots at the shelter, they bother me MUCH more then smokers or dogs.. can we ban them too ?? maybe they can have their own area ??? they are SOOO much more insensitive then smokers.... maybe all weed smokers too, ban them, drunks.. there gone, who wants a drunk around, anyone with the name hikerboy gots to go! and heck while we are at it ban anyone under the age of 25!! damn young whippersnappers!! If we banned everything that SOMEONE thinks is rude or "insensitive", there wouldn't be anyone hiking.... you might hate dogs, other people love seeing them. you might hate smokers, but other smokers love smokers, and there are ALOT of them on the AT.

Images

if you want a wilderness experience, you need to find a trail other than the at, and there are plenty.and no dogs. wolves maybe-no leashes.

it has always cracked me up people wanting this "wilderness experience", so they go hiking on the AT with 2,000 thru hikers,100,000+ day hikers.. on a trail made by man, to shelters made by man

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    it has always cracked me up people wanting this "wilderness experience", so they go hiking on the AT with 2,000 thru hikers,100,000+ day hikers.. on a trail made by man, to shelters made by man
    again, all these issues-dogs,smoking, cell phones, etc. are always more of a problem on line than on trail.somehow everyone finds a way to get along, then they come home and start typing....and that's when the trouble began.....

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    again, all these issues-dogs,smoking, cell phones, etc. are always more of a problem on line than on trail.somehow everyone finds a way to get along, then they come home and start typing....and that's when the trouble began.....

Very true...

Off-leash is fine, if it's been fricassed in a subtle black bean sauce. General Tso style isn't bad, either.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Dogs are domesticated animals and don't belong in the wilderness. I wish the AT were reserved for those who care about wildness, wildlife, peace of the wilderness. I can think of nothing more insensitive (after smoking at a shelter or littering the place) than letting a dog run along the trail unleashed. It's darn right rude. I don't see why dog lovers don't see that.

Uh 50 years old and you drag up a 2006 thread and have been here since 2005, and you make the comment "It's darn right rude. I don't see why dog lovers don't see that" I can see your problem.. You need a leash on your fingers... that would be my solution. Thanks...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Never met a dog I didn't like. Some of them need to do a better job training thier owners though.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Uh 50 years old and you drag up a 2006 thread and have been here since 2005, and you make the comment "It's darn right rude. I don't see why dog lovers don't see that" I can see your problem.. You need a leash on your fingers... that would be my solution. Thanks...
    I was wondering the same thing. Nothing like resurrecting a thread that's been inactive for seven years for the sole purpose of complaining.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well we have been on the same page for a long time....Sarcasm... I have my fair share of mistakes ... but we are all adults here... some are not as good as others... as our parents would say "Oh its just a phase"

When I see posts like that - we all know I do not hold back... its not personal but as one man to another "GROW A PAIR"
    Its not rude... this is practical, I have been mauled by a German Shepard, trampled by a horse, pissed on by animals in the night, covered in bats down my back, no I will never be "skunked", pulled Raccoons out of attics, caught grey squirrels bare handed.... Caught fish bare handed. Caught Snakes Bare handed... (dinner) Caught rabbits bare handed. (Dinner) .. Yes I have been bitten by snakes... it sucks.. Caught and released endangered species ...

Dogs, Coyotes, Wolves are separated by a few genes over 100,000 years... I have personally seen and run into Coyotes ON THE AT. Now you know what I think.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Strange - dogs are permitted in the Whites, and Dave is from NH. I think trails are great for giving my dog off leash exercise.

I've logged a lot of miles on NH trails with my dog off leash, and she's never been a problem on day hikes. I call her the "social director of the trail." She checks out every person she meets to make sure they're having a good time. If that happens to involve petting her, so much the better, but she isn't rude about it. We do leash her when we stop for lunch, because she would be a pest begging for food. She doesn't jump or make a pest of herself on the trail, even though she used to do that on walks around the neighborhood on a leash.

She hates the tent and barks like mad at night at every little sound though, so we don't make her do overnights.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Old thread that was started by an old troll. Closed.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++